E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Windshield etched/scratched after dealer installed new wipers!

01-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
edb5020
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Windshield etched/scratched after dealer installed new wipers!

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted, but here's a tricky one for you.

About a month ago I brought my car in to have service done because:

1) My car needed an O2 sensor.

2) When they replaced the O2 sensor, the tech damaged my B pillar high gloss trim and weather stripping --- Which of course the car had to go back again and that was fixed, on the house of course.

3) Had my wipers changed out.

Well, about 3 weeks later, I noticed the new wipers "etched" my windhsield with multiple lines in the pattern that the windshield wipers sweep across the windshield. These sweeping marks are very visible from inside the car in direct OR indirect sunlight. The only time you CAN'T pick them up is on a cloudy day, or at night, etc. (Even though at night the oncoming traffic headlighs tend to show these imperfections.

I wish I had pictures but I didn't take any but I'm sure if I left the flash on it would pick these "scratches" up in the picture.

It's very distracting when I drive down a highway in sunlight. It makes like a 'rainbow' effect from the light hitting these marks (like light going through a prism).

Anyway, the car is at the dealer as I type and the SA said he's not to sure what they're going to do because "this is a weird one" lol!

So, obvisouly I know the only way for these to go away is of course to have the windhield REPLACED. What do you think my chances are of this happening? BTW, the car is less than 5 months old, and this is the dealership that I purchased it from --> and they know I'm not stupid and they cannot just give it back saying "We cleaned the windshield" lol

2011 BMW 328i X-drive Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Oyster Leather/Light Burl Walnut Trim/Step/Premium Package/Sport Package/NAV/Harman Kardon Sound/Heated Steering Wheel/Xenon
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

I don't see how wipers can "etch" a glass windshield. In the 37 years I've been driving I've never had this happen. Maybe the blade is bad and is wiping unevenly. You can clean the windshield with soap and water and clean the blades at the same time. If this does not work, get new blades.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
edb5020
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I don't see how wipers can "etch" a glass windshield. In the 37 years I've been driving I've never had this happen. Maybe the blade is bad and is wiping unevenly. You can clean the windshield with soap and water and clean the blades at the same time. If this does not work, get new blades.
Well, my first impression was that the blades were faulty. But replacing the blades does not solve the problem with the windshield.

In 37 years I'm sure you have to understand that as the blades go back and forth repeatedly, that will wear the glass and create imperfections. (Whether theirs dirt, debris or whatever on the blades/glass)

2011 BMW 328i X-drive Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Oyster Leather/Light Burl Walnut Trim/Step/Premium Package/Sport Package/NAV/Harman Kardon Sound/Heated Steering Wheel/Xenon
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb5020 View Post
Well, my first impression was that the blades were faulty. But replacing the blades does not solve the problem with the windshield.

In 37 years I'm sure you have to understand that as the blades go back and forth repeatedly, that will wear the glass and create imperfections. (Whether theirs dirt, debris or whatever on the blades/glass)
I understand this but rubber does not scratch or wear glass. In 37 years when my wipers became worn and I saw streaking on the windshield, I replaced the blades and the problem went away.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
i hope they replace it for you, but i doubt it
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
edb5020
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I understand this but rubber does not scratch or wear glass. In 37 years when my wipers became worn and I saw streaking on the windshield, I replaced the blades and the problem went away.
It actually does at a very very fine level, after the blades go across over and over and over, plus these BMW windhields are not the hardest, every little rock or grain from the road nicks the windshield.

Also, I am not talking about streaking windshield wipers here.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I also have an etch in my windshield from the drivers side wiper. A single etch line that follows the entire path of the wiper. I have no idea how I got it tho, probably some fine dust or maybe a very tiny rock got stuck in the blade and did it.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #8
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Unfortunate, but I dont think the blades are ever at fault. One needs to wipe the bottom of the blades often if you don't like that annoying appearance. Acceptance of imperfections is a good idea too.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
edb5020
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
Unfortunate, but I dont think the blades are ever at fault. One needs to wipe the bottom of the blades often if you don't like that annoying appearance. Acceptance of imperfections is a good idea too.
I'd love to accept this, but seriously, if you took my car and drove it down the highway on a sunny day, you'd say "Whoa, WTF happened to your glass". It's honestly distracting.

BTW, just got a call from the dealership, they can't pinpoint it, so they want me to show them. The only thing is, it's not sunny today, and it's hard to see at all angles unless the sun is out.

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #10
xxp0loxx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 Space Gray ACS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
I also have an etch in my windshield from the drivers side wiper. A single etch line that follows the entire path of the wiper. I have no idea how I got it tho, probably some fine dust or maybe a very tiny rock got stuck in the blade and did it.
have this as well.
      01-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #11
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

It's not a big deal. The OEM Saint Gobain Sekurit is about $900 installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #12
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by edb5020 View Post
I'd love to accept this, but seriously, if you took my car and drove it down the highway on a sunny day, you'd say "Whoa, WTF happened to your glass". It's honestly distracting.

BTW, just got a call from the dealership, they can't pinpoint it, so they want me to show them. The only thing is, it's not sunny today, and it's hard to see at all angles unless the sun is out.

Sorry to hear this and I won't dispute how bad it looks as surprising as it is. I'll be interested to know how the dealer responds. I'll be even more careful about cleaning the wiper after hearing this.
Appreciate 0