E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Best "Stealth" Aftermarket Fluids???

01-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #1
CRG3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M-Sport

Best "Stealth" Aftermarket Fluids???

Any recommendations for high performance, aftermarket MT and Diff fluids that look OEM - and won't be recognized by the dealership as being non-OEM, and ultimately won't have the potential to void my warranty? That way, if I were to have a major tranny issue, for example, the dealership won't try void my warranty by being able to tell I was using a non-BMW fluid.

I'm old school and plan to do a 1200 mile break-in fluid change. There are lots of recommendations for Redline, Royal Purple, Motul, and similar products. However, do any of these look like (ie. same color) as OEM BMW fluid?
From my old Honda days, I seem to remember Redline MTL as being a reddish color. How about Royal Purple Synchromax, does it have a distinctive color?

Anyway, any recommendation for a good "stealth" MT and also Diff oil would be appreciated. Thanks!
      01-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

BMW considers those fluids lifetime now

So its not likely they will ever look at it.
If they are a better spec than stock what could the problem be.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
whats the difference? after a few thousand they all look the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRG3 View Post
Any recommendations for high performance, aftermarket MT and Diff fluids that look OEM - and won't be recognized by the dealership as being non-OEM, and ultimately won't have the potential to void my warranty? That way, if I were to have a major tranny issue, for example, the dealership won't try void my warranty by being able to tell I was using a non-BMW fluid.

I'm old school and plan to do a 1200 mile break-in fluid change. There are lots of recommendations for Redline, Royal Purple, Motul, and similar products. However, do any of these look like (ie. same color) as OEM BMW fluid?
From my old Honda days, I seem to remember Redline MTL as being a reddish color. How about Royal Purple Synchromax, does it have a distinctive color?

Anyway, any recommendation for a good "stealth" MT and also Diff oil would be appreciated. Thanks!
Why in the world would you use something other than what BMW recommends? What is to be gained by doing this? You are already doing more than BMW requires by doing a 1200 change. Am I missing something here?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
madeinhongkong
Brigadier General
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
whats the difference? after a few thousand they all look the same.

Word.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
sdavidson0316
BimmerN00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Black/Black

<these are generic statements that apply to a wide range of cars. Specific application to BMWs is not something I know a lot about so I won't comment>

From a shifting perspective GM Synchromesh FM (the Z06 fluid) is consistently a solid performer among Manual Transmission enthusiasts. It typically has to be special ordered, most Chevy places don't keep the FM in stock. If you live in a cold climate it can be a little tricky/sticky when it's <20 degrees though.

As for diff fluid, Lubrication Engineers LE1605 is widely considered to be the best diff fluid money can buy. The problem is that it usually has to be purchased in 5g increments.
Appreciate 0