E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > gasoline smell on cold start

01-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

gasoline smell on cold start

hi guys,

just noticed a very strong (raw) gasoline smell when starting my car for the first time today. i only had to back the car up just a foot, so as soon as i stepped out, the smell hit me. it's about 60 degrees out, so it's not particularly cold. i sniffed around, and the smell definitely smelled strongest by the exhaust pipes.

is this normal? i don't normally get out 10 seconds after starting a car, so i may have just never noticed.

the car is a bone stock 330i, fully equipped, AT, and out of warranty (60K miles). it's had a handful of issues, but none related to fuel yet. although i do sometimes get a very hard shudder at idle/stoplights. not a constant rough idle shudder, but a straight-up "was that an earthquake?" shudder. never any CELs or codes though. dunno if that's fuel related.

anyone have any insight? i don't know of any good independent shops around here yet, and would rather not do the whole dealer thing if it can be avoided.

thanks,
dave
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Did the smell go away shortly thereafter?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

hmm, i actually don't technically know yet, i'll check next time i drive it.

i did just move it back (again, just a few feet, so it was only running for a few seconds), and i smelled it just the same as the first time. but of course, that would still count as being cold.

i've never noticed it before, and i normally drive for more than a few seconds, so unless this is a totally brand-new issue as of today, it's safe to guess that the smell goes away when warm.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

You just had a bit of unburned gasoline there.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

That happened to me when the car wouldn't start, cranking and cranking. imho it's a sign of a problem....
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by granadablanca View Post
hi guys,

just noticed a very strong (raw) gasoline smell when starting my car for the first time today. i only had to back the car up just a foot, so as soon as i stepped out, the smell hit me. it's about 60 degrees out, so it's not particularly cold. i sniffed around, and the smell definitely smelled strongest by the exhaust pipes.

is this normal? i don't normally get out 10 seconds after starting a car, so i may have just never noticed.

the car is a bone stock 330i, fully equipped, AT, and out of warranty (60K miles). it's had a handful of issues, but none related to fuel yet. although i do sometimes get a very hard shudder at idle/stoplights. not a constant rough idle shudder, but a straight-up "was that an earthquake?" shudder. never any CELs or codes though. dunno if that's fuel related.

anyone have any insight? i don't know of any good independent shops around here yet, and would rather not do the whole dealer thing if it can be avoided.

thanks,
dave
Sounds like you may have a slight mis-fire, which would give you a un burnt fuel smell (I know these car should shut down the fuel to the mis-firing cylinder) I guess if the mis-fire is for a very short time you may still smell the fuel, as the ECU may not have time to shut the fuel off fast enough, this far fetched but just a thought.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
i wouldn't start the car to back it up a foot, unless you have to. Cold starts that last for a couple of seconds are no good for the car's engine.
In fact i would put it in neutral, and then slip my foot out the door, and slide the car back a foot. Then again, i'm nuts.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkneiber View Post
i wouldn't start the car to back it up a foot, unless you have to. Cold starts that last for a couple of seconds are no good for the car's engine.
In fact i would put it in neutral, and then slip my foot out the door, and slide the car back a foot. Then again, i'm nuts.
no, i'm with you. i'm nuts like that too, but i didn't have an option. hate starting the car briefly, i almost feel guilty getting the computer and everything up and running just to shut it down again. yes, i know, weird.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
That happened to me when the car wouldn't start, cranking and cranking. imho it's a sign of a problem....
John, can you share more detail on what happened with yours then? Presumably you got it fixed and whatnot? I'm afraid it's a problem as well, but I'm a certified car-hypochondriac.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
something leaking maybe
Appreciate 0