E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What's killing my turbos when the car is cold?

01-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
ThreeseriesFTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

What's killing my turbos when the car is cold?

This morning it was 25 degrees. I started the car and the car was super sluggish; the turbos definitely didn't kick in. It feels like limp mode minus the warning lights. After an hour of driving, the turbos finally woke up, and eventually they were working just fine.

Here's the kicker: I got my HPFP recall software yesterday. After noticing this problem, I brought it back in to the dealership (VOB in MD) . They had the lead techs and quality assurance people all over it. They couldn't even find a problem, since the turbos were working just fine at that point. My only guess is now it's warm, and the car's been warmed up, and so the turbos worked.

What gives! Is this a standard problem? Is this something with the new hpfp?

Does the car have to adjust to the new software or something?
      01-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

1. The car has to adapt the new software
2. The car probably has some sort of warmup protection, where it won't create boost until a certain oil temp is reached.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:13 PM   #3
mr p-j
Private
Rep
Drives: 330 xd

one thing that can happen when itīs cold is that the blowoff valve can freeze open.
this has happen to me a couple of times on my mitsubishi and happens once in a while on my friends turbo apex (snowmobile)

when your car gained temperature under the hood the valve sprung loose and everything is back to normal again.

edit: bmw tech guys cant find jack s**t if their cumputer doesīnt tell them whats wrong!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
2. The car probably has some sort of warmup protection, where it won't create boost until a certain oil temp is reached.
Absolutely on #2. Until the engine warms up a bit, the engine software will not allow much boost to build (bypass @ low boost levels). I'm not sure whether it reads oil or coolant temps for this though.
      01-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I would imagine the turbos won't really work until the engine is warm for protection.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
ThreeseriesFTW
Private First Class
Rep

I had some buyers remorse after this problem happened, but you guys have restored my faith. Working as intended, whew!

If anyone else has more info, I'd love it. Otherwise, thanks so much!
      01-04-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Absolutely on #2. Until the engine warms up a bit, the engine software will not allow much boost to build (bypass @ low boost levels). I'm not sure whether it reads oil or coolant temps for this though.
+1

I had the software update too. It takes a few miles of driving for the computer to readapt to you too.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by corb View Post
After an hour of driving, the turbos finally woke up, and eventually they were working just fine.

I totally agree with the computer leaving the wastegates open until the engine warms up, but did it really take an hour for the engine to warm up enough that the turbos were working properly?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
warm it up properly
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #10
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Don't step on it when the engine is still cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
ThreeseriesFTW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
I totally agree with the computer leaving the wastegates open until the engine warms up, but did it really take an hour for the engine to warm up enough that the turbos were working properly?
Oh sorry...I mean, the length of the drive was an hour, and by then things were great. Things could have been great earlier than that, but a combination of traffic and my fear of reliving the dead turbos made me not push it very much
      01-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
Clarence Watson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-y View Post
Quote:
After an hour of driving, the turbos finally woke up, and eventually they were working just fine.

+1. It might require a few minutes. An hour = problem.

Last edited by Clarence Watson; 01-05-2011 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Is this true? I've been wondering about this. I have a 335d which, to my horror, does not have an oil temperature dial! I was told by the SA that if I engage the turbos when the engine was cold that I would risk damaging the turbos. This SA was full of misinformation on a number of other things, but I took him at his word on this. Later, on this forum, I read that the turbos are engaged ANYTIME that the car accelerates (i.e. there's no way not to engage the turbos when driving the car). Where can I go to read something about the engine software feature n the 335i (or better still the 335d) that you refer to?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Some cars have this and others don't? Second Canadian winter and mine has never done that.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgman View Post
Is this true? I've been wondering about this. I have a 335d which, to my horror, does not have an oil temperature dial! I was told by the SA that if I engage the turbos when the engine was cold that I would risk damaging the turbos. This SA was full of misinformation on a number of other things, but I took him at his word on this. Later, on this forum, I read that the turbos are engaged ANYTIME that the car accelerates (i.e. there's no way not to engage the turbos when driving the car). Where can I go to read something about the engine software feature n the 335i (or better still the 335d) that you refer to?

Our diesels shed heat very quickly so there's no need for a oil temp gauge but we have an aux radiator located in the same place that the 335i guys have their oil cooler.

As for warm up, if you haven't already noticed on cold start the transmission in the our diesels is programmed to hold 3rd gear up to 2k rpms in order to assist with heating.

Just don't floor it and use common sense when you're in a really cold start condition. Besides our engines only turn 2k rpms at 80 mph so it's not like we're really pushing it when your motoring at 55mph.

In the mornings I hear the small turbo spooling for about 2/10's of a mile before it goes quite and it has been -2 to 4 C in the mornings for the past month.

Last edited by F32Fleet; 01-05-2011 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcgman View Post
Yes indeed it is true.

Now I have to go and dig up the source of the info....I think it might be from the official "this is how the N54 engine works" sticky.....

As for the 335d, I cannot imagine that BMW would do this with the turbos on the i and not the ones on the d.

As for the "turbos always engaging"--the computer can either use the wastegates (bypass the turbines at the exhaust) or the bypass valves (relieve pressure going into the intake manifold). Either would have the same effect for the engine, though of course different effects for the turbos.
      01-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I believe there is a lot of misunderstanding about how a turbo works, turbo's 'kicking in' is such an old idea. Modern setups are designed to include low end boost. Turbos spin from start up, as exhaust gas is the driver. How and when boost is generated will obviously depend on software, whether we have a bi-turbo for the i, or sequential or VGT(VNT) in the d's. Even the single VGT in the diesel will default to open vane position to reduce boost if demands are inappropriate. There has got to be protection, as we can achieve maximum boost pressure from quite low rpm.

Give them warm up time and then gentle smooth throttle actions until there's some real heat about the engine.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #18
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep

Okay, I'm having a hard time finding the info right now.
The only thing I could find at the moment was one of the big-name n54/n55 tuners mentioning off-hand (on another BMW forum) that "The ECU will hold back boost until around 180 degrees."
      01-05-2011, 10:08 AM   #19
MikeS '06 330i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
I had some buyers remorse after this problem happened, but you guys have restored my faith. Working as intended, whew!

If anyone else has more info, I'd love it. Otherwise, thanks so much!
Not to worry, my older Ford F350 Powerstroke Diesel did this too, and this is normal. The turbo bypass valve would stay open until the engine had a little heat to it. This helped the engine actually warm up faster when it was really cold. The first time this ever happend I panicked too!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #20
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
As for warm up, if you haven't already noticed on cold start the transmission in the our diesels is programmed to hold 3rd gear up to 2k rpms in order to assist with heating.
I think I know what you are referring to. I'd found it annoying. I'd thought it was just a glitch that occurred every now and then. I'd be going through my neighborhood at 25 mph, and it would seem as if my car was resisting shifting gears to lower the RPM. Now I understand it. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #21
kcgman
Burning the midnight oil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay, I'm having a hard time finding the info right now.
The only thing I could find at the moment was one of the big-name n54/n55 tuners mentioning off-hand (on another BMW forum) that "The ECU will hold back boost until around 180 degrees."
Thanks for trying. I appreciate the effort. I'll have a look around myself as well. Again, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
I dont believe in warmup thing, because i dont feel power loss when i start driving in freezing temperatures
Though same thing happened to me after they replaced injectors and installed new software on my 335i
Car felt exactly how you describe it, well, like 328

20min later it was all back to normal, except for increased turbo lag caused by new soft
Appreciate 0