E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Emissions recall...original HPFP and no replacement

01-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

Emissions recall...original HPFP and no replacement

Anyone else with original HPFP, get the recall work done and not have the HPFP replaced? If so whats your build date.

My car is at the shop for yearly inspection and I asked about the recall. They said my car only calls for an update. It's a 12/07 build, original HPFP.
I was under the impression that all n54's that didn't have the newest 933/443 would get them. So i called BMWNA and even though I was on my original HPFP, I was told my car only needed an update. Apparently BMWNA engineers have singled out the cars with faulty pumps.

After doing some reading of past posts this is what I've come up with.

1) according to Mike Millers' article in Bimmer magazine: The HPFP's in question are made by continental.
So if your original pump is not one of those questionable/faulty continental pumps , it's not replaced under the recall.

2) according to the TSB's: "If the Recall Completion Label is not present, it will be necessary to utilize the "Service Menu" of DCSnet (Dealer Communication System) or the Key Reader. Based on the response of the system, either proceed with the corrective action or take no further action."
Indicating that BMWNA believes they have isolated the cars with faulty pumps.
So if your car is not built with the questionable/flawed HPFP's made by continental than it won't be flagged in the system for HPFP replacement = no hpfp replacement.

which leads us to the question...is the 933/443 a reman of the older pumps like mine that BMWNA deems functional/non-flawed?
anyone else with original pump not get it replaced under the recall?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

I do not think that is the case. I had my original one replaced with a 08/2009 build with an 881 and then that one was replaced with the newest one last week a 466. I did not even ask for the work as I had no problems with it yet. They replaced all of the injectors and all of the plugs and the HPFP. They tested all of coils or the coil and those were fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Harney View Post
I do not think that is the case. I had my original one replaced with a 08/2009 build with an 881 and then that one was replaced with the newest one last week a 466. I did not even ask for the work as I had no problems with it yet. They replaced all of the injectors and all of the plugs and the HPFP. They tested all of coils or the coil and those were fine.

I guess i'll have to wait for my original pump to fail because according to the scan of my key fob at the dealer and bmwna's system(when i called them), my car's vin does not call for a new pump under the recall. no mention of injectors either.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep

I believe ALL HPFPs were covered under the extended warranty AND were involved in the recall.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

I believe the recall procedure is:

1) Update software on vehicle to see if that resolves the issue
2) Replace HPFP if the software does not fix the issue
      01-04-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
I believe the recall procedure is:

1) Update software on vehicle to see if that resolves the issue
2) Replace HPFP if the software does not fix the issue
if that were the case, then they are just doing what they were doing before the recall. As opposed to the tsb's about the recall saying that the pumps are defective and cars needed the newest 933/443 pumps and injectors. The new pumps is what gave me the glimmer of hope the HPFP issue was behind us. Now that they're telling me i don't need a new pump, i'm skeptical that they really found the problem. And that the voluntary recall is just a marketing ploy to save face.

Most people seem to be getting both pump and software at the same time, with some getting injectors too.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

"Based on the individual service history of the vehicle, the action will entail replacement of the high-pressure fuel pump and/or a software update.

Approximately 130,000 vehicles are potentially affected with about 40,000 expected to require a new high pressure fuel pump. Affected BMW models include:"

Fuel injectors are a seperate thing, not part of the HPFP recall.
      01-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #8
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep

I've read that. Obviously someone that already had the newer 933 pump installed is not going to get another one under the recall. And if they have the new pump but not software, they would just get an update. I have no service history regarding the hpfp, since I still have my original. So I thought I'd be getting a new one.

There is no hpfp recall. There is a voluntary "emissions" recall. And under that there are the three tsb's. Ecu update, new hpfp, and new injectors.

Last edited by turboawdfanatic; 01-04-2011 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
techlogik
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i Dravit Grey

Recall letter. It is AND/OR replace/flash.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HPFP Recall Letter.pdf (105.0 KB, 139 views)
      01-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #10
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Before anyone else quotes the AND/OR. I have read all the tsb's and letters. I was under the impression the and/or, which refers to the service history of a car, meant that if you had got the 933 pump previously installed (which has been out for a couple of months already)...that those were the ones that would just get the software.

Last edited by turboawdfanatic; 01-04-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawdfanatic View Post
Before anyone else quotes the AND/OR. I have read all the tsb's and letters. I was under impressions the and/or, which refers to the service history of a car, meant that if you had got the 933 pump previously installed, which has been out for a couple of months already....those were the ones that woud just get the software.

If you do not have the latest software for the car, they will update it to address the HPFP issue.

If the software update doesn't help, then they will replace the HPFP. Since you have no issues on the original HPFP, you get a software update, if your HPFP fails you'll get a new one because they will see the software is already updated.

The injectors and other items are not part of the HPFP recall but may be replaced as I think there is a service bulletin out there for them.

I'm sure you would like a new HPFP to ensure it will never fail, but until it does, you just get software updates.
      01-04-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep

I had an 881 HPFP and was having no issues with it at all. I took it in for an oil change and got 6 new injectors, 6 new spark plugs, new HPFP 466 and new software update.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Why would the and/or relate to previous history of a specific vehicle? This is a blanket recall sent to 100k+ people.

If you do not have the latest software for the car, they will update it to address the HPFP issue.

If the software update doesn't help, then they will replace the HPFP. Since you have no issues on the original HPFP, you get a software update, if your HPFP fails you'll get a new one because they will see the software is already updated.

The injectors and other items are not part of the HPFP recall but may be replaced as I think there is a service bulletin out there for them.

I'm sure you would like a new HPFP to ensure it will never fail, but until it does, you just get software updates.
Because that's exactly what the recall letter states:

"Based on the individual service history of the vehicle, your authorized BMW center will inspect and replace (if required) the high- pressure fuel pump (including the low-pressure fuel sensor) and/or will reprogram your vehicle’s engine control unit."

What bothers me more than the fact of not getting a new pump, is what not getting a pump implies....that they don't know what exactly is going on...hence a pointless recall imo because they are doing exactly what they were doing before the recall.

As i mentioned before there is no "HPFP" recall. There is a "Voluntary Emissions Recall Campaign 10E-A02" The injector issue falls under the same 10E-A02 campaign, as does the software update and new hpfp. http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B131410g.htm

Last edited by turboawdfanatic; 01-04-2011 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

mine is at the dealer today getting a new HPFP.. I too am on the original one with no problems. mine is an 02/07 build date. I too asked if they would just do a software update or will replace.. the SA said they will replace it. Now I'm worried that if my original was a brand that they didn't have problems with that I'll start one day with this new one. they did already replace the Low Pressure fuel sensor on an earlier check engine problem. They said they'll have to see if I get new injectors but from the TSB I saw that was for cars made from 04/07 on. I'm on the original injectors as well with no problems. the tech said my build year contains the second version of the injectors. If they replace or not replace the fuel pump and / or injectors and one day I have problems with them then I'll be encouraging them to replace for free. my warranty expires in May 11 so I'm hoping the cam bearing ledges go out so I can stop worrying about when that happens..

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
Baldur Abendroth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the economy, SG e92 335i MT

Emissions recall campaign ? Trying to make people think it has as much to do with the enviornment as it does with faulty parts.
      01-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #16
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:

That is correct. It is just wishful thinking that everybody gets new injectors, HPFPs and a software update.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #17
Kevin Harney
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
That is correct. It is just wishful thinking that everybody gets new injectors, HPFPs and a software update.
I did for no reason and I got all new spark plugs too. I think they want to make sure this is put behind them and put to rest. I think they are looking to replace everything that might be bad. I did not even ask about it since mine was behaving normally.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #18
ceb
NHTSA Nazi
Rep
Drives: 335ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Harney View Post
I did for no reason and I got all new spark plugs too. I think they want to make sure this is put behind them and put to rest. I think they are looking to replace everything that might be bad. I did not even ask about it since mine was behaving normally.
It seems to vary be dealership, but the instructions are:

no problems - software updat
problems - software update and HPFP
No joy - check injectors
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #19
Turkeybaster115
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldur Abendroth View Post
Emissions recall campaign ? Trying to make people think it has as much to do with the enviornment as it does with faulty parts.
FYI, I just failed emissions testing, at my local facility, and they scanned my ecu, and showed 2 codes for HPFP, and told me to get it looked at. My car has been experiencing long cranks, and has been jerky on the highway, throwing limp mode like crazy. I'm scheduled to go in friday, for work at the stealership.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #20
ThreeseriesFTW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335

Are you the original owner?

I'm the second owner, and the previous owner got the hpfp replaced. I only got the software update
      01-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #21
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaben View Post
mine is at the dealer today getting a new HPFP.. I too am on the original one with no problems. mine is an 02/07 build date. I too asked if they would just do a software update or will replace.. the SA said they will replace it. Now I'm worried that if my original was a brand that they didn't have problems with that I'll start one day with this new one. they did already replace the Low Pressure fuel sensor on an earlier check engine problem. They said they'll have to see if I get new injectors but from the TSB I saw that was for cars made from 04/07 on. I'm on the original injectors as well with no problems. the tech said my build year contains the second version of the injectors. If they replace or not replace the fuel pump and / or injectors and one day I have problems with them then I'll be encouraging them to replace for free. my warranty expires in May 11 so I'm hoping the cam bearing ledges go out so I can stop worrying about when that happens..
ok, so got my car back yesterday. They DID replace the HPFP. they did NOT replace the injectors or do a software update (was already updated I guess). they also did a brake fluid flush and cabin filter . i told them I was hearing a chirping noise when going around turns from the rear brakes and they ended up replacing everything on the front: pads, rotors, sensor and pads and sensor on rear. I was so happy! Except they washed my car and I told them not to.. I do my own detailing and hand wash only so that made me upset..it left water spots all under the cowl. oh well.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0