E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Subjective comparison: 335i xdrive step to 335i rwd MT

01-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
chenx15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/accord

Subjective comparison: 335i xdrive step to 335i rwd MT

This is a subjective comparison of two cars the xdrive is a sedan with step and the 335i is a coupe with MT.

1. fuel consumption: my xdrive averaged 13.8 l/100kms on regular drive. while my RWD MT is averaging 9.5l/100kms.

2. Handling : in my previous posts i was defending the handling of xdrive and it's body roll. it is true that the rwd has the better handling but the xdrive still has better handling than most cars. when i was going through the merging lane in the highway with a yellow (suggested)40 kms/Hr sign in the xdrive i can tolerate 80km/h before feeling the need to slow down while the rwd i was able to hit 100km/h before feeling the need to slow down a bit. shifting lanes is also more solid and firmer with the RWD

3. power delivery (Purely Butt Dyno): the automatic xdrive needs to be placed on the DS to make it move like a 335i and it will turn it into a gas guzzler. while the RWD MT feels like it is in sports mode all the time without the gas guzzling part. specially when going through 2nd and 3rd gear. the third gear is the whiplash gear for me. the challenge was when just going to regular 60km/h speed zone because by the time i get into the 4th gear i am already on 80km/h. i know i need to work on my shifting more to make me get to the 4th gear without going through the illegal speed limit

4. looks is subjective so i won't comment on it but i like my new white on coral red coupe than the white on black e90

I think my bottom line is that here in toronto i will definiltey miss the xdrive 30 days to 50 days in 365 days a year but i am definitely happy with he move i did 300 days a year.

both great cars it really ends up on what you need and your driving style.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
TheStigsTwin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenx15 View Post
This is a subjective comparison of two cars the xdrive is a sedan with step and the 335i is a coupe with MT.

1. fuel consumption: my xdrive averaged 13.8 l/100kms on regular drive. while my RWD MT is averaging 9.5l/100kms.

2. Handling : in my previous posts i was defending the handling of xdrive and it's body roll. it is true that the rwd has the better handling but the xdrive still has better handling than most cars. when i was going through the merging lane in the highway with a yellow (suggested)40 kms/Hr sign in the xdrive i can tolerate 80km/h before feeling the need to slow down while the rwd i was able to hit 100km/h before feeling the need to slow down a bit. shifting lanes is also more solid and firmer with the RWD

3. power delivery (Purely Butt Dyno): the automatic xdrive needs to be placed on the DS to make it move like a 335i and it will turn it into a gas guzzler. while the RWD MT feels like it is in sports mode all the time without the gas guzzling part. specially when going through 2nd and 3rd gear. the third gear is the whiplash gear for me. the challenge was when just going to regular 60km/h speed zone because by the time i get into the 4th gear i am already on 80km/h. i know i need to work on my shifting more to make me get to the 4th gear without going through the illegal speed limit

4. looks is subjective so i won't comment on it but i like my new white on coral red coupe than the white on black e90

I think my bottom line is that here in toronto i will definiltey miss the xdrive 30 days to 50 days in 365 days a year but i am definitely happy with he move i did 300 days a year.

both great cars it really ends up on what you need and your driving style.
Hi Chen, thanks for the write up. I agree that the XI perhaps isn't at great at handling as the I, and what I really like is your statement that the xi has better handling than most cars. It is a very true statement and is sometimes lost in the XI bashing that goes on around here.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
chenx15
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i/accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStigsTwin View Post
Hi Chen, thanks for the write up. I agree that the XI perhaps isn't at great at handling as the I, and what I really like is your statement that the xi has better handling than most cars. It is a very true statement and is sometimes lost in the XI bashing that goes on around here.
Thanks Bro!

I forgot to add the freaking CDV is the worst part of the MT. i have driven MT vehicles for more than 12 years and this is the worst (i think because it is the only one with this issue).

as mentioned before the CDV is good for people who wants to learn MT but for experienced MT driver it makes the drive more tedious. my left gastrocs are experiencing delayed onset of muscle soreness.
Appreciate 0