E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What should I do...

12-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
06alpine3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i sedan

What should I do...

My 2008 335 has the wastegate rattle issue. I brought it into the dealer and they told me the only fix for it right now is to do a software update which reduces the power. From what I read some of you guys were able to get one of the turbos replaced and that fixes this issue, but the latest BMW service bulletin on this issue wont allow the tech's to do this.

Settling for less power is a terrible option so i dont want the update. I can deal with the actual rattling sound because its not very noticeable from the cabin, but will the rattling wastegate affect other parts and cause damage. Will the wastegate eventually fail? That is my main worry. Of course the bmw technician told me i dont have to worry about the wastegate failing or damaging another part.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Gee, don't think a BMW tech would know what he's talking about?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
06alpine3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
Gee, don't think a BMW tech would know what he's talking about?
I have my doubts about this particular tech. I brought the car in for service because i had a bunch of repair issues. One of the issues was that i hear a metal clank noise from the front suspension whenever i go up a driveway or over a speedbump. Ive been hearing this multiple times a day for the last few weeks. I told him i thought the problem could be the front stabilizer bar bushings.
He told me today that he was not able to hear the noise (bullshit) and he inspected the entire suspension and it is fine.
That is one of about 5 things the tech wouldnt repair on the car. I will be taking the car to vista or braman this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06alpine3 View Post
My 2008 335 has the wastegate rattle issue. I brought it into the dealer and they told me the only fix for it right now is to do a software update which reduces the power. From what I read some of you guys were able to get one of the turbos replaced and that fixes this issue, but the latest BMW service bulletin on this issue wont allow the tech's to do this.

Settling for less power is a terrible option so i dont want the update. I can deal with the actual rattling sound because its not very noticeable from the cabin, but will the rattling wastegate affect other parts and cause damage. Will the wastegate eventually fail? That is my main worry. Of course the bmw technician told me i dont have to worry about the wastegate failing or damaging another part.
I cant believe that a software update would lower power output....give your head a shake.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
06alpine3
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
I cant believe that a software update would lower power output....give your head a shake.
Amazing, i know. The technician said that this is the current fix for the wastegate rattle. He even said that it is a noticeable reduction in power and would advise against it. So right now my only option seems to be to deal with the rattle.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

I think you should get the software updated which will put you in a better position to get parts replaced later on. The latest software does not slow your car down, do a search and you will see the exact opposite.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06alpine3 View Post
Amazing, i know. The technician said that this is the current fix for the wastegate rattle. He even said that it is a noticeable reduction in power and would advise against it. So right now my only option seems to be to deal with the rattle.
Dont do anything then. If the rattle gets bad , insist on a warranty fix.
Appreciate 0