E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Body Shop Taking forever to finish

12-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

Body Shop Taking forever to finish

It has been a month!!!

I took my 328 in to have a complete paint job done. since the car was already at the body shop, I figured why not get a spoiler for the car....which lead to a roof spoiler then a complete AC Shnitzer body kit!

I took the car in on 12/9/2010 and was told it would be no more than 10 days for everything to be painted, wet sanded, buffed out and polished.

Today we are at 3 weeks and just got a call from the body shop saying that they wanted to use double sided tape for the kit (I instructed them to use Beta Link adhesive, I had great success in the past with it) Now they need till Tuesday to get the adhesive in and start the installation.

I drove down to BMW and picked up the Beta Link tubes (3) and took them in to them and they told me they could not use material I bought because they cannot guarantee the work.

I am posting this to let everyone in So Cal know NOT TO USE Caliber Collision Center in Irvine.

It is always something with them and do not hold up what they promise.

Just Venting!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

I can actually understand them not wanting to stand behind something they are not familiar with but saying double sided tape? Go figure... they could always look up Betalink and read about it?
And I feel for ya man, my car is in the body shop too. <a different one>
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep

Update!

They claimed that the BetaLink did not hold the front AC Schnitzer front and rear bumpers. WTF?

I told him I was driving down to see it in person. He claimed he could not hear me and when I got there they would not let me in the shop to see my car due to "company policy" even though they let me in twice before. And my rep was no where to be found.

I am livid! All weekend- no car still.
      12-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

They proably loaned your car out to someone for the weekend so it wasn't there for you to see!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

OP: I would not trash a company that is still working on your car!!!!
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #6
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
They proably loaned your car out to someone for the weekend so it wasn't there for you to see!
That would suck. Thanks. Now I'll have nightmares till Monday.

The shop area was closed off and could not go to the back. I really should have had them bring the car out but the excuses kept flying around. Tell you this. If this paint job is not flawless I am rejecting the work and making them file the claim for a new car!
      01-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Other BMW drivers need to be warned! I hope no one else has to deal with this.
      01-01-2011, 12:58 AM   #8
py335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 AW E90 335i

im sorry to hear that man. hope all that crap gets sorted out soon
      01-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #9
PhamtasticE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

spectrum collision center in irvine was the same way. f@cking hate dealing with those bodyshops. i had a better experience dealing with an independent bodyshop. sorry op. hope u get ur ride back soon.
      01-01-2011, 03:46 AM   #10
Blacksapphiref06
Lieutenant
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: F06

Garage List
2013 BMW F06  [9.90]
2007 BMW M6  [8.50]
I feel your pain. Same here, new year with no car for the weekend too! Hope it straighten up good for you OP.

07 BMW M6 E63 [ Space Grey on Black Nappa Leather ]

13 BMW 640i F06 [ Black Sapphire on Cinnamon Brown Leather ]
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
bumere90
Grozniy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Carless

All the body shops are the same. They take forever to start and finish the work. Throughout the day, they work on several cars, which really helps them to break down their time and work load. Obviously you can't work 8-10 hours straight on one particular car. Also, if you want a good work, don't rush them. When I usually bring my cars in for repair, I let them take their time.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #12
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep

Update:

Since no one at the body shop would give me a straight answer I decided to show up unannounced. This time I went through the back gate ( they were not too happy) only to find my car sitting outside with an inch of dirt on it.

All the paint was done but no body kit installed. I demanded the they mount it on immediately. Manager called today to say that it "should" be done tomorrow.

Will see
      01-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #13
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

So they lied about using the BetaLink? You should post a review on Yelp.com! That site gets a lot of viewers and the reviews are replicated on Google.
      01-05-2011, 04:55 AM   #14
slowSwede
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Have a car of mine in the shop since august....
Originally a blown head gasket to fix.
Then the company managed to get the timing belt wrong and shot the engine. Insurance inspection, getting hold of a new engine....a great deal of time...
Today they're telling me friday.
Luckily it's not a car I use frequently, but it sucks.

The 335 is going to paint in feb, we'll see how Bmw manages. Although I hope they do it in a couple of days.

So Op, I feel your frustation!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #15
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep

Alright everyone. Here is the latest...

I was told my car was finished and I could pick up anytime after 5:00pm. I told them I did not want to accept the vehicle without inspecting it during the date where sunlight is good.

I was told due to buffing and detailing it would not be done. So I picked it up anyway. the next morning bright and early I pull it our of the garage and I can see imprefections in the paint. I am talking about clear coat cracking, lines, scratches on the quarter panel, windshild molding coming off, the rear bumper is not alighned, the rear body kit was already peeling and the roof spoiler was installed on the wrong spot. Even when you open the doors you can see the tape lines where they painted!

I ofcourse flipped a lid and called their corporate office to file a complaint. They wanted "the chance to make it right" so i took it back to them today. I looked at the rear body kit and I noticed that they used a cheap adhesive. even though he assured me that they used the BetaLink to mount. Now I am back to driving a freaking rental car for who knows how long.

I just want my car back!!!
      01-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #16
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
That's like complaining about a hair or some insect in your food in a restaurant, and taking it out on the waitstaff. We all saw Road Trip and the diner scene. I told my coworker to stop complaining every time we're out on business, and she said relax she was a waitress before. I said I rest my case...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSE90 View Post
Alright everyone. Here is the latest...

I was told my car was finished and I could pick up anytime after 5:00pm. I told them I did not want to accept the vehicle without inspecting it during the date where sunlight is good.

I was told due to buffing and detailing it would not be done. So I picked it up anyway. the next morning bright and early I pull it our of the garage and I can see imprefections in the paint. I am talking about clear coat cracking, lines, scratches on the quarter panel, windshild molding coming off, the rear bumper is not alighned, the rear body kit was already peeling and the roof spoiler was installed on the wrong spot. Even when you open the doors you can see the tape lines where they painted!

I ofcourse flipped a lid and called their corporate office to file a complaint. They wanted "the chance to make it right" so i took it back to them today. I looked at the rear body kit and I noticed that they used a cheap adhesive. even though he assured me that they used the BetaLink to mount. Now I am back to driving a freaking rental car for who knows how long.

I just want my car back!!!
OMG this kind of s*** happens way too often. They try to make you believe that they've had the car since 12/9 so it's gonna be a really good job if you wait a little longer. In reality they probably tooled around with the car for a couple weekend trips to Vegas. I know the windshield molding oh too well. My f'in whole windshield was replaced and the top edge didn't meet the roof and wind came right though. So many incompetent people doing work on cars they have no business even touching....
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #18
DaveL
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 coupe msport

Better hope they don't read this forum or it might take 6 months....Chill and wait,take possession then curse em out!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #19
Mrgameover
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Midgets crazy

Garage List
2007 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSE90 View Post
That would suck. Thanks. Now I'll have nightmares till Monday.

The shop area was closed off and could not go to the back. I really should have had them bring the car out but the excuses kept flying around. Tell you this. If this paint job is not flawless I am rejecting the work and making them file the claim for a new car!

filing a claim is pretty hard... i know from first hand experience..i left my truck in the shop (supposed to be 5 days ) to shave door handles and custom paint...took 25 days...and they didnt even do the wet sand and buff...painted vehicle the wrong color, didnt do wet sand and buff, scratched my tvs in my truck, scratched the rims, damaged tint, blemishes to include but not limited to drips,overspray and even a thumb print...ive been dealing with the claim for over a year and have already sold the truck but some reason im still paying for the work done and all of a sudden the finance company wont return my call or my emails. EVEN though i have a letter from the company to the BBB stating they did not do the wetsand and buff that i paid $1400.00 for...make sure you keep track of your calls to the shop..take pics when you visit...and get a paper signed the date promised your car is to be done...this will greatly help and keep a record of phone logs...