E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > M3 or not?

12-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Matt2008
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

M3 or not?

Hi all

Not been here for a bit after getting rid of my 335d so nice to be back

Actually its not that long and have been thru a few motors in the short time!

Not sure if this is the right forum but.... i'm still tempted by an M3 and need some advice. I'm not yet at the point of test driving one but the torque figures are putting me off. To the M3 owners, how is the car at low revs?
I just dont want to have to make the car scream before i see the performance.

My old 335d had more torque which was nice so a comparison would be nice.
Whats it like at low speed around town/low speeds etc.
MPG, how is that around town so i compare from GT-R, C63?

My driving is all relatively short distances (20 miles max each way) and no long motorway stretches.

I'm still tempted by another C63 but a change would be nice as i get bored easily.

Right now im in a mapped S3 and came from a GT-R. How is the space in the rear of an M3 coupe? Can i get 2 car kid seats in for 3 year old & one year old? I'd also want the DSG gearbox (or whatever BMW call it).

Does the 'flappy paddle' behave in the same way as the 335d did? IE: auto changes for you near max revs on upshift/pull to shift up on both side/ push to change down unlike a regular flappy paddle where left paddle changes down/right paddle changes up.

More importantly, will the missus like it?! She likes her fast cars but hated the GT-R and the C63 was to noisy for her. She did love the 335d tho and the S3.

Sorry for the Q's and possible wrong forum!
      12-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
Right I cant answer everything but I can give you a bit more info than you already have.

I'd also want the DSG gearbox (or whatever BMW call it).

Does the 'flappy paddle' behave in the same way as the 335d did? IE: auto changes for you near max revs on upshift/pull to shift up on both side/ push to change down unlike a regular flappy paddle where left paddle changes down/right paddle changes up.

Called DCT, and no it's differernt to the auto you had in the 335d, it isn't an AUTO as such, it's very much like SMG. One side does downshift one side does upshift they both dont do the same thing like the other auto. They are much faster at gear changes 0.3 seconds? Does it by using 2 clutches hense the name DCT [dual clutch transmission]. I believe it downshifts but doesnt upshift so you can redline, but I am not 100% on that.

More importantly, will the missus like it?! She likes her fast cars but hated the GT-R and the C63 was to noisy for her. She did love the 335d tho and the S3.

I guess so? They arnt very loud when driving at low revs, noisy when foot down tho with the V8 engine. It will be more than enough power if she liked the 335d and S3.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Essentially, the room in the back is the same as for an ordinary E92 though I think the front seats are a bit thicker. The ride can be a bit better than the 335d, partly because of non run-flat tyres (5,000 miles per set typically). Fuel consumption, judging by comments in here from M3 owners, is a salutary embarrassment.

Get the DCT version as it is not only faster than manual, but slightly more fuel efficient, and slightly lower CO2 emissions.

The low rev torque is noticeably missing but you will want to rev the nuts off it anyway. There's no problem with moving rapidly along at any speed.

I suspect the M3 is actually a nicer daily driver than some of your other fast cars so no problem there either.

People seem to swear by EDC and claim it gives the car a better re-sale value - or at least, makes it more desirable.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I would go for the M3....but my background is different....

you're coming from a GTR AND C63....

Tuned S3....the standard M3 will eat it....IMO sweet v8 sound and very sexy looks...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911.2 S4

Garage List
Have you considered a Alpina BiTurbo B3s?, I also wanted good low end torque, which the Alpina has (Max torque (Nm/rpm) 540 / 4500), acceleration 0-62 mph (sec) 4.7 so it will not disappoint. The depreciation should be the same as the M3. Looking at Sytner website this is proves it.

On the back of the steering wheel there is a button on either side left side down shift and the right up shift. With the modified software the manual mode works really well. The position of the buttons are in an ideal location. Nice low end tone from the exhaust and after 4500 rpm the sound is menacing.

Last edited by Estoril Sport; 12-21-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #6
Richbe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Hi all

Not sure if this is the right forum but.... i'm still tempted by an M3 and need some advice. I'm not yet at the point of test driving one but the torque figures are putting me off. To the M3 owners, how is the car at low revs?
Yes, you will need to make it scream to see the performance, if you rather it didn’t, I’d ask the question why do you want an M3, buy another 335d and get a remap

Quote:
Driving round town is fine and with DCT it is easy on the left leg, almost like an auto. I have a manual but have driven DCT, 50% of the time I’d prefer the gear box doing it for me (when I'm in town), 50% of the time I like to shift myself (when the open road is ahead)

Quote:
My driving is all relatively short distances (20 miles max each way) and no long motorway stretches.

I'm still tempted by another C63 but a change would be nice as i get bored easily.

Right now im in a mapped S3 and came from a GT-R. How is the space in the rear of an M3 coupe? Can i get 2 car kid seats in for 3 year old & one year old? I'd also want the DSG gearbox (or whatever BMW call it).
I've had three mates in the car, all 6" and taken them down to Goodwood, they all commented on the relatively spacious rear. Compared to a GTR you'd call it roomy. Baby seats shouldn’t be a problem since the car has standard mounting points for child seats in the rear and optional in the front. As for the child/ownership combo, I can't talk from experience as no one has ever lent me any babies to test it with.

Quote:
As answered earlier no, it has a proper flappy paddle gearbox, left to go down, right to go up

Quote:

The car is too quiet in my view. She might like it (and hence why I changed the exhaust)

Quote:
That's ok

(but seriously, take a test drive and make up your own mind on the back of that, you may no longer give a toss about all the questions you just asked )
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 02:08 AM   #7
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Test drive a few, manual and DCT as DCT isn't for everyone and make it a long test drive. I think you will miss the big lump of low end torque, I know I did coming from a 335i DCT

The handling and ride is what stands out as a major + over the 335d and 335i and or course budget for a much larger montly fuel bill.

Back seats are ok, but I would want to reach through a load a small Chimps in them, you could soon do you back some damage.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 03:24 AM   #8
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

I'll only add comment on this coupe shape as a family car:
I have had ISOfix seats in the coupe and no issues.
Our son is now in the Recaro FF seat and again no issues.

It is EASIER to load him in the coupe than into the E90 saloon (I have both).
And when its raining you push the seats fwd and step in with him.
You can get just about any childs seats in there inspite of the 'bucket' like seat appearance.
I would avoid the BMW offerings though, twice the price of Recaro and a little too upright for them to sleep in.
Like any coupe, the rear load space may be your limiter with two kids and all their 'essentials'
      12-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

There is another very similar recent thread (within last month) that will provide a lot of answers to most of your questions too.

Car seats, plenty of room if you get the right style seats to fit the bucket fitment. Maxi Cosi Toby is one of them for 1-3 years.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 05:49 AM   #10
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2008 View Post
Hi all

OK, will try and answer a few questions!

Low revs - Yes, at low revs you will find a big lack of grunt, compared to what you have been used to. In some ways I kinda like it, because it means the car becomes a pussycat at low speeds round town, but take it past 4000 revs and the thing just launches!

MPG - Round town doing short journeys I get 15-16ish - on a steady motorway run I get low 20's - I did 2,000 miles in the summer across France and the car averaged 20mpg with 2 adults, 2 kids, a full boot and a roof box which I thought was pretty good?

Rear Space - Have you thought about an E90 M3? I chose this as I had the E93 before and the large doors defintely don't help getting kids in and out of the back, especially in car parks - I have no such issues with the smaller rear doors of the saloon. My (nearly 2) year old is now out of the maxicosi ISOFIX seat and into a Recaro (young sport I think?) and the seat fits lovely in the back. My other lad is 11 and the car is used as a family car lots, and does the job well.

DCT? - I personally love the DCT. It is my first 'auto' car as I have always been a huge fan of manuals however I wasn't a fan of the M3 gearbox/clutch and found it hard work. The DCT completes the car IMO and really suits the engine. Knock it into drive and use it as an auto round town. Using the paddles knocks it out of drive and gives you full control back over the shifts again with blips of throttle on the downshifts. The speed of changes can be set from 1-5 (1-6 in M mode) in both auto and manual modes. If setting 1 is used the car pulls off in second gear which is great for traffic jams etc.. I would never order an M3 in manual guise now but obviously down to personal opinion, many think the opposite.

Missus! Do they ever share our passion with proper nice cars? The M3 is prob a compromise as it can be driven very sedately and the car behaves like a regular model but when you want to give it some beans, press the M button, get the sharper steering and throttle response and banging fast gearchanges and enjoy the M3 for what it is - a proper sports saloon/coupe
Appreciate 0