E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Advice please.

12-18-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Advice please.

Work has been crazy lately and I haven't used my car or even started it for about 3 months, the car has been living under a cover (apparently breathable good quality one) went to check it out today and there is ice under and above the cover which has basically proper stuck the two together!
obviously I don't want to damage the paintwork etc but would like to check everything is still o.k

What would you do if it were yours? I don't need to use the car for the short future so would you just wait until the weather warms up?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
The water has penetrated the fibres of the fabric and frozen onto the car - defo wait until it warms up and then remove the cover once the ice has melted.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
The water has penetrated the fibres of the fabric and frozen onto the car - defo wait until it warms up and then remove the cover once the ice has melted.
Probably condensation rather than water penetration if its waterproof and breathable quality cover. Car was probably warmer than the reducing outside air temperature, condensation occurred and then froze. As above not a lot you can do until its thawed enough to remove.

It is recommended you lift the cover every week to two weeks to allow all condensation to dry out. Even breathable fabrics will struggle in our damp cold winters.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the replies this is what I thought. I don't think it gonna thaw any time soon. Doh!!! Flippin work! Reckon it going to be fun firing her up.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Just pour a pan of veery hot water over it.

Simples.
      12-19-2010, 03:44 AM   #6
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

You may find that your cover is not actually waterproof - there are very few breathable and waterproof covers on the market. I have a breathable (but not waterproof) cover on my caravan and it does a good job for what I wanted it for - to keep the moss off the 'van. Being a summer caravanner, I won't be trying to get the crusty cover off this year!
My 5er sits regularly for 3 or 4 weeks. I did investigate the use of a cover, but decided against it because of possible scratching issues with the car being unattended. Last week, my car, having been standing for 4 weeks, outside in the cold started as usual in this weather on five cylinders for a few seconds before chiming in on all six. The car is an '04 on its original battery. My previous 330d's were all equally as neglected and good at starting in the cold.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
You may find that your cover is not actually waterproof - there are very few breathable and waterproof covers on the market. I have a breathable (but not waterproof) cover on my caravan and it does a good job for what I wanted it for - to keep the moss off the 'van. Being a summer caravanner, I won't be trying to get the crusty cover off this year!
My 5er sits regularly for 3 or 4 weeks. I did investigate the use of a cover, but decided against it because of possible scratching issues with the car being unattended. Last week, my car, having been standing for 4 weeks, outside in the cold started as usual in this weather on five cylinders for a few seconds before chiming in on all six. The car is an '04 on its original battery. My previous 330d's were all equally as neglected and good at starting in the cold.

Mike
This is quite reassuring to me thanks. The cover was an expensive one and was marketed as 100% waterproof, I did think about the hot water idea but the car isn't on my driveway so is difficult and may leave ice around the car so don't want issued there.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Hot water tends to break window glass too!
Appreciate 0