E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Urgent Advice Needed - Am I About to do the Right Thing!

12-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Urgent Advice Needed - Am I About to do the Right Thing!

OK, the feet are beginning to ‘itch’ 6 months into basically happy ownership of our 320i Edition SE Touring. I like the car, but am a little disappointed with the power levels. It has leather and a few other ‘essentials’ so not a bad spec. Sep 2008 pre-LCI on 14K miles.

I am on the verge of committing another £10.5 K to get a fully loaded (and I mean FULLY – Professional Media Pack = Sat Nav and Bluetooth, Visibility Pack = Xenons, full beam assist and Corner assist, Leather Part Electric Sports Seats with lumbar support, Business Sound, USB, Panoramic Sun Roof etc) 330d SE Auto Touring. All adds up to just shy of £42K on the configurator. Asking price just shy of £26K. Jun 2009 on 14K miles so Post-LCI.

This car will be from a BMW Dealer so AUC.

Am I about to do the right thing! Help – it’s the most I will ever have spent on a car in my life!

Last edited by Falmouthboy; 12-16-2010 at 07:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Well if a big diesel touring is what you want fair enough, but I don't think £26 is a real bargin.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Well if a big diesel touring is what you want fair enough, but I don't think £26 is a real bargin.
Really? Seemed a good price for the spec when compared with what else is out there on the BMW web site, but if the concensus is that it is over priced I may think again. I think I have pushed them as far as they will go, but a deposit over the phone and a deal before 1 Jan as a final 'shot' in the exchange may knock off another £500.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Think it is priced realistically
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmouthboy View Post
Really? Seemed a good price for the spec when compared with what else is out there on the BMW web site, but if the concensus is that it is over priced I may think again. I think I have pushed tham as far as they will go, but a deposit over the phone may knock another £500.
I can only go by my 335i, which listed at about £43k with all it''s extras, the dealer I traded it with, fronted it for £27.5 and it was one of only about four AUC 335i for sale at the time, I realise the derv burning touring is more practical, but I think it needs to be a bit cheaper or a 335d touring, but Falmouth, if you like it, have it.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

Seems like a lot of money only six months after buying your previous car. It all depends on how long you plan to keep your car.

Perhaps another way of thinking about it is to look at what you think the car will be worth in (say) 2-3 years time - hence your real cost. My gut feeling is that the 330 will be c£10k trade value and the 320 c£7k. That's an awfull lot of depreciation if you are on a "budget." If you aren't, it doesn't matter.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Really? Seemed a good price for the spec when compared with what else is out there on the BMW web site, but if the concensus is that it is over priced I may think again. I think I have pushed them as far as they will go, but a deposit over the phone and a deal before 1 Jan as a final 'shot' in the exchange may knock off another £500.
Think carefully before giving a deposit over the phone - I really regretted doing this. When you come to look at the car, they have you by the balls.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 08:09 AM   #8
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
Is it from Ocean?

I think it's £2kish overpriced but a very nice sounding car.

It will be MUCH quicker than the 320i.

Bought two AUC cars "blind" (one 335d from Sytner Leicester, one LR Defender from Harwoods, Croydon) in just over a year - both over £21k, both delivered to our door, both took our old cars away in p/x, both beltingly good vehicles in brilliant condition. I think paying cash helps get extras. Both probably had £1k of goodies thrown in (including delivery costs)

It's a risk but the AUC warranty is pretty watertight.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #9
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I'd never do a deposit over the phone. There is always another car if you lose this one and it seriously reduces your negotiating position if you turn up and things are not as you were as you thought.

As for if it is a good purchase decision - I've got a 330d and I've had a 320d as a loaner; I posted at the time that if my budget was limited to a 4-cylinder BMW, then I'd buy a Honda Civic instead as it would give me more satisfaction.

The sunroof makes a big difference to a car. The extra power makes driving effortless. The business stereo upgrade is a lot better if you have the standard audio in your car. Is it the colour you want? Is the interior the colour you like? Is the trim what you like?

A 330d is a great car - if it is worth the extra £10k only 6-months into ownership of your current car, that's up to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
I'd never do a deposit over the phone. There is always another car if you lose this one and it seriously reduces your negotiating position if you turn up and things are not as you were as you thought.

As for if it is a good purchase decision - I've got a 330d and I've had a 320d as a loaner; I posted at the time that if my budget was limited to a 4-cylinder BMW, then I'd buy a Honda Civic instead as it would give me more satisfaction.

The sunroof makes a big difference to a car. The extra power makes driving effortless. The business stereo upgrade is a lot better if you have the standard audio in your car. Is it the colour you want? Is the interior the colour you like? Is the trim what you like?

A 330d is a great car - if it is worth the extra £10k only 6-months into ownership of your current car, that's up to you.
Thanks,

Colour wise it's good (Space Grey), current car is Sparkling Graphite so very similar and a colour I would consider from new (although le Mans Blue would be first choice)

Interior is black leather as the current car. 1st choice for reasons of practicality rather than looks.

My wife has the Business sound system in her 130i - I agree a huge advantage over the standard.

I guess one way to look at it is 'is a fully loaded Post LCI 330d worth £7.5K more (allowing for the actual retail value of my 320i) than an 'average' loaded pre LCI 320i.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
Think carefully before giving a deposit over the phone - I really regretted doing this. When you come to look at the car, they have you by the balls.
Total pish-posh I'm afraid!

By placing a deposit on a car over the phone you are in effect agreeing to buy 'sight unseen' and subject to satisfactory test drive and viewing. You are therefore protected by Distance Selling Rules - especially if you change your mind.

If you pay the deposit on your credit card, then you are doubly protected because the C/C become jointly and severally liable as the potential purchase is above £100.

I have followed this procedure on many occasions with many different Main Dealers. On the odd occasion if I have not been satisfied with the car, have walked away and asked for my 1000% deposit back. thats the whole point of Consumer Legislation and Protection - use them and exercise them to the fullest.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

As for price, put it into webuyanycar.com and see what they are willing to offer. That should give you a good idea of how much markup the Dealer is putting on the car. Remember their price is likely to be the lowest cash price - so do adjust accordingly. Dealers usually have around £3k - £5k markup on AUCs.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 03:32 PM   #13
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihpj View Post

By placing a deposit on a car over the phone you are in effect agreeing to buy 'sight unseen' and subject to satisfactory test drive and viewing. You are therefore protected by Distance Selling Rules - especially if you change your mind.

If you pay the deposit on your credit card, then you are doubly protected because the C/C become jointly and severally liable as the potential purchase is above £100.

I have followed this procedure on many occasions with many different Main Dealers. On the odd occasion if I have not been satisfied with the car, have walked away and asked for my 1000% deposit back. thats the whole point of Consumer Legislation and Protection - use them and exercise them to the fullest.
You are right in what you say. However, I didn't think I would lose any money. I my case, I drove 70 miles to see a car that I had paid a £500 deposit on. Essentially, I had agreed the deal. When it came to negotiating, I just felt that I was in a much weaker position. They would not even throw any mats in.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #14
V330d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d Tanzanite

I got 26k (Dec 09 16k miles) for a totally loaded 330d msport touring Sapce grey. L7, service pack, towbar ext storage all packs and what the one ur looking at has
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
If you can afford it buy it.

You've already compromised once buying a 320i and lived to regret it.

I know how it feels. I did exactly the same.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #16
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd1963 View Post
If you can afford it buy it.

You've already compromised once buying a 320i and lived to regret it.

I know how it feels. I did exactly the same.
+1

They're shite.
      12-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
ihpj
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
Essentially, I had agreed the deal. When it came to negotiating, I just felt that I was in a much weaker position. They would not even throw any mats in.
I understand (now) what you are saying. You had already agreed to a deal and then placed the deposit. next time you might place the deposit without entering into price negotiations. After viewing it, avoid any and all conversation round 'liking it' and focus on price.

But at the end of the day, you have to be prepared to walk away - and must do so if you don't get your target price.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #18
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep

Thanks for all the advice.

It has helped me to get my thoughts and direction of travel here. So:

Consensus appears that it is a 'fair' price, although there is still a little room to negotiate.

It is a GOOD car in terms of spec and a great option engine wise.

I need to satisfy myself that it hasn't had a significant accident damage repair.

I have decided not to pay a deposit over the phone on the basis that I want to be able to negotiate a bit more off if I can. Although I know I could have done this over the phone, I would rather do it in the context of seeing the car and pointing out things like tyre tread depth etc.

We are going up to see the car tomorrow (weather permitting) and will only buy if 100% ‘sold’ on it. As others have said – we have taken a ‘hit’ with the compromise on the 320i – there should be no compromise here!

Wish me luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:40 AM   #19
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice.

It has helped me to get my thoughts and direction of travel here. So:

Consensus appears that it is a 'fair' price, although there is still a little room to negotiate.

It is a GOOD car in terms of spec and a great option engine wise.

I need to satisfy myself that it hasn't had a significant accident damage repair.

I have decided not to pay a deposit over the phone on the basis that I want to be able to negotiate a bit more off if I can. Although I know I could have done this over the phone, I would rather do it in the context of seeing the car and pointing out things like tyre tread depth etc.

We are going up to see the car tomorrow (weather permitting) and will only buy if 100% ‘sold’ on it. As others have said – we have taken a ‘hit’ with the compromise on the 320i – there should be no compromise here!

Wish me luck!
I've been in your situation with a 320d coupe I didn't get on with.So I traded and took a hit. I also paid a depo over the phone on another car which was a 500 mile round trip for me, but I still decided not too buy it after a test drive and had the deal unpicked and depo returned, so don't let them bully
you, just because they have your money.

Best of luck and don't forget to still have fun, after all buying an new car should be.

PS. Don't know why my reply looks so disjointed
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 04:46 AM   #20
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:

if I have not been satisfied with the car, have walked away and asked for my 1000% deposit back.
Wow - there's money in test piloting then
Anyhow.

If your not doing big miles do you need a diesel, and the extra cost of fuel?
      12-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #21
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Defo go for the sixer, all the proper engined BMW's drive and feel like completely different cars to the 4 pots.

When I've had 4 pot loaners its like, jeez do BMW really make cars this poor?

You won't regret it.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #22
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

Quote:
As for price, put it into webuyanycar.com and see what they are willing to offer. That should give you a good idea of how much markup the Dealer is putting on the car. Remember their price is likely to be the lowest cash price - so do adjust accordingly. Dealers usually have around £3k - £5k markup on AUCs.

I agree with you regarding getting your money back.

Regarding the price you have to look at the full deal. I got a 335i that listed at £44k it was 6 months old with 3300 miles. It was up for £35k and I got nothing knocked off except the 5 years free servicing pack. However, they gave me an excellent part ex on my old car that they hadn't even seen.
Appreciate 0