09-19-2005, 12:15 AM   #1
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Personalized plate

I'm gonna be putting my old Accord coupe up for sale soon after I'm done detailing it. But there's something I'm not sure about.

In California I believe license plate transfers along with the title when the car is sold, but I have a personalized plate. First of all, the annual registration fee is higher so I don't think the potential buyer is going to want to pay that, second of all it bears my initials so I really don't want somebody else driving around with my plate. So how should I handle this transaction when the car is sold?

TIA!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2005, 12:30 AM   #2
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

i don't know how it is in ca but in pa when a car is sold only the title of car get's transferred to new owner and the new owner can register car with new plates or any other plates for that matter even from previous owner. so it's really up to seller if he wants dmv to transfer his old plates to new owner but is not required. that's my experience with pa dmw but as for ca, u guys need to get ur act together from what ur telling me that it is required to transfer old plates to new owner.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Not required. I have kept "Environmental" plates through a couple of vehicle changes. I think there was a check box on the transfer to indicate you want to maintain the EP. I have NOT been able to yet get the EP plates transfered directly to a brand new vehicle, but I think that has mostly to do with the dealers not wanting or knowing the drill.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2005, 02:02 PM   #4
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Great, thanks!! Then I can just sell the car without the plate and tell the buyer to go and register the vehicle himself.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2005, 12:52 AM   #5
govtec
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xens
Great, thanks!! Then I can just sell the car without the plate and tell the buyer to go and register the vehicle himself.
how is he suppose to drive off? i don't know about ca but in pa u both need to sign the title at auto tag place and at that time they'll register the car with a new plate or if he wants to use an old plate they can do the transfer there also. last thing u want is for the car to be still registered in ur name with slapped on stolen plates. will u be present when the car get's legally registered?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2005, 01:54 AM   #6
ImUrGoDaK
Private
Rep
Drives: 05 325i to 08 335xi :)

what should happen is that you get to keep your personalized plate. your old car then will carry the original plate assigned by DMV which is the one the buyer will get after purchasing your car.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2005, 02:49 AM   #7
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImUrGoDaK
what should happen is that you get to keep your personalized plate. your old car then will carry the original plate assigned by DMV which is the one the buyer will get after purchasing your car.
They took away my old plates when I switched over to my personalized plate.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2005, 02:50 AM   #8
Xens
Eh
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by govtec
how is he suppose to drive off? i don't know about ca but in pa u both need to sign the title at auto tag place and at that time they'll register the car with a new plate or if he wants to use an old plate they can do the transfer there also. last thing u want is for the car to be still registered in ur name with slapped on stolen plates. will u be present when the car get's legally registered?
OK, then the transaction will be done at the DMV then.
Appreciate 0