E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BlueTooth interaction for the e90

05-05-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
BlueTooth interaction for the e90

Can anyone describe in detail how the car will interact with your bluetooth phone? Specifically, which displays and buttons in the car will interact with your phone? Please provide pictures (of both Nav and non-Nav cars) if possible.

I know on the steering wheel, you can see buttons to pick up and hang up your phone. Is there a way to scroll through your Contacts on your phone? If so, where do the numbers show up (on a display in the dash, display on your radio or clock, etc.)? Also, if you get a call while driving, will your car display the Caller ID anywhere? I've seen cars that display the Caller ID number in the rearview mirror (I think it works by having a digital display under the mirror coating).

Any infor would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
lumberman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

Universal bluetooth preparation is the option you want, this feature is able to transfer objects to or receive from a bluetooth enabled mobile, meaning it is able to download contact objects from your mobile. however, it is limited to certain mobiles

I wanted to order this option too, but it aint cheap!!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Oh, you're right, it's not cheap. That's why I'm asking to see what I get. If all the bluetooth can do on the e90 is pickup and hang up calls (through the speaker system), I'm not sure if it's that great a value. Someone please tell me there is at least a display somewhere in the car that interacts with the phone.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Most of the functions depends on your phone, and the phones software version
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
CaptJack
Mach 1 in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStripe
Oh, you're right, it's not cheap. That's why I'm asking to see what I get. If all the bluetooth can do on the e90 is pickup and hang up calls (through the speaker system), I'm not sure if it's that great a value. Someone please tell me there is at least a display somewhere in the car that interacts with the phone.
Yes the phone interfaces nicely with the radio displsay. It does a great job of displaying name, phone number in a number of different ways. It's really a very sophisticated system. But as someone else said compatability is the question. Until a couple of phone have been tried we may not know for sure.

I'm buying a Motorola Razr which a couple of salesmen at the dealer use and recomend. They use it in new 5ers and say it works great
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #6
Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

I took at look at the ordering guide and have a question.

Do you have to order BMW Assist to get Bluetooth?

I don't want BMW Assist. I don't want to give someone the ability to track my car (OnStar can do this and I assume BMW Assist is the same deal) There was actually a case in Vegas where the police used Onstar to listen in on what was going on inside the vehicle. That is supposed to be illegal but the capability is there with these devices....
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
ashishterp
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive Coupe

I am almost positive that you need BMW Assist to get the Bluetooth capabilities. Although, both do come with the Premium Package so probably more people might be getting it without realizing...

My personal opinion is that in a time when states are outlawing phones without handsfree (DC, NJ, etc), this is almost invaluable to properly use the phone in your car. I have not tried it out on the e90, but I have in a 2004 5 series and it really works incredibly, phonebook integration, caller id display, voice dialing without training, and direct dialing from the navigation system.
Appreciate 0