F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Inside the 2013 BMW 3 Series
GetBMWParts

11-15-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Inside the 2013 BMW 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideLine
Inside the 2013 BMW 3 Series
The Technology of BMW's Future
By Hilton Holloway, Contributor | Published Nov 15, 2010
BMW is preparing a raft of new technology that will enable its future models to react "intelligently" with local road conditions to allow greater fuel-efficiency and improve safety for both drivers and pedestrians.

This new philosophy is described by BMW as "Connected Drive meets Efficient Dynamics." The German car manufacturer expects to roll out the technology over the next few years in the new 2013 BMW 3 Series and 2012 6 Series.

Connected Drive is defined by BMW engineers as "info coming into the vehicle" and "info from the vehicle" being combined to make decisions about the way the car operates.

The information coming into the vehicle will be drawn from external sensors (such as the new 360-degree laser parking sensors, nose-mounted camera, light and rain sensors), from car-to-car communication and also from future interconnected traffic signage and other live information — such as traffic reports — downloaded by the car from the Internet.

All this information will be added to data being generated by the car itself, including the vehicle status, and 3-D information about the satellite-navigation route being followed. The new networking and intelligent drive systems are expected to be able to drive down the fuel consumption of future BMWs by as much as 15 percent in their own right.

Outside of fuel saving, BMW engineers have also outlined plans to allow the car of the future to communicate with the owner's own home media and entertainment systems, as well as use smartphone apps for "micro-navigation." The idea behind such apps will be, for example, helping the driver to find an airport check-in desk once he parks his car.

Here's a rundown of the electronic systems you're likely to see in the next generation of BMWs.

AMULETT detection: The car will be able to detect any children carrying a transponder, so they can be avoided should they run into the road from behind parked vehicles.

Autopark: Drivers will be able to squeeze their car into a tight parking space by lining up the car, getting out and using the key to remotely drive it into the space. Although the system could cost well under $1,300 as an option, it is currently illegal in most parts of the world.

Collision avoidance: Lateral collision avoidance uses 360-degree laser sensors to automatically tweak the steering to prevent an accident in a narrow lane.

E-mail on the move: Direct connection to an e-mail server, with messages displayed on the dash screen. Voice synthesis reads them out, while voice control allows the driver to reply.

Gearbox "sail" mode: BMW has revealed a new version of the eight-speed autobox equipped with a Sail mode. If the driver lifts off the accelerator and doesn't brake, the drivetrain switches into neutral and disconnects.

iDrive: On the next 3 Series and 6 Series initially, there will be an updated iDrive controller with an integrated touch panel on the top of the rotary knob.

ILENA intelligent sat-nav: This system will suggest three different navigated routes — Standard, Eco or Quick — with previous information about the driver's style being used to plot the eco one. It can also be used with future hybrid BMWs, to calculate — via 3-D mapping — the most efficient route for the drivetrain.

Micropause apps: Communication with traffic lights will allow the car to know how long it will be stationary; news flashes or games could be brought up on the TFT screen.

Mobility assistant app: This application can use public transport information to advise a driver that it is quicker to use either a bus or a train for a particular journey. It could also receive live updates on parking lot space availability and even bike rental information, such as that already offered for smartphones by London's cycle rental scheme.

More efficient hybrids: Future plug-in versions of BMW hybrids could use preselected sat-nav routes and weather and traffic information to set an ideal battery charge and even pre-warm the engine for maximum efficiency.

Smart key: BMW keys will act like swipe cards, able to store small amounts of credit and hold codes that will work as train tickets or open pre-booked hotel rooms.
http://www.insideline.com/bmw/3-seri...-3-series.html
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
BenTrovato
Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
JC, why can't people just do their own driving.
It's just the way our civilization is heading toward. Less human input, more control given up to technology & governments.

From the photo, I'm really liking the new 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #3
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
basically nothing a driver would care about.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Why don't they just take humans out of the equation and make the car drive itself...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

AMULETT detection
Okay what if the kid doesn't have a transponder? This one is dumb

Autopark
JUST STUPID, IF YOU CAN'T PARK, DON'T DRIVE.

Collision avoidance
Lame, learn how to use your mirrors and have a sense of distance

E-mail on the move:
Pretty cool & useful, I could see myself using this.

Gearbox "sail" mode:
I already do this...

iDrive:
I don't have iDrive but from loaners, iDrive is awesome. The more updated the better!

ILENA intelligent sat-nav:
Good stuff

Micropause apps:
Distracting

Mobility assistant app:
So you would abandon your car and take public transportation? I got in because I want to DRIVE it

More efficient hybrids:
What if the routes are longer? Traveling farther for better engine efficiency and battery charge vs shorter distance...hM...

Smart key:
Now this is COOL...I wish nowadays we have one smart card that can hold all of our information without us having to carry a wallet full of other things
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

The problem is that if you buy one of these:

1- You have to eat at BMW approved diners.
2- Take dump at BMW approved toilet.
3- It will monitor your sexual activity and report it to BMW for your safety.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

I'm liking the sounds of updated iDrive, that's about it. Everything else is excessive/useless fluff. SmartKey could be neat, but I just can't see it taking off in enough places to make it useful.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #8
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

Looks like the redesigned 1 coupe for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #9
Tee212
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: yes

Garage List
2010 335  [8.00]
Theres alot of bs in that list..auto park comes to mind. Benz offers the transparent roof which can be tinted pitch black with a button. Can they offer something like that? lol
Appreciate 0