E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > ink stain---alcohol=disaster

11-14-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

ink stain---alcohol=disaster

I found a small pen stain in my seat. Tried to rub it with diluted alcohol on a Q-Tip... now instead of a black line, I have a black spot....

I just applied leatherique and see if help... what else can I try?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
they sell those markers that you can use to touch up leather at home depot.. might want to try that?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
they sell those markers that you can use to touch up leather at home depot.. might want to try that?
Will check them. Maybe can help.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
dday
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 335 M-Sport

try leather master strong cleaner maybe? takes any dye transfer from dark jeans off my oyster leather in seconds.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:11 AM   #5
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday View Post
try leather master strong cleaner maybe? takes any dye transfer from dark jeans off my oyster leather in seconds.
+1

g) Ink Stains
Sadly the prognosis on ink stains or colour transfer on leather is not good; as the stain permeates the leather and dyes it, and for this reason it is not easily released, especially if it has been allowed to set. Aniline leathers have a water-based pigmentation that are absorbent, so an ink stain will permeate the leather hide, dyeing it, making it almost impossible to remove.

Urethane coated leather are also water-based, so inks and dyes will permeate and be absorbed by the clear protective lacquer. Therefore the only way to remove the stain is to remove this clear lacquer.

Hairspray contains solvents and should not be used; as it contains solvents that dissolve the clear protective pigmentation or urethane that covers the leather dye. Removing this lacquer means that the leather absorbs dirt immediately, and this will not come off. It also dilutes the stain and act as a carrier system to permeate the covering. Using household cleaners will usually exasperate the problem

1. Leather Master's Ink Remover (P-Protected / Coated) is designed for removal of recent (within 48 hours) ink contamination. Ink marks older than 3-5 days may not respond or will only be lightened (see Strong Effect Cleaner). The biodegradable formula is very easy to use (wax-like stick container) and works well for all types of ink as well as lipstick

2.Leather Master's Professional Ink Remover (P-Protected / Coated) - safely removes ink from: automotive interior surfaces, leather & cloth upholstery, headliners, sun visors, and vinyl and plastic surfaces.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
Roger Koh
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
I found a small pen stain in my seat. Tried to rub it with diluted alcohol on a Q-Tip... now instead of a black line, I have a black spot....

I just applied leatherique and see if help... what else can I try?

"Image" Google search - leather ink stain removal kit

You will find it!

The reason is alcohol dries up too fast and the dyes redeposit back immediately without a chance to lift it away; further attempt will dissolved the topcoat and the mess may become bigger.

What you need is a very slow acting Leather Prep or Leather Ink Stain Remover that will penetrate, lubricate and suspend the stains to be extracted with just tissue paper.

These products will not dry up even up to two days; that allows the dried up stain to be re-emulsified into the product in suspension to be absorbed away.

That how it works...sticky residue is thereafter remove with a pH 3.8 leather cleaner and rinse with a pH 3.0 leather rinse to return the leather finish to the leather pH neutral of 4-6.

There after apply a non-stick, rub-resistant protector - the ballpoint will fail to work as the ball fails to rotate to disperse the nasty ink on this buttery-feel leather surface. Future stain cleaning will then be a breeze.

Roger Koh
info@leatherdoctor.org
Appreciate 0