E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i Exhaust..Is this Normal?

11-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
tcc230
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

335i Exhaust..Is this Normal?

This morning I went to breakfast and my brother was following me. It was cool this morning just above freezing....he told me that the right exhaust was working and the left one was not. He could not see the "smoke" coming out of the left when I drove.

We got to the restaurant and parked the car in neutral and reved the engine and I could not feel anything come out of the left, the right seemed fine. After breakfast, I drove home and I tested it again and the left was similiar to the right?

Is this normal? I only drove the car 15 minutes this morning....My warranty is up in couple of months and I want to take care of this, ASAP if this is a problem. I am just wondering, because I have had other cars in the past, that had dual exhaust and left and right were always equal.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc230 View Post
This morning I went to breakfast and my brother was following me. It was cool this morning just above freezing....he told me that the right exhaust was working and the left one was not. He could not see the "smoke" coming out of the left when I drove.

We got to the restaurant and parked the car in neutral and reved the engine and I could not feel anything come out of the left, the right seemed fine. After breakfast, I drove home and I tested it again and the left was similiar to the right?

Is this normal? I only drove the car 15 minutes this morning....My warranty is up in couple of months and I want to take care of this, ASAP if this is a problem. I am just wondering, because I have had other cars in the past, that had dual exhaust and left and right were always equal.
Yes. Normal. Until the cats heat up, there's a valve diverting all exhaust through one side. Search "golf tee mod"...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
tcc230
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

Thanks...that what I was thinking.....
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
thechocolate6MT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 340i 6MT

It's normal, however i pulled out the plug on mine so both work at the same time. Much nicer and louder sound. But loss of MPG. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...sy+exhaust+mod
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
335rocket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328i sport

very true. Mine does that every morning. The smoke just comes out of one exhaust for a short while until it warms up.