E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Just taken delivery....

01-29-2007, 02:23 AM   #1
Rochester BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport. On order E92 M3

Just taken delivery....

Last friday i picked up my new E90 335i M Sport, and I am more than happy! Easily the best car i have owned.

Things I love...

The shortshift manual gearbox, its precise and has great feel, and the hill start control is a really good feature.

Adaptive headlights, i thought these would be a waste of money but they are amazing how much they light up a twisty dark B road.

Highbeam assistant: How the car can tell the difference between a cars rear lights and a sign light baffles me, works perfectly though and is a great little gadget to have.

The power! Only 'really' opened her up once (or twice), wow.... 1st.... 2nd.... 3rd.... 4th.... its relentless!

Things i dont like.......

The tiny glovebox.

fuel consumption... over the course of this weekend i have done about 450 miles.. to which ive been getting about 300 miles to a tank... i would have thought it would of been more than that. (thats taking it easy aswell)

over all its a fantastic car that im going to love owning and driving.

Pics to follow.. (its filthy at the moment)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 02:49 AM   #2
ZuerstBMW
¡Viva España!
Rep
Drives: 2023 230i Mineral White

CONGRATS and
      01-29-2007, 03:06 AM   #3
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Congrats, Rochester BMW

I just recently discovered the hill start assist also works when you are reversing up a hill - it holds the car and stops it from rolling forward.

Look forward to seeing the pics.
      01-29-2007, 03:17 AM   #4
Jotuns
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 318D

Congrats pics pics pics
      01-29-2007, 03:34 AM   #5
Rochester BMW
Private First Class
Rep

ill be giving it a wash tonight, so ill hopefully have some pics on here for tomorrow.

a few thingsmaybe someone can help me while i have your attention....

i cant seem to get the lights to stay on (follow me home lights i think) ive gone into the idrive and they are turned on, but they dont seem to be working.. any ideas?

the buttons on the steering wheel that can be set to your own preference....

can one of these be used to show the nav map? its not on the options list for the buttons but wondered if it can be added?

lastly, can it be set for the mirrors to fold in when i lock the car??? and vise-versa when unlocking...?

cant seem to find any help in the manual, thanks
Lee
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:38 AM   #6
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester BMW View Post
i cant seem to get the lights to stay on (follow me home lights i think) ive gone into the idrive and they are turned on, but they dont seem to be working.. any ideas?
Are you flashing the headlights after you turn the engine off. Mine is programmed for 40 secs I think...

Quote:
lastly, can it be set for the mirrors to fold in when i lock the car??? and vise-versa when unlocking...?
I would be interested in this, although I don't have i-drive... I think it might be a dealer set option...
      01-29-2007, 03:40 AM   #7
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

I can help with 2 I think:

The follow me home lights - you have to flick the headlights and they then stay on for the alloted time.

The nav map can be shown in the info pane on the right of the idrive. SO, if you have the radio showing: Move to the right and press the idrive. A menu pops up which allows you to show different info; Map, computer, trip computer etc. Select and then move back to the left! Not sure you can add to the soft buttons options though.

HTH?
      01-29-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
Rochester BMW
Private First Class
Rep

didn't know i had to flash the lights, thanks.

yeah i know i can get the map up on the right hand screen (proffesional sat nav)

but what ive found myself doing is switching between the navi map (big sceen) and car position, arrow directions (small screen)

what im after is a quick way of flicking between the navi map and CD / radio info on the big screen, keeping the small screen the same...

is it possible for the two buttons on the steering wheel to be set to flick between these two??

hope this makes sence...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:44 AM   #9
NathanJT
Techie Geek
England
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Manual

Quote:

no.... should i???
Yes, that's the trigger to "follow me home".
      01-29-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
Ascension
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2010 535i

Garage List
2010 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Rochester BMW, you knew this was coming, congrats

2006 330i Jet Black w/ Beige Leather/Sport/Prem/Step/Shades/Xenon/Logic 7
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 01:57 PM   #11
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
...what im after is a quick way of flicking between the navi map and CD / radio info on the big screen, keeping the small screen the same...

is it possible for the two buttons on the steering wheel to be set to flick between these two??

hope this makes sence...
The programmable buttons let you choose the next entertainment source only, as well as some other unrelated functions.

The easiest way to do what you want, is to use the idrive 'shortcut'- wherever you are in the idrive menus, just push in the appropriate direction for a couple of seconds & the main screen will change to the last used screen, for that particular used idrive function.

eg say you were last using the cd tracklist menu in 'entertainment', but you are currently in perspective view in 'navigation'- just hold 'south' for a couple of secs, & you'll go straight to the cd tracklist menu- then hold 'east' for a couple of secs, & you'll go straight back to perspective view

It's quick & it works anytime- I hold 'east' after I get in the car to get straight back to my perspective view, which I had on when I was last in the car- it's usually that & 'south' for entertainment.

For most other things, I prefer the voice control- especially with the bluetooth phone dialling & radio frequency changing- saying something like 'Station Century FM' & 'Call Paddywac' is just pure laziness!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #12
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Last friday i picked up my new E90 335i M Sport, and I am more than happy! Easily the best car i have owned.

.. ive been getting about 300 miles to a tank
Congratulations!

But ouch on the range. I won't say that I get 300 miles out of half a tank

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 02:08 AM   #13
Rochester BMW
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the tips everyone, sorry about the lack of pics so far.... they are coming (promise)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 03:32 AM   #14
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
The programmable buttons let you choose the next entertainment source only, as well as some other unrelated functions.

The easiest way to do what you want, is to use the idrive 'shortcut'- wherever you are in the idrive menus, just push in the appropriate direction for a couple of seconds & the main screen will change to the last used screen, for that particular used idrive function.

eg say you were last using the cd tracklist menu in 'entertainment', but you are currently in perspective view in 'navigation'- just hold 'south' for a couple of secs, & you'll go straight to the cd tracklist menu- then hold 'east' for a couple of secs, & you'll go straight back to perspective view

It's quick & it works anytime- I hold 'east' after I get in the car to get straight back to my perspective view, which I had on when I was last in the car- it's usually that & 'south' for entertainment.

For most other things, I prefer the voice control- especially with the bluetooth phone dialling & radio frequency changing- saying something like 'Station Century FM' & 'Call Paddywac' is just pure laziness!

Viv
Congrats on the car rochesterBMW !

I have one steering button set for the phone book and the other for next entertainment source. I also have the assistance window set to arrow view pretty much all the time.

If you have guidance enabled and you go to say the radio view, then the arrow view will always be shown to give you directions. If you dont have the assistance window set, then the arrow WILL come up in the main screen regardless of your idrive view.

The shortcuts on idrive are invaluable. So press and hold north for phone, south for entertainment and east for nav - the last view you selected for each will be displayed.

I've found that voice control is invaluable for cutting through all this. A massive tip is don't speak after the beep - wait for the little speech icon to appear. The main commands I use are :

1. 'Map north oriented' or 'perspective to call up the nav view.

2. 'Call (whoever)' to dial from the a-z list.

3. 'Memorised station (whatever)'; 'cd' or 'aux in' to select the entertainment options.

Good tip is that pressing the down button on the wheel will cancel traffic reports if you have TP enabled.

I hope you enjoy the car. All these new 335i's are making my little 330i feel slow
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 03:44 AM   #15
Touringman
Private
Rep
Drives: Silver 335i MSport

Glad you like it - put a few miles on myself over the weekend!
R1150 GS - for sale
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 05:34 AM   #16
Rochester BMW
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the info on idrive, ill be trying out all the various commands on my way home tonight.

pictures tomorrow!

quick question....

are these retro-fit-able???

1. Bluetooth phone in conj. with pro sat nav?
2. Split fold rear seats
3. Rear sunblinds (side and back windows)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #17
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
thanks for the info on idrive, ill be trying out all the various commands on my way home tonight.

pictures tomorrow!

quick question....

are these retro-fit-able???

1. Bluetooth phone in conj. with pro sat nav?
2. Split fold rear seats
3. Rear sunblinds (side and back windows)
I don't know about the others, but I was told by my dealer that the split fold seats involve an alteration to the structure of the chassis - there is a metal cross brace behind the non folding ones. As a result I do not think it can be retro-fitted.
Appreciate 0