E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > did i get a new hood?

11-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

did i get a new hood?

Just got my 2007 335 sedan fixed up from an accident at a certified bmw body shop. THey wanted to put in a reconditioned hood because insurance wanted them to (the BMW body shops can't use aftermarket but can use reconditioned OEM) but I paid for the difference to get a new hood.

However there were some problems with communication and the had apparently painted the reconditioned hood already. After much back and forth, they finally agreed to eat the cost of that and do it again with the new hood I paid for since I had told them upfront I wanted only original, new parts for the repair.

But now I don't find any stickers or part numbers on the hood. It seems to be fine but doesn't close as well as it used to before (needed to be slammed down whereas earlier you just drop it from a small height and it would shut tight). I also compared it to a 2007 e90 at the dealership. When I shut the hood at the same height only one of the 2 latches lock properly.

So now how do I tell I got a new hood? There are no stickers or part numbers on it - is there supposed to be?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
skaar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Does it matter? The issue is that the hood repair isn't to original condition, which is what the insurance generally requires. I'd complain anyway and get it reinstalled.

And ask for your money back on the cost difference for the hood for your troubles.

Seems only fair.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Swami says "Yes, you got a new hood"

putz.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

You also need to get a new insurance company. You don't pay insurance to have reconditioned parts put on
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
BarefootManiac
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Breakneck Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
Swami says "Yes, you got a new hood"

putz.
LMFAO
      11-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
IancoleTX
Dillo boxers
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

lol I would bitchslap my insurance. New hood only.
      11-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

In insurance like everything else, ya get what you pay for. Want oem new repair parts, expect to pay big bucks for the insurance....
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #8
scrufy
Zoom Zoom This
United_States
Rep
Drives: The Short Bus

The problem with if its a new hood or not doesnt = the problem closing it.
As said above--
If they alligned the front support (where the latches are) and the body parts where the hinges are, and used either a new or STRAIGHT recon'd hood,there would be zero issues closing it either way.
You need to take it back and tell them to straigten or adjust more parts on your car. Even if its just adjusting the latches..

Simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
As long as I have been with Nationwide - their policy is to replace parts with new, supposedly approved, generic aftermarket parts, instead of new oem parts.

Unless I pay xtra for the 'Replacement with NEW OEM Parts ONLY' addendum (which I did with the BMW).

It's right there in the fine print of the policy to read. Following this plan with my old Grand Am:

> Hood Damaged - replaced with aftermarket 'approved' hood & painted. Hood rusted from inside out in 1 year. They had to replace 2nd time with oem hood and paint again.

> Front Bumper cover damaged - insurance only paid to fix the tear and repaint. Cover broke again at repair. They had to replace with OEM cover and repaint.

> Headlight Damaged - replaced with aftermarket 'approved' generic headlight assmy. Within 1 yr the light filled with water like a fishbowl. Had to replace with oem headlight.

Any work done on the car has a Lifetime Warranty against defects of materials or workmanship. So every time they try to save $$ by putting on cheaper parts - they end up paying more in the long run to do the job twice.

Apparently, some insurance bean counter is not doing his job. In the end, I did get oem parts without having to pay the premium, but my lost time and hassle made up for it.

BMW will only be fixed with OEM parts as I pay xtra for the addendum...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
sk8board511
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90-Bikes on bikes on bikes

i say you have a crappy body shop who is taking the money from your insurance and buying you $hitty parts, while they keep the difference
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
You also need to get a new insurance company. You don't pay insurance to have reconditioned parts put on
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IancoleTX View Post
lol I would bitchslap my insurance. New hood only.
And this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board511 View Post
i say you have a crappy body shop who is taking the money from your insurance and buying you $hitty parts, while they keep the difference
Also possible. In which case, you need a new body shop and insurance company.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
from what i researched, pretty much all insurance companies do this. it depends on the state regulations and NC is probably the most consumer unfriendly state.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #13
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board511 View Post
its worse, i bought the hood directly from their bmw parts department but i have no clue what they actually put on (they had earlier ordered a reconditioned hood and had some trouble returning it). i wish there was something on the hood that tells me whether it was new or reconditioned
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #14
BarefootManiac
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i Breakneck Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidozoom View Post
its worse, i bought the hood directly from their bmw parts department but i have no clue what they actually put on (they had earlier ordered a reconditioned hood and had some trouble returning it). i wish there was something on the hood that tells me whether it was new or reconditioned
Ask to see the reconditioned hood, and then compare it to the hood on your car. Maybe you will be able to tell the difference between the two. Clues will most likely appear on the inside of the hoods. Look for blemishes, scratches, wields, anything that will say "hey, I'm the reconditioned hood". Then what happens if the recondition hood is on your car? Well... Idunno... Best of luck!