E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > does a bad ignition coil indicate a bad plug?

10-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

does a bad ignition coil indicate a bad plug?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

No, not at all. A bad coil is a bad coil or computer problem (not sending a ground signal to fire the coil/plug)

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
325high
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3

Good, thanks. And this is a stupid question but the spark plug screws into the engine, not into the end of the coil, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Yes, that's right. The spark plug screws into the cylinder head, with the electrode protruding into the combustion chamber of a cylinder.

There is one possible side effect of a bad ignition coil: fouled plug.
Why?
If the coil was simply not producing any voltage/not enough voltage, what you have is a cylinder where the spark plug was misfiring. This leads to plug fouling.

If you have a fouled plug, this is easily correctable; just pull the plug and clean it, put it back in.
      10-30-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Yes, that's right. The spark plug screws into the cylinder head, with the electrode protruding into the combustion chamber of a cylinder.

There is one possible side effect of a bad ignition coil: fouled plug.
Why?
If the coil was simply not producing any voltage/not enough voltage, what you have is a cylinder where the spark plug was misfiring. This leads to plug fouling.

If you have a fouled plug, this is easily correctable; just pull the plug and clean it, put it back in.
I'm pretty sure that fuel will shut off to the cylinder that has lost spark, resulting in a spark plug that should not be fouled, also I was under the understanding that platinum spark plugs should not be cleaned or re-gapped.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
galahad05
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '07 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by J02 335i View Post
I'm pretty sure that fuel will shut off to the cylinder that has lost spark, resulting in a spark plug that should not be fouled, also I was under the understanding that platinum spark plugs should not be cleaned or re-gapped.
Yeah, you're probably right, the DME should be smart enough to kill the fuel to the cylinder--IF it can tell that the coil went south.

You can surely clean platinums.
Here's an easy how-to (for any plugs, including platinums): http://www.ehow.com/how_5099351_clean-spark-plugs.html
      10-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Yeah, you're probably right, the DME should be smart enough to kill the fuel to the cylinder--IF it can tell that the coil went south.

You can surely clean platinums.
Here's an easy how-to (for any plugs, including platinums): http://www.ehow.com/how_5099351_clean-spark-plugs.html
I think that is kinda old school spark plug cleaning lol, like if your snowmobile were too foul a plug. They told us at trade school to never gap or clean platinum spark plugs, it had something to do with the coating coming off the plug. I could be wrong, I just vaguely remember something about this.

Appreciate 0