E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New Start Stop function

10-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
RickC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi Coupe and Z4

New Start Stop function

I was wondering about the new start stop function that turns off the motor at lights and other stops.

Can it be turned off or defeated in some other way?

Will the mileage savings be defeated by the increased cost of battery and starting motor replacements?

Do I really want a cold engine to be continuously turned off and on?

Does the feature add the the car cost?

Is it possible for it to fail in the off mode and leave me stranded?

It seems to me this is an answer to a question no one asked? The car gets more and more complicated. I just want to drive it and enjoy it. I do not want it braking for me or turning the engine on and off.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #2
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Gee, You think maybe they have considered these issues and taken steps to address them?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

[B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC View Post
I was wondering about the new start stop function that turns off the motor at lights and other stops.

Can it be turned off or defeated in some other way?

Will the mileage savings be defeated by the increased cost of battery and starting motor replacements?

Does the feature add the the car cost?

Is it possible for it to fail in the off mode and leave me stranded?

It seems to me this is an answer to a question no one asked? The car gets more and more complicated. I just want to drive it and enjoy it. I do not want it braking for me or turning the engine on and off.
I agree with the above questions and had the same when this technology was mentioned years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
Gee, You think maybe they have considered these issues and taken steps to address them?
yeah im sure bmw considered them and did "some testing"... just like the HPFP...
dont assume they have a flawless product.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
[B]

I agree with the above questions and had the same when this technology was mentioned years ago.

yeah im sure bmw considered them and did "some testing"... just like the HPFP...
dont assume they have a flawless product.

ppp
youre paranoid. These systems have been around for years. Do you really think they built bad HPFP on purpose? is ANYBODY positive on this site ANYWHERE?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
RickC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi Coupe and Z4

"Gee, You think maybe they have considered these issues and taken steps to address them?"

Einstein on Simplicity
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.”

As an engineer myself I believe simple is good and that things can become overly complex and over engineered. I like my 335 and Z4. The Z4 is simple and provides a better driving experience overall. I believe that the start stop function is a bit of over engineering similar to the "hill holder" brake function on my automatic 335xi.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
zaheer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

the start stop feature is only on 4 cylinder models...i dont know how that will affect you guys in the first place...
      10-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #7
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC View Post
I was wondering about the new start stop function that turns off the motor at lights and other stops. Can it be turned off or defeated in some other way?
You have a switch to override until the next key off. You learn when to use that real quick. And it looks like it doesn't kick in when certain fault are active ( seat belt for example but let's not go there)

Quote:
An automated hot start is dead easy on the engine / starter / battery

Quote:
it doesn't do it when the engine is cold

Quote:
Does the feature add the the car cost?.
no, utilizing existing parts and some software, but you'll pay for it anyway

Quote:
Is it possible for it to fail in the off mode and leave me stranded?.
anything is possible

Quote:
It seems to me this is an answer to a question no one asked?
It's there to pass the emission cycle test. No one asked for EGR, DPF's etc either
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

To the OP: Which BMW models sold in the US have this feature?

Tom
Appreciate 0