E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW at idle and off a stop.

10-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #1
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

BMW at idle and off a stop.

I'm new to BMW in that I just got my car in September. I've been a big Honda owner and still am with other cars in the family.

I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to cars but I just want to know if it is normal for the BMW to have a noticable vibration at a stop and a "lurchy" kind of start from a stop (like at a light or stop sign). I figured it must be the nature of a more "performance" type engine than what I am used too.

Hondas (at least the Accords and Pilot I've owned) are generally silent and you can hardly notice the engine is even running at a stop and are very smooth when when transistioning and picking up speed from a stop.

Not that the BMW is horrible or anything - just different and perhaps "more aggressive"??

Sorry to run on for so long but I just want to know if this is normal in BMW's and I don't have an issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Adamantine
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2008 335i

I experienced the same thing. I mentioned it to my service advisor when I brought my car in for service and they checked it out. Turns out there were some codes being thrown for the dreaded HPFP. It is currently being replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
I'm new to BMW in that I just got my car in September. I've been a big Honda owner and still am with other cars in the family.

I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to cars but I just want to know if it is normal for the BMW to have a noticable vibration at a stop and a "lurchy" kind of start from a stop (like at a light or stop sign). I figured it must be the nature of a more "performance" type engine than what I am used too.

Hondas (at least the Accords and Pilot I've owned) are generally silent and you can hardly notice the engine is even running at a stop and are very smooth when when transistioning and picking up speed from a stop.

Not that the BMW is horrible or anything - just different and perhaps "more aggressive"??

Sorry to run on for so long but I just want to know if this is normal in BMW's and I don't have an issue.
Are you talking about the grab of the brakes?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

I love these threads. This is my first BMW and it reeks like burning rubber. I've never owned a BMW before so I'm not sure if its normal... WTF?

THere shouldn't be a noticable vibration at a stop. There are a lot of things that could cause that, but I'd get it checked out, it could be a mount.
Appreciate 0