BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

01-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
BimmerMan43
Rep
Drives: M3

Introduction

What's up everyone? Just thought I'd introduce myself real quick. I've got an M3 and am still looking to gain some knowledge as to just how much power these can take. I look forward to learning some stuff from the other members here... check out my ride...

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
oneshare325
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Nice ride and let me be the first to say welcome! We have alot of members here with m3 (e46's) and I am sure they can help you out alot. But I would bet that as far as performance and mods m3post or m3 forum would be your best bet! Did you just get your m3?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #3
BimmerMan43
Rep
Drives: M3

Yeah, I've only had it a couple of months. I've just been enjoying the ride... I just know that eventually I'm going to want to go faster.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshare325 View Post
Nice ride and let me be the first to say welcome! We have alot of members here with m3 (e46's) and I am sure they can help you out alot. But I would bet that as far as performance and mods m3post or m3 forum would be your best bet! Did you just get your m3?
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2007, 11:31 AM   #5
oneshare325
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 325i  [0.00]
Wow...I was just checking back on this thread and it got moved to the m3 forum, guess my original post no longer applies! Congrats again!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 06:19 AM   #6
Helix
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3CS

Depends what you mean by 'take'. I'm no expert, and all the following is 'hear-say', so entirely at your risk!

The feeling in the UK is that the chassis will take a lot extra, but the brakes are 'pants' - AP Racing is one popular mod to prevent fade, if pads matched to use. Transmission (man or SMG) is said to be strong. Engine (provided you are later than, or through, the bottom end problems) is, they say, OK for more than 500 bhp but since the standard engine is already highly tuned you need a supercharger to get there (over here there are still problems with charge cooling. I believe).

'Easy' improvements are chip and exhaust, but don't expect miracles - we are talking perhaps 10-15 bhp for the chip alone, 30-40 with exhaust too. If I did it, it would be for driveability rather than the extra power - standard is sufficient oomph for my needs.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Lex
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i M Sport Sport Wagon

Garage List
I would check out www.dinancars.com they have everything that's factory installed @ an authorized BMW dealership. They have two different superchargers with a package of other mods good for I think 423hp for one package & 462hp for the other.Booku $$$$ though. As wel as bunch of less involved & not as costly mods.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2007, 03:34 AM   #8
Helix
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
I would check out www.dinancars.com they have everything that's factory installed @ an authorized BMW dealership. They have two different superchargers with a package of other mods good for I think 423hp for one package & 462hp for the other.Booku $$$$ though. As wel as bunch of less involved & not as costly mods.
462 bhp and 328 lb/ft sounds nice, though as you say, $25k is a lot of bread. Still, it is an impressive total package, a sensible total up-grade including brakes & suspension, plus shorter gearing, not just bolt-on power, so it seems reasonable value to an outsider.

Can you clarify re 'factory installed at authorised BMW dealership' - I presume it is Dinan's factory and warranty, not BMW's?
      04-20-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
Kafka
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMG

M3 supercharging

I'm seriously considering putting a supercharger in my 2004 M3 (end of extra weight b/c of convertible issue for me then).

BMW would like to see me Dinan products. The positive is that my warranty will still be valid after installation. The negative is the HUGE costs.

The original product I am looking at is the vf-engineering supercharger (see http://www.vf-engineering.com/) which is about $12K (US) installed, has 3 year warranty but if something goes wrong my BMW warranty would be null and void. However, it seems like a great product and problem free. You get about 450 horsepower and torque goes up to about 330 (yes, apparently it is like flying). They are made for BMWs.

My questions is, had anyone any news from anyone who actually has installed the vp-engineering supercharger? Comments please!!!!
Thanks in advance!
K.

P.S. Check this video, made by vp-engineering for their supercharger.
/www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii16X1UqJDs
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
Kafka
Private
Canada
Rep

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix View Post
462 bhp and 328 lb/ft sounds nice, though as you say, $25k is a lot of bread. Still, it is an impressive total package, a sensible total up-grade including brakes & suspension, plus shorter gearing, not just bolt-on power, so it seems reasonable value to an outsider.

Can you clarify re 'factory installed at authorised BMW dealership' - I presume it is Dinan's factory and warranty, not BMW's?

Thanks for the good feedback.

Let me clarify, the VF-Engineering Supercharger is $12K (US) installed and will include some new brake pads. If you have a look at their web site it includes a water/air cooler and you don't need any other mods (exhaust,etc.). All of this makes it unique. It does come with a 3 year unlimited mileage full warranty but BMW informed me it might void part of my BMW warranty coverage. However, from what I have read it product seems reliable. Still, I would some feedback from others who have knowledge of this product before dropping $12K. The owner of the shop did say I would experience some minor gas costs (not too bad as the new power doesn't really kick in until 4-5K so daily drive is ok) and to look for buying new tires more often. However, it seems a MAJOR rush.

The Dinan products (excellent product I hear-although I heard a rumor the company is struggling) can be installed by my BMW dealer (so BMW warranty is ok) but you have to make a LOT of other mods to balance the new power which means a LOT more $ than the VP product. The Dinan mods are way past my budget.

Any thoughts on the VP supercharger? If you have seen the VP video it does make it tempting - and makes your pulse quicken.

Since I'm asking for favors from the more experienced E46 M3 drivers here, I'll ask another. I'm getting new PIAA Hyper Black Super Rozza 2 rims this week with GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 DS-G3 tires. Any feedback regarding this products (yah I know, I should have asked before I put down my $)

Thanks guys.
K.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
AustinClarke
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi Forum Members! I am a SEO Professional and joined the forum to increase & share my knowledge here. Hope Seniors will welcome me.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
andre cavor
Registered
Rep

M3 driver new to the site

GM everyone I'm new to this I wanted to know how do I make my 1st post!!!
Appreciate 0