E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Questions regarding e92.

01-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
boggysv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A4, but riding the bus for now

Questions regarding e92.

Hello all,

I've recently been to the BMW dealer at parklane, and was told that the "M sport" coupe would be available in 2/3 months time? Can anyone confirm this?

Also, a few questions if you dont mind

1) How is the pricing/sale done here in the UK? Do dealers sell the car at the full listed price, or is there room for negotiation? If there is, how much can I expect?
Or is this dealer dependent?

2) For londoners, how is the Park Lane Dealer? Or are there any other recommended ones?

3) I've read quite alot about the overheating problems on the 335i, but iirc, Most of them are in America. Are there any UK/EU failures?

4) Anything I should lookout for or know when purchasing a bmw here in the UK? Or anything in general? (Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not a local)

That's all for the moment, just doing a little homework. I doubt I would be purchasing soon though.

Rgds,
Chen
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 03:30 AM   #2
red-max
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggysv
Hello all,
I've recently been to the BMW dealer at parklane, and was told that the "M sport" coupe would be available in 2/3 months time? Can anyone confirm this?
Not sure about the exact availability - did you see this thread: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42954

Quote:
Also, a few questions if you dont mind

1) How is the pricing/sale done here in the UK? Do dealers sell the car at the full listed price, or is there room for negotiation? If there is, how much can I expect? Or is this dealer dependent?
Discounts vary, so my advice would be to do your homework so you know what you can reasonably expect, and if you have the time, get quotes from more than one dealer.

Try some online sites such as www.buyacar.co.uk to get a good indication of possible discount on new car and trade-in for your car.

If you're looking for a good deal, then you could buy a nearly-new car rather than a factory order. Of course that means you might not get the exact spec you want, and there's the risk you buy an ex-demo car that has been thrashed. If you want a 335i M Sport, then perhaps that's not an option.

Quote:
2) For londoners, how is the Park Lane Dealer? Or are there any other recommended ones?
I don't know the Park Lane dealer, but I would suggest you also try at least one other dealer who is out of town, just for comparison.

Quote:
3) I've read quite alot about the overheating problems on the 335i, but iirc, Most of them are in America. Are there any UK/EU failures?
I've not seen any postings from UK members with 335i overheating problems, but I've got a 335d (no problems so far, touch wood).

Quote:
4) Anything I should lookout for or know when purchasing a bmw here in the UK? Or anything in general? (Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not a local)
If you can sell your own car privately, you are in a stronger position when buying - BMW dealers will give you "book" price for your trade-in, which is quite a bit less than you could get privately. If you haggle they often will give you more on the trade-in but then will expect you to pay close to full asking price for the new car (so they give you at one end, take away at the other end). For this reason some magazine articles suggest you focus on the "cost to change".

Good luck
      01-15-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Welcome the the forum!

I went to the Park Lane dealer when ordering my E90. They assume you are made of money because you are buying a BMW in Central London and they wouldn't budge a bit on list price. They gave me some b*ll*cks about getting the cars earlier than other dealers which is rubbish.

I did slightly better with my local dealer in SW London, but again, they gave me very little discount and extra's. I actually bought my car in Bristol where my parents live. Got a cracking discount, extras thrown in and a deal that the London dealers could not match. So shop around!

I know others who have imported a UK spec car from Germany and saved £££.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 05:23 AM   #4
red355
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: RS4 Avant V8

Garage List
I managed £1,500 discount 2 months before the launch date...local dealer was not budging a millimetre. A dealer 150 miles away has to give you a good price otherwise why you you ever buy from them?

It cost me a 3 hours plus a one way train fare (advance booking) of £19.50, then a smile-filled drive home to save the price of the leather & DAB.

Past¦E92 335D Evolved (but still dull) ¦ Boxster S ¦ E46 328!SE ¦ E36 325! coupe ¦ E30 325! sport ¦ MINI Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
boggysv
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies. It's home work time it seems.

I do not have any car with me in the UK right now, no chance of trading in, nor driving to dealers far far away. I dont reckon it's possible to get a decent deal through phone enquiries?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty
Welcome the the forum!

I went to the Park Lane dealer when ordering my E90. They assume you are made of money because you are buying a BMW in Central London and they wouldn't budge a bit on list price. They gave me some b*ll*cks about getting the cars earlier than other dealers which is rubbish.

I did slightly better with my local dealer in SW London, but again, they gave me very little discount and extra's. I actually bought my car in Bristol where my parents live. Got a cracking discount, extras thrown in and a deal that the London dealers could not match. So shop around!

I know others who have imported a UK spec car from Germany and saved £££.
Indeed MF!
I saved around 12-13% of the UK price for my 330i by importing it through a German BMW dealership.

The only difference from the UK dealer car, apparently, is the availability of the alarm 'panic' button to me, which 'UK' cars don't have- so be it!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
boggysv
Private First Class
Rep

How does one go about importing it from a german bmw dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I used this company.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #9
red-max
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
I used this company.
Viv
Interesting - they also quote reasonable discounts to supply through UK dealer.

One of my concerns with buying an import is that you have to declare it to be a non-UK car when you trade it in ... and how's that going to affect your trade-in price? If you're planning to keep the car 3 or 4 years (or more) that's probably not an issue, but if you go to trade it in after 2 years (or less) you might be offered a lot less than you expect ... anyone have any direct experience of this?
      01-15-2007, 06:34 PM   #10
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
Indeed MF!
I saved around 12-13% of the UK price for my 330i by importing it through a German BMW dealership.

The only difference from the UK dealer car, apparently, is the availability of the alarm 'panic' button to me, which 'UK' cars don't have- so be it!

Viv
Quote:
Do Imported Cars Carry the 3 Year warranty or is it only 2? (I know Alpina's only have the 2 year Manufacturers warranty as they are classed as imports)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 02:26 AM   #11
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Yep, only 2 year warranty on the imported BMW but you can pay extra to extend it. Viv can confirm
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 02:08 PM   #12
boggysv
Private First Class
Rep

I see. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beauforty
Yep, only 2 year warranty on the imported BMW but you can pay extra to extend it. Viv can confirm
Indeed MF- 2 year trans-European warranty, valid at any BMW dealer.

I'm pretty sure that the warranty BMW provide (inc roadside assistance) is organised through a 3rd party ie not by BMW themselves.

I asked BMW UK what the likely price of a 3rd year of warranty would be for my car- £750 or so, they said.

You can get the same warranty from other companies, including the BMW Car Club, for a lot less.

Taking all additional costs into account, including the additional warranty, I still ended up saving around 12-13%.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-max
Interesting - they also quote reasonable discounts to supply through UK dealer.

One of my concerns with buying an import is that you have to declare it to be a non-UK car when you trade it in ... and how's that going to affect your trade-in price? If you're planning to keep the car 3 or 4 years (or more) that's probably not an issue, but if you go to trade it in after 2 years (or less) you might be offered a lot less than you expect ... anyone have any direct experience of this?
As you say, red-max, it's not likely to be an issue if you keep the car for at least 3 years.

Stealerships are just that- they are likely to offer as least as possible on a trade-in, but I suppose you could try haggling down the price of the car you are going to buy next- they'll screw you any which way!

I've been very satisfied with importing the car & have had no problem with doing that.
Even as an import, I had no problem having the car updated for mp3 playback, a year ago, without any charge, because of this great forum.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #15
Jonathan335i
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Don't forget Park Lane is owned by BMW GB.

I bought my wife an ex. demo car from them a few years ago and they did a reasonable deal and had exactly the spec we wanted.

Tried to buy a 335 coupe in October from them and they were adrift on the deal.

They do get some great / high spec cars especially if you're looking for individual.

Jonathan
Appreciate 0