E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Mod Ideas

09-02-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
MichiganBMW335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: Drak Grey 335i Sedan

Garage List
3007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Mod Ideas

Hello everyone

I am new to the forum and just bought 2007 BMW E90 335i with an AT and sport package. I am looking to do some modification the the preformence of my of my DD. I found that my car was part of the original 07s that did not get the oil cooler (preatty pissed). I tried to talk to the BMW NA to try and get it retrofited and they told me that because I was not the original owner there was nothing they could to.

List of mods I want to get. Any thoughts on what kind or where to buy would be appricated.

Oil cooler
Intercooler
JB3 2.0
Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
donsgolf2012
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
look at jlevistreetwerks.com or jbspeed.com they always have good stuff
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #3
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a man late for work

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.76]
go to your regional forum...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

See what guys in your area think/run/where they get it from.

I can tell you from living in the midwest myself, the oil cooler is only really necessary if you plan to track the car. For a DD and occassional hard runs, you will be fine without it....and your oil temps will only concern you on a few of the worst days.

Otherwise your short list is fine. Have you considered upgrading your wheels and getting new non-rft tires? Also, gonna need a winter setup if you plan on driving in the winter....the all seasons are OK, but proper winter tires will be much better.

Also, since you are in the midwest...WSTO is our preferred vendor for almost everything:

http://www.wheelsto.com/

You can contact Dave@wsto on this forum.

Oh, and downpipes.

and a rear diff.

and coilovers.

and sways....

etc, etc, etc...in fact just contact WSTO give him your credit card, take the bills and burn them. Do not open.
      09-03-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFV335i View Post
go to your regional forum...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44

See what guys in your area think/run/where they get it from.

I can tell you from living in the midwest myself, the oil cooler is only really necessary if you plan to track the car. For a DD and occassional hard runs, you will be fine without it....and your oil temps will only concern you on a few of the worst days.

Otherwise your short list is fine. Have you considered upgrading your wheels and getting new non-rft tires? Also, gonna need a winter setup if you plan on driving in the winter....the all seasons are OK, but proper winter tires will be much better.

Also, since you are in the midwest...WSTO is our preferred vendor for almost everything:

http://www.wheelsto.com/

You can contact Dave@wsto on this forum.

Oh, and downpipes.

and a rear diff.

and coilovers.

and sways....

etc, etc, etc...in fact just contact WSTO give him your credit card, take the bills and burn them. Do not open.
+ 1, sound advice
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 01:52 AM   #5
turb0mik3
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Racecar

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [8.90]
I don't see why everyone thinks that by adding HP it improves the car, lol. If you really want to see an improvement in the quality of your car, I would 100% do suspension work and an LSD. Get coils or M3 suspension parts and an LSD. Neither will void warranty (well shocks and spring warranty will void but the M3 parts are covered by BMW) and you will see a DRAMATIC change. And of course wheels and tires. Good luck and have fun!

HG Motorsports | Motiv Motorsport | Sparta Evolution | BBS Motorsports | Sabelt | JRZ |
NASA ST1 SoCal --- 554whp/487wtrq --- 3200lbs <<YouTube Channel w/ Race Videos>>
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

DD = basics. The "JDM" fundamentals would be:

Intake, exhaust, springs, wheels.

Then... Tune, DP, LSD, coil-overs, roll bars, BBK.
      09-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
midwesterner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I would also recommend going with suspension and wheels. I did some Koni yellows with H&R springs and it has made the 335 much "tighter". I would do a tune after a few months since you should get comfortable with the car. Once you get bored with the power, throw on the tune and you will be amazed. Finally, wheels and/or tint are great to transform the look of your car. Swapping out to non-run flats will instantly make your car perform better. If you decide on wheels, let me know. I am selling a set of BBS-CH 19' rims with tires and I am drive in your neck of the woods quite frequently.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
MichiganBMW335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: Drak Grey 335i Sedan

Garage List
3007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Currently I have the stock 18 inch sport wheels with continental DWS's and have a set of blizak tires for the winter. Also when I bought the car it already had tint all the way around. I would like to get newer rims. I would like to get a 18 in version of the M3 wheels. i dont know if i want to go to 19 in with the roads and pot holes in michigan. I also would like to do a LSD but that will probably be a little later. I want to do at least exhaust by the end of the year. Do you think that a CAI or different intake (AFe) is worth the money over the stock?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
lastMleft
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflowt5 View Post
I don't see why everyone thinks that by adding HP it improves the car, lol. If you really want to see an improvement in the quality of your car, I would 100% do suspension work and an LSD. Get coils or M3 suspension parts and an LSD. Neither will void warranty (well shocks and spring warranty will void but the M3 parts are covered by BMW) and you will see a DRAMATIC change. And of course wheels and tires. Good luck and have fun!
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
Ricer X
noted crusty old man
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a man late for work

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganBMW335i View Post
Currently I have the stock 18 inch sport wheels with continental DWS's and have a set of blizak tires for the winter. Also when I bought the car it already had tint all the way around. I would like to get newer rims. I would like to get a 18 in version of the M3 wheels. i dont know if i want to go to 19 in with the roads and pot holes in michigan. I also would like to do a LSD but that will probably be a little later. I want to do at least exhaust by the end of the year. Do you think that a CAI or different intake (AFe) is worth the money over the stock?
Regarding the intake. I've heard different arguments. I can tell you first hand that while on a dyno we ran my car with the hood open and then closed it and the negative impact of closing the hood and restricting the airflow was dramatic. Also, due to placement, heatsoak becomes an issue. So, I don't think an intake can hurt, but honestly, in terms of bang for your buck...that JB3 or other tune is gonna have the biggest impact. Everything after that is incremental.

I'm not disagreeing with everyone's assessment of the suspension components, I think that is important too...note I'm running KW2's and aftermarket wheels/perf tires. But as a daily driver, unless you are taking alot of twistys or hard turns...you will feel the effects from the tune more on your butt dyno than you will notice the upgraded suspension.

In the end, do them all to your hearts content, it's just what priority. If aesthetics are your concern, def wheels/drop. If going fast is your priority, tune/exhaust.