E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > SOS malfunction light keeps coming on

01-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Javier
Major
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

SOS malfunction light keeps coming on

My 328i is barely a month old and i keep getting the SOS malfunction light (emergency calling). Its happened about 3 to 4 times already and every time the bmw assist and bluetooth go down. Can make any calls. its really frustrating. id hate to take it to the dealership and have to wait to get it fixed i'm 21 and probably wont get a loaner, and i cant be without a car.

have any of you had this issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Javier
Major
Puerto Rico
Rep

anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 06:55 PM   #3
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
mine was doing that as well, it finally stopped.

I think there is a BMW Recall as well. i dont remember the SB number though
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
BayernMuenchen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

I've had the SOS failure once. So I hit the SOS button and to my suprise was connected with BMW assist....
      01-05-2007, 02:04 AM   #5
Javier
Major
Puerto Rico
Rep

i hit the SOS button when the failure lamp was on, and nothing happened.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 02:13 AM   #6
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I've had the SOS failure light appear (looks like an upside down anchor without my glasses) and the entire iDrive system failed. No stereo, no navigation, no car data, no communications. The battery drained in three days to where the remote couldn't unlock the doors. The CD and DVD drives have been replaced, a couple of modules have been replaced, and the service center is awaiting a new wiring loom. All this after ten months of joyful ownership.

BTW, the dealership that is servicing the car isn't the dealership I bought it from but I still have a very good rapport with them. They even offered a loaner.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
OrangeCounty949
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

About a couple weeks ago I got the "left brake lamp malfunction" warning on my iDrive. I brought the car in, and when I picked it up I turned it on and warnings came on for both the left and the right brake lamps. After that was supposedly fixed, I got another "right brake lamp malfunction" warning the next day. I brought it back in for a 3rd time and about a week later (a couple days ago) the warning came on again. I have now brought my car in 4 times for this. My car is supposed to be ready today, so we will see how it goes, but I have a feeling I will be bringing it back again. This is what they have done so far.

1st attempt - clean sensors
2nd attempt - replace both lights
3rd attempt - upgrade iDrive
4th attempt - replace right light
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2007, 04:04 PM   #8
335iNut
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
I've had the SOS failure light appear (looks like an upside down anchor without my glasses) and the entire iDrive system failed. No stereo, no navigation, no car data, no communications.
I had the exact same failure after one week. Pressed to SOS button, talked with a rep for a minute or two and after a couple minutes more then the system reset and everything worked fine. Haven't had the problem since.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
b622r
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335

I had the SOS fail and the bluetooth stopped working. The replaced the TCU and I see now that the iDrive is updated to a newer version...nicer color scheme and a have seen some navigational improvements - for example..if I am in Entertianment when the car is turned off - it puts me back there when the car comes back on.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #10
twinturbodude
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
I'd had this exactly once so far...the SOS disabled light lit up briefly while driving, then I've never seen it again. No other weird issues or problems of any kind except for the missing oil cooler, which I may finally get around to rectifying soon. : )

- Bill
      07-23-2007, 09:53 PM   #11
Arle09
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 11 F10 528 Jet Blk/Blk Leather

I just got my car back from this issue...

They had to replace the TCU system. Someone back east (New Jersey) had to approve this. The car was in and out of the dealership twice in the last 4 days. The only thing that made it right was giving me a loaner. I got a 328 sedan. It was nice to compare the coupe vs. sedan. I am too exhausted to think about this issue. The other day the dealership did not have any loaners and the Hertz rental place was very low on cars. What in the heck is going on with BMW??? I hope my problems are solved cause it is rather frustrating to keep bringing the car back and forth to the dealer. Three weeks ago my car was in the dealership due to a winshield wiper container leaking. The car was there all day because they had to pull the right tire out to fix this issue. I got no loaner and had to pay for the rental. But when I get in the car, it feels good again to drive the bimmer.

My 2 cents.

Arle
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 12:40 AM   #12
Mo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6

I ve had this problem too!!! it popped up tonight actually. Turned off my car and turned back on and it was no longer there. PLus i hit the SOS button and i was connected... thank guys for the help and advice....
      07-24-2007, 12:58 AM   #13
LyriCeZ
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' E90 TS 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
My 328i is barely a month old and i keep getting the SOS malfunction light (emergency calling). Its happened about 3 to 4 times already and every time the bmw assist and bluetooth go down. Can make any calls. its really frustrating. id hate to take it to the dealership and have to wait to get it fixed i'm 21 and probably wont get a loaner, and i cant be without a car.

I got this once on a really raining day, but after I turned off the car and started it up again I have never seen it since. It happened about 3 months after I got the car and its been about a month since it's happened. Haven't had any other electronic/sensor problem of any kind. No work was needed to fix the issue..

2006 E90 325i
- ZPP, ZSP(partial shocks/springs), 162's 18", License Plate PDC, L.U.X 4.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2007, 12:59 AM   #14
Pretender
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i, 07 328i, 16 X1, >17M2

Garage List
06 330i  [0.00]
It happened to me once. It was dead. The bluetooth module in the back was super hot. I was frustrated and planned to bring the car in, but next day, it fixed itself and has been okay until now...
      07-24-2007, 01:22 AM   #15
Javier
Major
Puerto Rico
Rep

i took it to the dealership, they reprogrammed it and it hasn't popped up since
      10-29-2007, 12:32 AM   #16
krs71
Private
Rep
Drives: 04 Monte

is there SOS wiring in the passenger front and rear doors? I had a slight accident and both door got dinged. I used the car for a week without issue and then suddenly my whole nav/radio went dead and the SOS error light came on. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 01:10 AM   #17
Diesel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

yes happened to me...

The other day I tried connecting my phone to bluetooth and it was not connecting. I had been using this phone (LG VX8700) for a few months now with no problems whatsoever. Then the SOS symbol with a line through it popped up. I continue to drive home and the knob for volume on the radio was not working properly...I go to turn the volume down and volume raises!

I get home..drive somewhere else and NO SOUND is coming out of the speakers. Later on I drive again everything works normally with no error messages.

Took my car in today. The guy from service said that since it is a phone that is not approved to operate with BMW's bluetooth software it may not be under warranty. They did not attempt to fix the problem. Nobody told me this when I got the car btw. He said it can cause the TCM module or TCU (I think thats what he said it is called) to fry or malfunction which controls the SOS and other stuff.

He said it happened to him in his X5 and he had to get a new phone. So far my unit is working until further notice. Should I not use my phone again b/c it can cause malfunction???? I feel like this is BS if it is happening to other ppl here. What phones are you all using???

Oh and now my Climate control is broken! YES! and i just took my car in for service...COOL! and before this my instrument panel had to be replaced....wtf is with my car!!! I think I might take it to my other dealer that I normall go to and tell them that bluetooth is broken also along with climate control.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #18
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
yes happened to me...

The other day I tried connecting my phone to bluetooth and it was not connecting. I had been using this phone (LG VX8700) for a few months now with no problems whatsoever. Then the SOS symbol with a line through it popped up. I continue to drive home and the knob for volume on the radio was not working properly...I go to turn the volume down and volume raises!

I get home..drive somewhere else and NO SOUND is coming out of the speakers. Later on I drive again everything works normally with no error messages.

Took my car in today. The guy from service said that since it is a phone that is not approved to operate with BMW's bluetooth software it may not be under warranty. They did not attempt to fix the problem. Nobody told me this when I got the car btw. He said it can cause the TCM module or TCU (I think thats what he said it is called) to fry or malfunction which controls the SOS and other stuff.

He said it happened to him in his X5 and he had to get a new phone. So far my unit is working until further notice. Should I not use my phone again b/c it can cause malfunction???? I feel like this is BS if it is happening to other ppl here. What phones are you all using???

Oh and now my Climate control is broken! YES! and i just took my car in for service...COOL! and before this my instrument panel had to be replaced....wtf is with my car!!! I think I might take it to my other dealer that I normall go to and tell them that bluetooth is broken also along with climate control.
I call on your SA...either complain to the Service Mgr. or go to a different dealer if the SOS malfunction pops up again. I've had this pop up a couple times, but it seems to resolve itself after a couple restarts. If it becomes a major ongoing problem, I'll bring it in, but believe me, it is NOT your cellphone causing the problem.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #19
Diesel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
I call on your SA...either complain to the Service Mgr. or go to a different dealer if the SOS malfunction pops up again. I've had this pop up a couple times, but it seems to resolve itself after a couple restarts. If it becomes a major ongoing problem, I'll bring it in, but believe me, it is NOT your cellphone causing the problem.
Yes I think it is also. Thanks for your help. I am going to call my dealer (a different one) b/c my climate control is broken now! Awesome. Maybe they can check the SOS even though the problem corrected itself for now....
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
cgmb16
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328i

Here is a new twist on the SOS Malfunction.

Last night I leave the gym, start the car, and get a burned out bulb warning and the SOS warning. I didn't think anything of it. I go on my merry way and stop two more places. Well the next thing I know, I get a call from my mom calling me to ask if I am okay...I said why? She said that BMW Assist called the house to tell her my car was sending out a mayday signal and that I could have been in a wreck. He told her that they already dispatched the police! She started to freak out. I run out to my car and there is someone on the speakers saying Mr. Garner, Mr. Garner can you respond? I said I am here what is the problem. He said that my car was signaling that I had been in an emergency situation (ex. accident) and that the police should be there any second. I told him to cancel the dispatch and I was fine! I don't know why the car did that.

He told me that I need to have the car serviced so it doesn't do this again. (duh!) What a night!

Sorry for the long read.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151760
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #21
MetsFan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 G37x

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
My SA also told me it was a problem with my cell phone not being on the approved list. I get it from time to time, but it goes away on the next restart.

edit: oops, didn't realize how old this thread was... Sorry

Last edited by MetsFan; 07-28-2010 at 03:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #22
carlosalbertogui
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw E91 facelifted by me

still appening

it happens to me now

SOS call system failure!!

all other things work as they used to work
Appreciate 0