XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-08-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
terryd
Rep
Drives: Honda S2000

X1 Options help

Hi,

Have spent hours and hours through these forums and all over the internet, but struggling to get an idea on a couple of options for the X1 I've just ordered.

We went for a xDrive20d in Sapphire black with the following options:

Comfort Pack (with cruise control)
Performance control (no idea if this is worth it, but sounded good!)
Panoramic sunroof (hope this is worth it, as never actually seen one)
Sun protection glass
Folding mirrors
Black leather, Heated Sports seats with Lumbar adjust
Extended storage
DAB
High Gloss shadowline
Bluetooth telephone prep with telematics
Professional Navigation with Voice control
Style 320 18" wheels with compulsory runflats.

When deciding on the car, I drove an sDrive18d with 17" wheels (non run-flat), and an xDrive23d with 18" runflats, and can't really recall the ride on the latter being too much different, but does anyone have any real-world feedback on wheel size?
Bigger wheels always look good, but the 17's do actually suit the car quite well, so I'm now wondering whether or not to ditch the 18" option.

Also, I need some help with the navigation system. I originally opted for a USB port and no navigation, but eventually added in the professional system and removed the USB as:
- professional has 12Gb of storage so no need to connect iPod
- I believe that with the Phone prep and cradle and iPhone, music can be accessed as if it was plugged into the USB.

Question is, if the professional navigation has a USB in the glove box to load music etc, then can this be used to charge iPods, or even access them? i.e. is there still a point to specifying the USB option (at £210!)

What do people think of the standard sound system? Adequate, or worth an upgrade?

Finally, the Xenon light option - I have these on my Honda S2000 and think they're great, but even with a low level sports car, occasionally cars flash me as they think I have full beam on. Are they worth it for the X1, and being a higher car, anyone had any issues blinding other cars?!

Sorry for the long post - this will be my first BMW, and to be honest, I'm a bit shocked at things which are options on what is a fairly expensive car to start with.

Car is due end of sept, so I've got a bit of time to adjust the spec.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Hi,

First of all congrats on your order I think you specced the car fairly good but you have to upgrade the sound system in my opinion. Basic audio system is a disaster!! Worst audio system I have ever seen! At least order the car with the Hi-Fi system if not Logic7.

The USB port in the glovebox that comes with the Navi system is only for transferring music from a storage device to CIC's hard drive. You have to add the 6FL USB interface option in order to access music from an iPod or flash drive. Don't think of £200 you're ordering a brand new car, retrofitting 6FL is much more expensive. You may regret not ordering them

I have Xenon option on my car and been driving it since November, I haven't got one flash in traffic. You should also go for the Xenon. It also makes the car look better, in my opinion. Also stick with the 18'' wheels.

You might think removing the performance control, or substitute with 6FL. I think it is the most unnecessary option on the list.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
senwar
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x20drive

That's a good list of options that

I used to have a panoramic sunroof in my x5 and thought it was fantastic. Really wish I'd have specced it on mine. The 18's do look a lot nicer in my opinion too.

Re: xenons. I didn't originally order them on mine but decided to add them on as my previous 2 cars have had them and I think I would miss them. They don't seem that expensive on the x1 too.

And totally agree with the costs you can ramp up with BMW options!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
sunnywuh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330

How about sporty suspension?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
yohans
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

That's a nicely spec'ed car.

My specs are here http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=78

I love the sunroof and iDrive which comes with the Satnav.

I also have the 320 wheels, they look great and perform well with the run flats. I have over 10,000 kms now.

Hindsight being 20/20 vision this is what I'd add.

Xenon headlights. I think the standard lights on high beam are really bad (actually awful)

Heated seats. I have the leather seats and didn't think to get the heated option
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
terryd
Rep

Thanks for all the advice....

Decided to stick with the 18" wheels, but against sports suspension - that was my compromise there!

Also, while I was at the dealers, decided to add the Xenons, rear bike rack preparation, black gloss interior trim, USB connector, and the Business speaker system upgrade. Mainly because of the cost of retro-fitting anything later!

Wasn't much left un-ticked on the options list after that though!

Roll on September!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
senwar
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x20drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post

Decided to stick with the 18" wheels, but against sports suspension - that was my compromise there!

Also, while I was at the dealers, decided to add the Xenons, rear bike rack preparation, black gloss interior trim, USB connector, and the Business speaker system upgrade. Mainly because of the cost of retro-fitting anything later!

Roll on September!

The options ticked got bigger then!

Do you know about the bike rack preparation is literally just some holes (I think) for the rack and not an actual rack itself? I didn't when I originally looked and decided against it when I found out.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

Quote:
Hi,

Have spent hours and hours through these forums and all over the internet, but struggling to get an idea on a couple of options for the X1 I've just ordered.

We went for a xDrive20d in Sapphire black with the following options:

Comfort Pack (with cruise control)
Performance control (no idea if this is worth it, but sounded good!)
Panoramic sunroof (hope this is worth it, as never actually seen one)
Sun protection glass
Folding mirrors
Black leather, Heated Sports seats with Lumbar adjust
Extended storage
DAB
High Gloss shadowline
Bluetooth telephone prep with telematics
Professional Navigation with Voice control
Style 320 18" wheels with compulsory runflats.

When deciding on the car, I drove an sDrive18d with 17" wheels (non run-flat), and an xDrive23d with 18" runflats, and can't really recall the ride on the latter being too much different, but does anyone have any real-world feedback on wheel size?
Bigger wheels always look good, but the 17's do actually suit the car quite well, so I'm now wondering whether or not to ditch the 18" option.

Also, I need some help with the navigation system. I originally opted for a USB port and no navigation, but eventually added in the professional system and removed the USB as:
- professional has 12Gb of storage so no need to connect iPod
- I believe that with the Phone prep and cradle and iPhone, music can be accessed as if it was plugged into the USB.

Question is, if the professional navigation has a USB in the glove box to load music etc, then can this be used to charge iPods, or even access them? i.e. is there still a point to specifying the USB option (at £210!)

What do people think of the standard sound system? Adequate, or worth an upgrade?

Finally, the Xenon light option - I have these on my Honda S2000 and think they're great, but even with a low level sports car, occasionally cars flash me as they think I have full beam on. Are they worth it for the X1, and being a higher car, anyone had any issues blinding other cars?!

Sorry for the long post - this will be my first BMW, and to be honest, I'm a bit shocked at things which are options on what is a fairly expensive car to start with.

Car is due end of sept, so I've got a bit of time to adjust the spec.

Cheers
Hey terryd

Very nice high end spec. Enjoy!

We took a slightly different approach.

Original Spec:

- MY2011
- 1.8d – 143bhp for a car the size of the X1 we felt was more than adequate
- xDrive – benefit of AWD, besides if you just want an sDrive save money and buy a 1 series
- Alpine White – Stunning colour for the X1 body shape
- V Spoke (318) 17” – want a cushioned ride and not a bone shaker as you get with RFT and large wheels
- Anthracite/Silver Median Cloth – Felt that leather was too high spec for the X1
- Satin Silver interior trim
- Sun Protection Glass – For security and look
- Windscreen with grey shade band
- USB Interface – becoming standard on most cars now
- Bluetooth - becoming standard on most cars now

We then added:

- Comfort Pack (including Cruise Control) - because every secondhand car had it
- Xenon Lights – for safety

We tried to keep the spec inline with the market positioning of the X1. If we were buying a 3er coupe, X5, 5er or 7er, then leather, Pro Satnav, Voice etc, would be fundamental, but on an X1 you may never see options like these recovered in the resale value.

In the end it's a very personal decision and you should enjoy the spec you go for! Just waiting until Oct for delivery.

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
mozdal
Private First Class
Turkey
Rep
Drives: E84 & F20 & F10

Quote:

Roll on September!
Now, I'm thinking that my post was scarry enough!!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:

Roll on September!
Hi Terryd,

Massive spec that, congratulations on the car.

One question though, have you looked at the 2.3? With the options you have ticked you are probably way over the list for the 2.3d. There is quite a big difference in the performance over the 2.0d and its now available in a manual as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
terryd
Rep

We actually started with a very similar spec to you LRS, but after almost going for a Tiguan with leather, sunroof etc, we, (well, mainly me) felt that the X1 warranted the leather and iDrive.
Like you say, I won't get any money back on the options at re-sale, but then not planning on selling for sometime if it can be avoided, so just spec'd it up to enjoy!

Some of the options like USB and stuff should be standard by now though, especially with the professional multimedia option.

Not normally a fan of white cars, but saw a white X1 in a showroom at the weekend and loved it, nice choice.

Senwar, the Rack prep is indeed just some securing points I believe, the bike rack (and relays for lights) is just under £600 inc. VAT, but it needs the rack prep, which is a £130 factory fit, or about £600 retrofit (so I was told, albeit a bit vague). You can see the screw points behind a couple of covers on the bumper on a car without the prep, so not actually sure what extra is done or included!

Mario - Yeah, did think about that, and was seriously tempted when I heard about the manual option, but to be honest, I found the 18d drove really well and the 23d felt it had a bit more initial turbo lag, so just thought the 20d should be more than adequate (and still £2000 cheaper).

Last edited by terryd; 08-09-2010 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
terryd
Rep

After having the thought of the manual 23d sown firmly in my head by Mario, I have now made the switch! Worked out at an extra £1700 over the x20d as some of the options I'd ticked were cheaper on the 23d.
Unfortunately this now means that the S2000 has definitely got to go, and via private sale rather than px to raise the extra cash!

Thanks for the prompt though Mario - it was the one I wanted really!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #13
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
After having the thought of the manual 23d sown firmly in my head by Mario, I have now made the switch! Worked out at an extra £1700 over the x20d as some of the options I'd ticked were cheaper on the 23d.
Unfortunately this now means that the S2000 has definitely got to go, and via private sale rather than px to raise the extra cash!

Thanks for the prompt though Mario - it was the one I wanted really!
You are welcome

Money no object its the one I would go for as well. I need to save a wee bit so I can finance my next car
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #14
superX1muts
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMX X1 xDrive23

Terry

you made the right decision, I was also looking at a option loaded 2.0D but calculated that with the same package (and free alarm inside) I had to add 'only' 1000 euro. So I picked the 2.3d as well.
Appreciate 0