E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E90 Premium package and folding mirrors

12-29-2006, 09:14 AM   #1
Shaolin_sword36
Rep
Drives: Veyron

E90 Premium package and folding mirrors

I was looking at the price of the premium package in Canada ($4,300) on the 328i, and it seemed to bundle some things I don't want, with some things I'm not sure I need, with one option I want but may or may not be available on its own.

You get the Sunroof, Folding Mirrors, Electric Seats, and Logic 7. I could do without the Sunroof and Logic 7. The electric seats I probably want. What I want to know is, since I have a very small garage, how far do the mirrors stick out from the side of the body? I know the rear fenders are flared out, and if the main issue is the width of the body and not the width of the mirrors, I don't really need them. In this case, is the electric seat option / folding mirrors available separately? That would save me alot of money.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 09:28 AM   #2
asdfaa
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

its much cheaper to get everything in the premium package, rather than buying them piece by piece afterwards and having them installed.

Logic 7 is a surprisingly good stock system, very clear.

I like the folding mirrors, especially in parkades where you have to pull up to a ticket machine, i just fold my mirrors in and i can get much closer to grab the ticket, and also if some asshat is over the yellow lines in the parking lot.
Ruby Black - Individual | Saddle Brown leather | Bamboo Trim | M Sport Package |
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
The mirrors stickout approx 4.5 inches from the door on the E90 so should be the same I'm guessing on the 335. The Premium package was not worth it for me and I just got the ZSP (sports package) which also came with sport seat which. I don't believe you can just get the folding firrors separately sicne they require other items as a packaged deal. It would end up costing you more to get this done which is why its packaged to begin with. Do a seach and I remember specs for the body difference on the E90 and the E92. Good luck!
      12-29-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Shaolin_sword36
Rep
Drives: Veyron

I just checked...the 328i fits snugly in my garage but it works. There is about 10cm clearance on each side.

As for the premium...I understand it is a discounted bundle piece by piece, but I wouldn't get most of the options in that package anyways. I would get it if it included Leather instead of the mirrors and Sound system. But does the Sport Package have electric seats? If it does, I'd rather get that than the moonroof and Logic 7.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #5
sesegal99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I Coupe Sport

I use my folding mirrors all the time. Def worth it.
2009 328i Coupe Space Grey w/ Dakota LeatherSTEP, Sport Pkg. w Paddle Shifters, Prem. Pkg., Comfort Access, Grey Popler Trim, Heated Seats, Shadowline Trim, Xenon Adaptive Lights, GP Thunder Fogs, GP Thunder Angels, RE15mm Spacers, 35% Tint,OEM Alarm, Clear Corners, K&N, Strut Brace
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin_sword36
I just checked...the 328i fits snugly in my garage but it works. There is about 10cm clearance on each side.

As for the premium...I understand it is a discounted bundle piece by piece, but I wouldn't get most of the options in that package anyways. I would get it if it included Leather instead of the mirrors and Sound system. But does the Sport Package have electric seats? If it does, I'd rather get that than the moonroof and Logic 7.
Well here in the US they are electric and the moon roof/logic 7 is standard on the 335. Logic7 is well worth it for factory sound! Comparable to Bose IMO since I have that too! The PP is costly and I don't use the Homelink or the folding mirrors.
      12-29-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

To anyone using the folding mirror option routinely in public place:

Has any jerk tried to unfold it? I thought the mirror mechanism might get damaged (note that my other car could easily fold back and forth so at least when someone unfolded it, it didn't get damaged). Am I being too paranoid?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #8
Utekai
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney
To anyone using the folding mirror option routinely in public place:

Has any jerk tried to unfold it? I thought the mirror mechanism might get damaged (note that my other car could easily fold back and forth so at least when someone unfolded it, it didn't get damaged). Am I being too paranoid?
Can't answer about the unfolding. But I parked on a narrow street and didn't fold them in and someone clipped the driver's side mirror. The mirror itself fell out, and was hanging by electical cords (the heater I think).

As luck would have it I popped it back in, and except for a small scratch in the plastic ring around it, there is nothing else noticable.

I'm thinking BMW engineers are smart enough to assume someone will manually unfold or fold the mirrors.

Something I've noticed, is that after folding, turning car off, turning car back on, and unfolding, the mirrors must be adjusted. They both (driver, passenger) seem to be moved in the fold/unfold process.

Since I fold frequently, this is rather annoying.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #9
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney
Am I being too paranoid?
Yes.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin_sword36
I was looking at the price of the premium package in Canada ($4,300) on the 328i, and it seemed to bundle some things I don't want, with some things I'm not sure I need, with one option I want but may or may not be available on its own.

You get the Sunroof, Folding Mirrors, Electric Seats, and Logic 7. I could do without the Sunroof and Logic 7. The electric seats I probably want. What I want to know is, since I have a very small garage, how far do the mirrors stick out from the side of the body? I know the rear fenders are flared out, and if the main issue is the width of the body and not the width of the mirrors, I don't really need them. In this case, is the electric seat option / folding mirrors available separately? That would save me alot of money.
You forgot to mention leather seats. The PP in canada does come with leather no?

If no leather then IMO your PP is a hair expensive. Logic 7 is very good (not going to find better cheaper system).

If you do get leather then it makes more sense (~1100 for sunroof, ~1100 for leather, ~1100 for Logic 7 = ~$3,300 and add $1k for all the little items such as auto dimming mirrors, folding side mirrors, auto wipers, etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 12:24 PM   #11
asdfaa
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

from the BMW website:

Premium Package $4,300
Includes: Glass Sunroof, Auto Dimming Exterior Mirrors, (Includes power folding mirrors), Electric Seats w/Driver Memory, LOGIC7 Sound System.
Ruby Black - Individual | Saddle Brown leather | Bamboo Trim | M Sport Package |
Appreciate 0