E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Pulling the door handle twice to open the doors?

12-29-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i on ED, pickup 10/6

Pulling the door handle twice to open the doors?

I've tried searching for this, but wasn't quite sure what to use as a search criteria. But, why is it that I have to pull the handle twice (e92 w/ CA) to open the driver or passenger door after driving? If I open the door to the garage, and then pull in, and get out of the car again, I only have to pull the handle once, is this some sort of safety feature?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 01:10 AM   #2
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Yep. Additional child safety feature.
      12-29-2006, 01:11 AM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

is your car locked?? Maybe you have the driveaway locking feature in which the doors lock automatically after a certain MPH. Next time check to see if your door is locked.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 01:16 AM   #4
GuillaumeSoete
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupé & Tesla 85

On the driver's door too? I doubt that.
But since the car automatically locks all the doors when the car starts rolling (some car jacking prevention), and unlocks them when you pull off the "key" (which is not really a key ) ; I think it's what you're talking about.
Try to turn off the engine off and remove the key-transponder thing before getting out of the car and it should unlock the doors and the trunk.

Guillaume
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 01:22 AM   #5
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeSoete
But since the car automatically locks all the doors when the car starts rolling (some car jacking prevention), and unlocks them when you pull off the "key" (which is not really a key ) ; I think it's what you're talking about.
Try to turn off the engine off and remove the key-transponder thing before getting out of the car and it should unlock the doors and the trunk.

Guillaume
yea i didn't think about that, i have comfort access so the key never comes out of my pocket so i would never insert it into the dash, but now that i think about it, its probably the autolock feature, i'll check tomorrow to see if the doors are locked when i open it the first time

that would make sense that when i pull into the garage that i don't have to pull the handle twice

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #6
GuillaumeSoete
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupé & Tesla 85

If you have the comfort acces, it could be more practical to use the unlock switch on the dashboard (on the sedan/touring, it's next to the red triangle one).
Hope this will help.

Guillaume
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 03:08 AM   #7
recruiter
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue(manual)

Thumbs down

If you have drive away lock function on and you stop to pick up a passenger.
This is the trap i fall into; I pull up to pick up; get out and try to open the boot and have to go back and push the boot(trunk) button to load passengers bags, while this happens the person tries the door and cannot get in so i get back in and reach over and pull the door handle twice to successfully pick up a passenger ..... a lot of fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 04:09 AM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I too have gotten into the habit of pulling the handle inside twice, because I'm not used to the lock button being in the center of the dash.

What I'm curious about is with Comfort Access, when I go to open the garage (yes I do not have an automatic opener yet!), and come back, a key with a slash through it is on my dash. What happens with a running vehicle which does not recognize the fob, can someone drive off with it?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 04:28 AM   #9
sobek305
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxx

yep, and as long as they dont turn it off for more than something (30 i think) seconds they can drive until thet want to
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 04:31 AM   #10
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
I too have gotten into the habit of pulling the handle inside twice, because I'm not used to the lock button being in the center of the dash.

What I'm curious about is with Comfort Access, when I go to open the garage (yes I do not have an automatic opener yet!), and come back, a key with a slash through it is on my dash. What happens with a running vehicle which does not recognize the fob, can someone drive off with it?
that's an interesting question, i've noticed that too, the engine is running and all, but in the center screen it shows a key with a slash through...is there some sort of safety device that allows the engine to be on for so long w/o having the fob inside in this case? or is it, the car will run until they stall the motor?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 07:51 AM   #11
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
The doors will not unlock automaticly in the USA versions of the car. The "2 door pulls" to open a locked door from the inside has been a BMW thing for a number of years (I know my last E46 had them, but not sure how far back this goes).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 08:50 AM   #12
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

This has been the case since my e36 ('92) even... I pull unlocks, another pull opens... If the door is already unlocked, then it just takes one pull.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #13
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 F82 M4 ZCP Black/Black

Setting change

You can enable/disable the auto locking function from the menu screens. It can be setup to autolock after time or after driveaway or turned off completely. Mine came with that setting enabled(the after a certain time one, not driveaway), I didn't like having to pull the handle twice to open the door so I disabled it all together. I don't have Idrive, so I used the stalk and went to the setup for locks and picked the last option which is disabled. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #14
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
I'm pretty sure you can do that for the E90 as well! I've just gotten use to it!
      12-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
F30Toad
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Genesis G70

One of the most annoying things BMW does. If the car autolocks when you drive it ought to unlock when you stop, simple logic imo. In our X5 we had this turned off after dealing with it for a few months because it constantly irritated my wife and I.

The two worst things were stopping, getting out and trying to get something out of the backseat or trying to get something out of the tailgate. Even when I remembered to push the hatch button, 50% of the time it would relock before I was able to get out and get to the hatch. And it seems most of the time I needed something from the back seat, I would think of it after I got out. Not to mention that any passengers thought after 1 pull that we had the child safety locks on.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
gos
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Quote:

Guillaume
This behavior can be configured, even on non-iDrive cars
      12-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #17
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Toad
One of the most annoying things BMW does. If the car autolocks when you drive it ought to unlock when you stop, simple logic imo. In our X5 we had this turned off after dealing with it for a few months because it constantly irritated my wife and I.

The two worst things were stopping, getting out and trying to get something out of the backseat or trying to get something out of the tailgate. Even when I remembered to push the hatch button, 50% of the time it would relock before I was able to get out and get to the hatch. And it seems most of the time I needed something from the back seat, I would think of it after I got out. Not to mention that any passengers thought after 1 pull that we had the child safety locks on.
The logic would seem to work in both getting in and out. There is also the child factor and I know that you can switch the lever to prevent that but I also take comfort there is an added protection! They also unlock if you get into an accident!
      12-29-2006, 12:35 PM   #18
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

once to 'unlock', another to 'open'. Only once if your door is already unlocked.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2006, 12:37 PM   #19
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

My lexus opens the lock right away when the door is opened from inside. I like BMW's feature more.
      12-30-2006, 02:31 AM   #20
richbum
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 325i,G35

whats always amusing is watching other people try to get out of the car ^^ i always have to explain to them the concept of the car.

My toy box:
E90 Alpine White
Kerscher front bumper
Eisenmann exhaust
Mtec HIDs

G35 Coupe:
Kenstyle Bodykit
20" JLine Wheels
Greddy StageII Turbo
Greddy Cat-Back Exhaust System
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 12:58 PM   #21
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

I've gotten used to it and to be honest I feel safer knowing that one accidental pull can't send the door flying open if it's locked.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2006, 01:45 PM   #22
rob72
/dev/random
Rep
Drives: .

The locking thing when driving away is obviously primarily a carjacking prevention thing.

And if you think about it for just a second you would realize that unlocking the car automatically when stopped is a BAD thing if your trying to prevent carjacking.
From my limited knowledge on the subject, carjackings are probably most likely to take place when your standing still at a traffic light, someone will open your door and 'convince' you to get out of the car, at which point they will get in and drive away. So unlocking the doors when stopped is obviously BAD.

On the other hand, the car automatically unlocks the doors when you switch the engine off, so you (or one of the passengers) only has to pull the door handle twice if the engine is still running.
Appreciate 0