XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
lakesman
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d

Unhappy Wiper Noise

The wipers on my X1 are noisy. They produce a loud “thud” both at their rest position, and also at their maximum stroke position. Needless to say, the continuous "thud...thud...thud..." soon becomes irritating to all occupants. Lifting both wiper blades eliminates the noise completely. Lifting one, and then the other indicates that there is no difference between blades. The sound reduces somewhat if the rain is very heavy. The stroke itself is silent, the "thud" only occuring at the change of direction. The blade stroke is set correctly and the blades do not contact the screen surround at any point. Thus all suggests that the noise is definitely blade related as opposed to the drive mechanism. But the car has not even done 1500 miles so the blades are effectively new. Before visiting my dealer I would be interested to know whether this is common to all X1s.

Last edited by lakesman; 07-26-2010 at 04:07 AM.. Reason: better description of problem
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Don't have my X1 yet so cannot comment on the wiper noise. Had a similar problem on my mini although it was not that bad. I started using Aquapel on all my windows and it does seem less noisy.

Different blades may sort it if its the "flip" at the end of the sweep. You say you have lifted the blades which stops the noise. Says to me that its luckily not the wiper motor/gears/cam which would have been much more difficult to resolve.

Do ask your dealer first but you could also try some of the soft natural rubber/latex ones.
Appreciate 0