Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 2009 328 xDrive Sports pkg. Tire Wear.

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-24-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
MunnyGuy
Bimmer Fan
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
2009 328 xDrive Sports pkg. Tire Wear.

I brought my car in for the first oil change and mentioned that since I put my Summer wheels/tires on the car has been handling like a tank. I got a call from the service guy saying the rear tires are dead and my fronts are scalloped. He proceeded to tell me that the 328 is an extremely powerful car that can tear up tires quickly.

Here are the details:

- Picked up the car brand new with 90 Kms October 9th, 2010. With the factory set up of Bridgestone Potenza Run flats 225/45R17 in the front and 255/40R17 in the rear.
- Bought and installed Winter rubber and tires from Non BMW shop on Monday October 26th. With 678 kms on the car.
-Winter tires came off on March 15th with 15,265 kms on the odometer.
-Car was brought into dealer with 22,000 kms (13670 miles) on the odometer this week.
- This is all daily driving, I do not track this car.
- Did not have the Dealer install the or remove the Winter setup so I am faxing them the invoices that show it was done.

It seem ludicrous for the Dealer to claim 7400 kms (4598 miles) on the stock rubber is "Normal" wear??? I do not buy the powerful car explanation as I have owned an S4 that had way more guts and I have never burnt through tires like this.

Any tips, comments? Also if I get hosed what tires do you recommend as replacements as good all round Summer tires, same set up?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
mu979
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328cxi

From the information you've provided, it sounds like you could make a solid case for the dealer replacing your tires under warranty (or else they have some serious back-pedaling and explaining to do)! I do know that some people were having problems with the Bridgestone RFTs (cupping issues I think) and BMW was swapping them out under warranty. I'm not exactly sure production dates were involved with that.

With the documentation you have, the burden is on the dealer here. The fact that they are calling the 328 "extremely powerful" is the first sign of something fishy. Don't get me wrong - I love my 328, but anyone honest and knowledgeable would not use that description. If they stand by their assessment, sounds like you have some bad tires that should be replaced under warranty! You could always take it to another dealer for a second opinion if they aren't going to budge on working the warranty angle for you. Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
MunnyGuy
Bimmer Fan
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

Garage List
So I just got a call from my dealer indicating they are waiting for a final decision from BMW and Bridgestone, but that they feel I have a very good case. Duh....

When I asked how these matters are handled my service rep explained it is usually in the form of a credit. So rather than get stuck with the same crappy tires, what should I be looking at?

Should I keep the staggered set up that came with the car?

What is an excellent summer tire? This is a DAILY driver, I have no intention of tracking it. I am looking for driveability and decent tread life.

Any tips, brand suggestions?
Appreciate 0