E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > does anyone use or rate Meguiars finishing polish

07-20-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp (Evolve Tune)

does anyone use or rate Meguiars finishing polish

anyone use this stuff is it worth the 35 quid??
its not a protector though is it...literally as a finisher to give nice shine..?? never used it myself i know a couple of guys on here do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
NickP
Detailing
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Are you using with a PC or Rotary?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

good ole hand action ....lol
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
MattOz
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpina G21 D3S

Garage List
2011 E90 M3  [0.00]
I've got some in my collection and it's pretty good. Usually apply it via PC, or even rotary though. Leaves a lovely slick finish on properly corrected paint.

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
Pioneer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 320d M sport

Most of the megs bodyshop range is to be used with a machine polisher of some sort, although using by hand is fine also. When i'm correcting a BMW paintwork i tend to use the 105 first then this 205 polish to refine the paint.

If you are only looking a simple polish that looks good using just good old elbow grease, stick with auto glym super resin polish. It has fillers so hides swirls and some degree of small sratches, the more layers put on, the more it hides. I would also add a layer of wax to make it last longer.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 04:31 AM   #6
leeadam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
Most of the megs bodyshop range is to be used with a machine polisher of some sort, although using by hand is fine also. When i'm correcting a BMW paintwork i tend to use the 105 first then this 205 polish to refine the paint.

If you are only looking a simple polish that looks good using just good old elbow grease, stick with auto glym super resin polish. It has fillers so hides swirls and some degree of small sratches, the more layers put on, the more it hides. I would also add a layer of wax to make it last longer.
hi i already have the autoglym polish what do you mean by adding a bit of wax to it..am i being thick.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeadam View Post
hi i already have the autoglym polish what do you mean by adding a bit of wax to it..am i being thick.
Just a little

Once you've polished, you need to protect your lovely shiny paintwork again. You have 2 real choices - sealant or wax.

Sealant is much longer lasting - like about 3 to 6 months, but doesn't give the same depth of shine as a wax. Wax will give the glossy, deep shine you see on well detailed cars, but it needs to be regularly reapplied as it's not very hardwearing.

A good cheap sealant is AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection, but you can spend as much as you like Wax is very subjective, but it's considered a good thing to have a high concentration of Carnauba. Any online detailing shop will have dozens to choose from.

HTH
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
One of the detailers on Detailing World (DaveKG) rates 205 very highly indeed - actually a lot of them do, but he has mentioned why in some of his detail reports so if you do a search for threads started by DaveKG - in the "Studio" forum only, you should quickly find why he likes it so much - this is all based on machine polishing with 205, not hand polishing.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Pioneer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 320d M sport

As said above, i meant only for the wax to be applied to the paint after the polishing stage. lol.

Apply 2 or even 3 coats of the auto glym polish then add a coat of either the auto glym extra gloss protection, Or if you want to buy a wax, look at the meguairs mirror glaze #16 wax. It's a durable wax and is only about £12. The tin will last you forever, apply very very thin though as wax is hard to remove from the paint if applied thick.

Unless you are going to invest in a machine polisher, i wouldn't bother buying the 205 polish. Post up pics when you get the car finshed.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Taxboy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E39 520SE Auto

I haven't got a PC and am very much an amateur but I use AG SRP followed by Einszett sealant - this seems to last for ages and gives agreat finish on my silver E39.

For the other half's car I use some Collinite wax - this darkens the colour and the protection seems to go on and on and on

As said earlier a lot of it is down to personal preference, what's in fashion and how much time you want to spend each weekend cleaning the car
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Yep. The OH's car gets sealant a couple of times a year, because she won't do anything other than wash it. My previous cars all got waxed through the summer, and sealed over winter. That way i don't feel so bad about not washing it
Appreciate 0