E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > For all those doubting the OEM alarm

12-25-2006, 12:43 AM   #1
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i

Cool For all those doubting the OEM alarm

I'm not here to refute the fact that the OEM alarm has some disadvantages (steep price, not very sensitive, no shock sensor), but I am here to give you an alternative route w/ the OEM alarm.

My biggest problem w/ the oem alarm is the fact that it doesn't have a shock sensor. I'm going to have to park my car in the student parking lot for the next couple of years and I want an alarm that will be sensitive to tampering hands and feet. I need the OEM alarm to have shock sensor capability.

From my research online at e46fanatics, I discovered that the BMW OEM alarm can be modified to take input from the DEI Stinger 504D Shock Sensor. From the DIY (http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=4291673971) that I found, I was also able to determine that a similar install might be possible on the e92/e90 alarms since, at least w/ my e92 oem alarm, the new 3 series seems to have an identical hood sensor. The hood sensor is located on the right side (facing the car) under the hood in the e92 however. Other than the change in location, this sensor takes the same two wires that are required by the DIY install for the shock sensor.

Long story short, the DEI Stinger Shock Sensor should work with the e90/e92 oem alarm. Successful integration should mean a higher level of security and peace of mind.

The best part yet, the shock sensor only costs about $20 at bimmerblvd.com or $7 if you can find the deal. I was able to pick one up for that price on ebay about 20 minutes ago.

Once my sensor arrives, I will post an update and DIY.

reference links:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...t=shock+sensor

sales links:
http://www.bimmerboulevard.com/produ...products_id=49
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&fsop=1&fsoo=1

Widebody 335i Project Car BUILD | PHOTOSHOOT
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2006, 02:59 AM   #2
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Thx Ironic. Very helpful. Merry Christmas.
      01-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
JoJoGunn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ****

Question

How did it turn out??
Enquiring minds want to know...

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
tirana
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 6MT + F25 35i AT

He's obviously in shock.....
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #5
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Awesome, I suck at the wiring so I want so see some DIY when you're finished.

Just read the first DIY ... a little concerned that it's drawing constant power. But I guess the alarm itself is too.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 02:38 PM   #6
TahoeOG
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

hey what's up bro, nice post and I actually had that installed in my car when i have my e46 here's the info i found.

To have a OEM alarm from BMW is a bit expensive and really usless unless it get's broken into.. litteraly. Soooo people can kick your car, smack your hood, etc.. and your car is parked right in front of your car but you won't know because it will not activate unless "get's broken into, lifted, etc.. (look into manual).

I looked into the DEI Stinger from the e46fanatics.com forum from most of my fellow members. Soooo I went ahead and purchased the cheap thing... (under$25)... I though, it must be hard to install when in fact, it was the EASIEST intall yet. I still gave it to my brother as i usually do for all my mod. Look up the DIY on the forum their and came up with the BEST place to install it is behind the glove box capartment. Anyway i installed it and stuck it to the wall of the car. You can set the degree of sensitivity and everything. Meaning

You want it go go of when somone HITS your car... or you can set it to go off by a single finger flick... Yes it will detect from front to end, and anywhere in between. No you don't need to hack into more wires to do so, all you need it to turn the little button (with a screwdriver) to the left or right. thats it.

was the BEST... i repeat the BEST... I have ever done for my car and the cheapest mod. Guess what...

The NEXT day i was watching tv in my living room and heard my car go off... I immidiatly got my baseball bat and looked thru the window... the car in front trying to partk bumped my car... I went outside as she was trying to leave the sceen. And stopped the lady... My car was good but i told her she just hit my car and was going to leave... she responded i'm sorry i didn't feel it... Bull s@#$.... ANyway it was an old lady so i really don't like to bother elders... So i said it's ok i'm i'm sorry to have caused a big deal and to have a big deal.. Anyway... If it was another person that bumped my car and it really would damage my car, i would of NEVER new untill i walked outside the next morning and saw it... Sooo I give it a 10 from 1 being the worst and 10 being the best. here's why

10-price
10-ease of use
10-alerntness
10-working everytime
10-size and taking up space

Hope this will work for the e92... I hope, because with the stinger, that is the ONLY reason why i would get the OEM alarm... ONLY

Thanks bro
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2007, 02:35 AM   #7
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

alright, my whole isntlal has been delayed because i sitll ahven't received my sensor that i ordered on ebay. i'm planning on possibly ordering another one. the guy gave me a status number, but from wht i udnerstand you get a number whenever you create a shipping label w/ paypal regardless of actual shipping. POS thing.

i'll post a diy when i get my sensor

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

just picked up the shock sensor, i'll de writing something up and installing it myself soon, hopefully it works! :rocks:

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #9
JoJoGunn
Private First Class
Rep

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironic
just picked up the shock sensor, i'll de writing something up and installing it myself soon, hopefully it works! :rocks:

Chop, Chop...And Put up a Review! Do It NOW!!...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
335I_JB
President |||
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335I

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoGunn
Chop, Chop...And Put up a Review! Do It NOW!!...
+1
      01-10-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

alright, i've been trying haha, i didn't want to do it in the hood though because constantly having to remember to unlock before i open the trunk would wind up being really annoying after a while, so i opted for a headliner isntall. i'm having difficulties though. i found the 12v+ and ground fine and the sensor itself lights up, but when it's activated it won't trigger the siren. does anyone know which wire needs to be tapped into for this to work. right now i'm tapping into the USIS in the light dome fixture using this diagram from the e60:

i got power from pin 1, ground from pin 8, and i hooked up the trigger wire to pin 7 (local bus).

but it's not working for some reason, i also tried a diode which i switched around to see if it'd make a difference, but it doesn't.

can anyone give me some insight? that has some electrical experience
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #12
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

I don't understand why this doesn't work. I checked all the contacts and they're fine. Does the DEI's green wire have to be modified to send an "active" msg to the sirens? I think that must be it because it's hooked up right and should be sending a current on the DWA bus, it's just not triggering the siren. Could someone w/ electrical experience please chime in. Thanks

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2007, 10:36 PM   #13
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
I don't understand why this doesn't work. I checked all the contacts and they're fine. Does the DEI's green wire have to be modified to send an "active" msg to the sirens? I think that must be it because it's hooked up right and should be sending a current on the DWA bus, it's just not triggering the siren. Could someone w/ electrical experience please chime in. Thanks
Hey, ask Billmaster, I think he has his installed. He helped me out a lot. =]
      01-11-2007, 12:17 AM   #14
JoJoGunn
Private First Class
Rep

Good Luck and Don't be afraid to ask for help...
Anxiously awaiting resolution...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #15
335I_JB
President |||
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoGunn
...Anxiously awaiting resolution...
+1. Too bad I can't offer help.
      01-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #16
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsesxaznx
Hey, ask Billmaster, I think he has his installed. He helped me out a lot. =]
Hey, where did you have yours installed? In the headliner? I see your a fellow 415 fanatic too.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 05:51 PM   #17
JoJoGunn
Private First Class
Rep

Any Luck...
Give a few bucks to an Installer...
We "NEED" To Know...

I wonder if I can have performance center install one, hmm...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #18
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
Hey, where did you have yours installed? In the headliner? I see your a fellow 415 fanatic too.
Just got back from the dealer with the car. Took them about 5 hours...did a excellent job. I got mine from BMWSF...tota was 540...10% off cuz the guy was coo
      01-11-2007, 06:59 PM   #19
ironic
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just got back from the dealer with the car. Took them about 5 hours...did a excellent job. I got mine from BMWSF...tota was 540...10% off cuz the guy was coo
$540 for the alarm right? How much for installing the shock sensor? Where did they install the shock sensor? I hope we're talking about the same thing

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #20
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Maybe I'm waiting for an alarm that will call my cellphone, email to me, and send an instant message when my alarm sounds off.
      01-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #21
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottwww
Maybe I'm waiting for an alarm that will call my cellphone, email to me, and send an instant message when my alarm sounds off.
They already have those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2007, 09:47 PM   #22
JoJoGunn
Private First Class
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
My IQ Just took a dive from 165 to 125...WTF

5 hours for an alarm install...wtf
Appreciate 0