07-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: iX3

X1 delay in Australia?

Hi,
I ordered my X1 23d in April and was originally informed delivery would be around July. Now I have been informed it will be delayed until late Sep/early Oct due to the volcanic ash! Has anyone else also experienced the same delay?
Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #2
boxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1

Hi Lindam
Thats odd because I ordered an X1 20d in mid May (after you) and my due date is first week of Sep (earlier than your due date).
Not heard of the volcanic ash causing any delays just yet but there was a post in another thread that mentioned that production stops in August annually, which attributed to the delays in this already popular vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:03 AM   #3
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Thanks Boxx. That's interesting. I'm not sure why my production is in July, when I ordered it 3 months earlier. Which dealer did you order from?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
boxx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Very unusual; something seems awry there. So did you order in April and they told you it would begin production in July??
I actually went through a broker and they are getting it from BMW in Geelong. Please don't tell me you got it from there!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #5
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

When I ordered in April they said it would be available in July. I found out a couple of weeks ago that it would be delayed. I also ordered through a broker and they are getting it from BMW in Wollongong. I think I might call BMW head office tomorrow to find out what the story is. Not impressed.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Hi guys, I just want to put in my 2 cents here. I have ordered my X1 sdrive20d in mid April and been told my car will arrive end of August. I have rechecked early this week and once again they confirmed it will be here end of August, so it looks like there is no delay.

I used a broker as well and when I went to visit the dealer in Brighton he said the broker is a long time client and their orders always get priority.

lindam I think you might have been jerked around by the dealer - either he has not put your order into the system and put it into a build slot as soon as you made your order or he has swapped you out for someone else into that build slot. If you tell him you are cancelling the order he might give you a different answer. Blaming the delay on volcano ash just sounds daft but who knows what these dealers can come up with?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

So I've been given the runaround I think. The dealer said he placed the order April/May, and he said it's then up to BMW to place the order with Germany. Anyway, I'm not getting the car any sooner, so it's most frustrating. Can I ask which brokers you used?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

What I was told as soon as I placed the order through PrivateFleet in mid April was that my build slot has been reserved. I know for a fact that my order was in the system by late April because I went to the dealer to double check that he got all my options correct and he literally showed me the computer screen. So if your car was ordered a month later than mine i.e. May then a delivery time of late Sept sounded about right.

Having said thatif I wouldn't be happy with the dealer. He was happy to tell you a delivery date that could be out by as much as three months when he has no control over the final ordering process?

Last edited by jctg; 07-14-2010 at 11:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 02:05 AM   #9
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

That sounds familiar about the build slot. I think I was told that when I placed my order in EARLY April, before the official release date of the 11th even. I spoke to the dealer and apparently some dealers get higher priority if they buy more cars per month. Whether this is true or not I don't know? I should have checked that my order was in the system but being BMW I assumed service would be up to scratch. Maybe not?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #10
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well the priority thing could well be true. I know my order got well looked after because of the broker I used and the fact that it was part of a 7 car purchase.

There are always going to be good people and not so good people in all areas. Possibly the best might be BMW Melbourne as they are owned by BMW Australia. But then again they would not concede any on price when I specced the X1.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Um, I was told by Private Fleet that I was part of a 7 car purchase as well!!! Coincidence, or a ploy to get me to do the deal?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #12
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Oh, and apparently there are only 2 red X1's in the BMW system, mine and one other. Has anyone else ordered a red one?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #13
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Not sure if it was a ploy. Our two cars might have well been part of the same "batch". I was told from the beginning that the dealer was in NSW. But somehow when the contract came through the dealer was listed as a Victorian one. Not sure what took place but I was happy with the price.

Mine is white.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 02:28 AM   #14
Micks_Syd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Guys i bought an X1 just this month from BMW Sydney. Car i bought is in transit and i will get it in mid august......factory order would have arrived in October.

I tried getting some quotes from PrivateFleet but they were too pushy and i later found out that they only deal with a couple of dealers (1 in NSW) and usually just make up quotes by putting in incorrect pricing for items and by being creative with quote structure. That's what they did with my quote.
I was also told that they happily promise you a made up delivery date in order for you to sign up and come that day they tell you "oh it got delayed". Given that you have already signed up, not much you can do.

I would seriously recommend everyone to deal with dealers rather then shonky brokers.

BTW, i did get a nice discount from the dealer but had to bargain hard!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 04:32 AM   #15
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Indeed, not much I can do about it now. I did get a price that was much better than the dealer was willing to give. From memory, the dealer was only going to discount the car by $500, and even overcharged stamp duty in their dodgy excel spreadsheet!
Next time, I will get a clause added to the contract that says I will pay a certain price only if the car is delivered when promised, otherwise the price goes down!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #16
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quite interesting comments there Micks Syd. My dealing with PF so far has been good though I will reserve final judgement until I take delivery.

Having said that I find it hard to believe anyone would think dealers are anything less than shonky and dodgy themselves. Plenty of them put up unrealistic delivery dates to get a signature. I look for two things from buying a car - the cheapest price and a realistic delivery date. There was no way on earth I could have gotten the 4.5k discount I got from a dealer directly. I know because I checked with a couple of dealers before trying PF. I couldn't care less whom or how many they deal with what i care is whether i can get that price on my own? No broker in any field would scout every single possible supplier, not insurance brokers, not finance brokers, and certainly not car brokers. You can deal with more than one of them and see who comes up best.

I will have to wait and see about delivery but I asked for a specific date much later than when the car would arrive anyway. I may now take the car when it becomes available.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:22 AM   #17
nagelixin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Mine has been delayed too. It should of been arriving now (July), then August and now September.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 03:33 AM   #18
lxl
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Nagelixin, who did you buy your X1 from?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #19
nagelixin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindam View Post
Nagelixin, who did you buy your X1 from?
Direct from a BMW dealership in Brisbane. I am pretty annoyed. 3 months is now 5 months.

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 06:55 AM   #20
nagelixin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Can someone also confirm if the xenon headlight washers are standard in Australia? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #21
gundie2
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d

Hi nagelixin,

If you ordered the Xenon headlights the headlights washers come as part of the package.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2010, 09:20 PM   #22
Micks_Syd
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctg View Post
Quite interesting comments there Micks Syd. My dealing with PF so far has been good though I will reserve final judgement until I take delivery.

Having said that I find it hard to believe anyone would think dealers are anything less than shonky and dodgy themselves. Plenty of them put up unrealistic delivery dates to get a signature. I look for two things from buying a car - the cheapest price and a realistic delivery date. There was no way on earth I could have gotten the 4.5k discount I got from a dealer directly. I know because I checked with a couple of dealers before trying PF. I couldn't care less whom or how many they deal with what i care is whether i can get that price on my own? No broker in any field would scout every single possible supplier, not insurance brokers, not finance brokers, and certainly not car brokers. You can deal with more than one of them and see who comes up best.

I will have to wait and see about delivery but I asked for a specific date much later than when the car would arrive anyway. I may now take the car when it becomes available.
I would be really curious to have a look at your PF quote coz as i said they were very creative with mine.

BMW Sydney is BMW owned so i felt a lot more comfortable dealing with them but you are right about the dealers as well, you can never really trust them. Also, they did give me a discount close to what you got from PF and some other sweeteners so that also helped me with my decision.
Appreciate 0