E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e92 Praised in Wall Street Journal today

12-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #1
Shawn_speed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6Sp.

e92 Praised in Wall Street Journal today

BMW Recharges a Favorite
This is pretty much what Jeff Sabatini said in WSJ of December 22, 2006; Page W11C
Ask anyone who makes a living reviewing cars to choose a daily driver, and chances are good that a BMW 3-Series will be their pick. For going on two decades, BMW's best-selling model has been a favorite of driving enthusiasts, taking up residence on Car and Driver magazine's "10 Best" list back in 1992 and remaining there ever since.
It's unsurprising, then, that the redesigned 2007 BMW 3-Series coupe sticks to the same basic recipe. But its exhilarating power, exceptional handling and classy sheet metal make it the best of its ilk since Bill Clinton lived on Pennsylvania Avenue. The new coupe plays to its core supporters as predictably as a presidential fund-raiser, yet some of its most notable changes hint at a new constituency: the import "tuner" crowd.
Yes, that would be those youthful drivers who think the only thing sweeter than a buzzing 4-inch exhaust tip is the sound of a chattering turbocharger, whose Honda Civics sport wings larger than a HondaJet airplane.
If the thought of these punks rolling along in Bimmers seems odd, consider that according to the Specialty Equipment Market Association, which represents makers of auto add-ons, the tuner crowd generated $5.04 billion in U.S. retail sales last year. Clearly, these kids merit their reputation for sinking every last bit of disposable income into their cars. But it's been over a decade since the tuner scene got its start in Southern California, so many of them are now well into their 30s and hold down jobs that pay more than delivering pizzas.
BMW may not admit to actively courting this market, but it can't pretend it isn't aware of the import tuners. No one in the car business underestimates them as style mavens or doubts their influence on automotive trends. (It wasn't an auto maker that decided that big, 18-inch wheels look cool.) And even if the Germans didn't hold a marketing clinic for tuners to ponder the direction of the new 3-Series coupe, the results speak for themselves.
Exhibit A is that the top-of-the-line 3-Series now has a turbocharged engine. Tuners like turbos because they can dramatically boost horsepower, and the 335i has not just one but two of them. They help launch the car like a weapon snapped from a catapult. The 3.0-liter in-line six-cylinder engine puts out an impressive 300 horsepower, but what's really amazing is its peak torque output of 300 pound-feet occurs when the engine is revving as low as 1,400 rpm. This makes for brutal acceleration at any speed, and rewards a medieval driving style in which every car on the road is fair game for passing.
For all its potential energy, however, the 3-Series coupe looks best standing still. The car has graceful lines and a skin that seems elegantly draped over its structure, the simplest and most stunning BMW design in years. The coupe's curves are more traditional than the controversial and cacophonous blend of convex and concave shapes that have come to be associated with Chris Bangle, BMW's oft-criticized design director. Parked next to a 3-Series sedan or wagon, the two-door version is even easier to appreciate. Long and sleek, the coupe appears to ride much lower to the ground than its misshapen siblings, an illusion that is helped by its optional 18-inch wheels and low-profile tires. The kids might call it "pre-slammed."
They should also appreciate what BMW calls the belt feeder, a pair of arms that automatically pop out from behind the front seats to push the seatbelts forward, in true Pimp My Ride fashion. This is a novel, if unnecessary, feature, however, and it grows tiring to have to wait for the belt to be delivered each time you hop in the car.
Warm and Inviting
But other new features on the 3-Series coupe represent actual advances, including what seems to be the quickest-shifting conventional automatic transmission extant. This new optional six-speed unit is available with de rigueur steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.
The interior in the 3-Series is warm and inviting, and puts the cold austerity of BMW's more expensive coupe, the $74,000 650i, to shame. BMW's infernal iDrive interface -- a multifunction knob and menu system for the radio, climate control and other accessories that many customers have found difficult to master -- is optional rather than standard, another major selling point.
Japanese manufacturers are going after the same market as BMW -- and would like to hold on to the tuner crowd if they move up to luxury brands. When the time comes to trade in that clapped-out Honda Prelude there are certainly some reasonable options, starting with Honda's Acura TSX and TL. Nissan took its own very strong shot at BMW with the 2007 Infiniti G35 sedan; a redesigned coupe version of the G will be arriving next year. Toyota has been trying to clone the 3-Series sedan itself for the past six years, through two generations of its Lexus IS. Even Toyota's Scion tC begs to be considered a half-price, imitation 3-Series coupe.
These are all good cars, but BMW's cachet comes in large part from the fact it offers no mainstream products to taint its bloodline. Younger car enthusiasts may be brash, but they're not ignorant. They know the 3-Series is authentic, and no matter how close the competition matches the BMW in performance or beats it on price, the Japanese are still the imitators.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 01:27 PM   #2
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

lawl @ wall of text
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
BMW06
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive35i

Quote:
They know the 3-Series is authentic, and no matter how close the competition matches the BMW in performance or beats it on price, the Japanese are still the imitators.
Well said..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #4
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
They know the 3-Series is authentic, and no matter how close the competition matches the BMW in performance or beats it on price, the Japanese are still the imitators.
ooh, that hurts
      12-22-2006, 03:18 PM   #5
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

In e-mailing back and forth with the author of the article, I found out he condemned iDrive (as in that "infernal iDrive") without having driven the iDrive version of the car. He even began to admit that iDrive might be a good way to beat the problem of too many buttons but then segues into "German car makers put too many gadgets" into the cars. As if the Japanese do not.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #6
Russellnyc
Razor sharp handling
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i 6MT

These people and their iDrive knee jerk thing...

2006 Lotus Elise Polar Blue/Red
2007 E92 335i Spacegrau/Coral/Al | ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/CA/PDC/NAV Broken in
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
SpiralOut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4lyfe
i absolutely LOVE i-drive!!!
Good to hear, cause I got an i-drive coming. I've never played with a BMW Nav unit, so hopefully I don't regret the decision. I have a friend with a 525 that has an i-drive without the nav portion and the i-drive is still kinda cool since it controls the stereo and other misc car settings, so I'm just hoping the nav will be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #8
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismithnc
Good to hear, cause I got an i-drive coming. I've never played with a BMW Nav unit, so hopefully I don't regret the decision. I have a friend with a 525 that has an i-drive without the nav portion and the i-drive is still kinda cool since it controls the stereo and other misc car settings, so I'm just hoping the nav will be worth it.
My sister can barely use a PC, but she loves the iDrive in her 2006 750iL. (BIG freaking car...especially for a woman who's about 5' 2"!)

I've had BMW navigation systems for over 10 years, and am looking forward to learning iDrive. (My cars have all been pre-iDrive.) A friend of mine sold BMWs for about a year. Her comment was that it takes about two hours to really learn to use it -- the magazine writers try it for 10 minutes and then just give up.

And yes, TEN years of BMW nav. I got one of the first cars BMW delivered in North America with nav. It was a 1997 528i, built in September or October of 1996 for the New England International Auto Show in early November. I negotiated the deal the weekend of Thanksgiving, 1996. I was part of a study in 1997 (I think) where they interviewed me and videotaped me using the nav in my car. I wonder if any of iDrive is my fault.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
BenMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2007 330i coupe  [0.00]
2002 325ci  [0.00]
Love the article thanks for posting cant wait to get a real copy of it.

Johnathan thanks for letting him know I drive isn't junk. I love i drive I think it wors perfectly. My step dad who just got an i drive car hates it says it never works right and all this.. drove his car this past week it works perfectly...hmm?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #10
Shawn_speed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i 6Sp.

Interesting where posts go. When I read the article, I was floored at the angle he had taken with the car's turbo's and the tuner's market. I thought that would lit a fire here. How many posts have we had about the tuneability of this car and all the hidden potential here? He makes a very good point about the demographics of older tuners and the possibility that BMW is going after them.

Another thread today talked about how BMW has fallen in initial quality surveys. It turns out they don't just keep track of real problems, they count perceived ones as well. They call it "engineering or design" flaws. Another words, when aunt fanny complains about the idrive controller not filing her nails properly, that is a negative in the initial quality survey. On the other hand a KIA with controls from the eighties comes on top because even Fido could operate it.

Let the iDrive comments go. I didn't threaten the author's mother or anything even though he is brutal on the design of the sedans.

Shawn
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #11
Fester
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Porsche 911 (991) 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars4lyfe
i absolutely LOVE i-drive!!!
+1
      12-22-2006, 11:58 PM   #12
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMW

Jonathan thanks for letting him know I drive isn't junk. I love i drive I think it wors perfectly. My step dad who just got an i drive car hates it says it never works right and all this.. drove his car this past week it works perfectly...hmm?
I'm curious, though - why does he hate it? See if you can watch him use it. It would be interesting.

After a few e-mails back and forth with the author, I think he is just wary of feature creep (he complained about the Mercedes back massager) and - of course - there are those who want their cars austere. Personally, I like the tech stuff and I don't find it gets in the way of Freude am Fahren. (Read my article Geekfreude am Fahren in the December Roundel for a really in-depth look at this.)

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member