07-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

X1 2011MY Changes for the UK

OK, Here are the changes as I have them for the 2011MY (from week35) in the UK:

1. XDrive 2.3d - The auto box as standard as been dropped and the price goes down by £1510.

2. Paddle shifts also now included with the auto box option (205) on both S- and XDrive 2.0d models.

3. Paint Tasman (A81) has been dropped

4. New Mineral White Metallic (A96) an option.

5. Rear-view mirrow with digital compass (4NA) has been dropped.

6. New option Steering-Wheel heating (248)

7. New Blootooth hands-free option (6NN) - don't have the deatil on this one

8. Comfort Package (ZXD) in the UK now includes cruise control with brake function, price goes up £150.

Please note that these changes are for the UK, there will probably be minor differences for other countries.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
boxx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1

Hey mario486
Thanks for that update. Any ideas if there will be any exterior styling changes (e.g. slightly altered taillights in terms of design)? Excuse my ignorance here; I'll admit I've only recently become more interested/engrossed in BMW/X1s, and am unsure what usually happens with mid model design upgrades/changes
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 1.8d sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
7. New Blootooth hands-free option (6NN) - don't have the deatil on this one
AFAIK BT for the _radio_ prof. So hands free telephony without sat-nav is now possible
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxx View Post
Hey mario486
Thanks for that update. Any ideas if there will be any exterior styling changes (e.g. slightly altered taillights in terms of design)? Excuse my ignorance here; I'll admit I've only recently become more interested/engrossed in BMW/X1s, and am unsure what usually happens with mid model design upgrades/changes
Sorry, I have no futher details about trim changes and as far as I know there are no exterior changes. I suspect that if there are any changes inside (eg better trim) we won't know about these until one leaves the factory.

PS: The X1 is still too new for a facelift, only a year old, so only small tweaks for the new model year.

Last edited by mario486; 07-06-2010 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Update:
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #5
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
AFAIK BT for the _radio_ prof. So hands free telephony without sat-nav is now possible
Hi Dark-Sider, Bluetooth without Sat-Nav was possible before in the UK with option 644. This option included the cradle preparation in the armrest, outside aerial, buttons on the steering wheel but display on the radio.

Option 633 which includes telematics required the Sat-Nav.

This is a new option 6NN which is the same as option 644 but does not include the cradle preparation. As a result it costs half the price. Only thing I am not clear on is whether it still has the outside aerial.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
twentyten
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3

mario486,

Where did you get the info?, I've googled it be come up with nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Only thing I am not clear on is whether it still has the outside aerial.
There is no need for an external antenna when the phone is connected by bluetooth via HFP without sitting in a cradle.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 02:11 PM   #8
senwar
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 x20drive

Thanks for this info. Not that worried that mine is MY10 now. Only change for me above would be the Bluetooth as I ordered option 644 and would have just needed the new 6NN.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyten View Post
mario486,

Where did you get the info?, I've googled it be come up with nothing.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Its an BMW internal communiqué dated 29 June 2010. Your local dealer will have a copy but it says nothing more that what I have summarised above.

Hi Dark-Sider,

As I understand it the external aerial gives you better reception over that which you can get from a phone inside the car. Probably not important for most but the reception in the Highlands can be touch-and-go so important to me from a safety point of view. Or I can just use the 4x4 and drive to the top of a mountain (or Ben here)

Hi Senwar,

Yep, very little change. IMO the biggest change is the standard auto dropped on the 2.3d.

Last edited by mario486; 07-06-2010 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Dark-Sider
X1 driver
Germany
Rep

Quote:
As I understand it the external aerial gives you better reception over that which you can get from a phone inside the car. Probably not important for most but the reception in the Highlands can be touch-and-go so important to me from a safety point of view. Or I can just use the 4x4 and drive to the top of a mountain (or Ben here)
The external antenna is only active when the phone is docked in the snap in adapter. There exist tow types of phones:
a) Older phones like Siemens or Nokia (like 6310) which have an antenna connector. Those phones are connected by "wire" directly thru the snap-in to the external antenna.

b) Newer phones (iPhone, HTC, newer Nokias...) don't have an antenna connector. They only get power, voice and remote-control thru their connection pins. To give those phones also the benefit of the external antenna the corresponding snap-in adapters have an inductive coupling. This is better than nothing but inferior to the SAP-Snap-In or those older phones snap-in adapters.

bye
Darky
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2010, 04:02 AM   #11
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Sider View Post
The external antenna is only active when the phone is docked in the snap in adapter. There exist tow types of phones:
a) Older phones like Siemens or Nokia (like 6310) which have an antenna connector. Those phones are connected by "wire" directly thru the snap-in to the external antenna.

b) Newer phones (iPhone, HTC, newer Nokias...) don't have an antenna connector. They only get power, voice and remote-control thru their connection pins. To give those phones also the benefit of the external antenna the corresponding snap-in adapters have an inductive coupling. This is better than nothing but inferior to the SAP-Snap-In or those older phones snap-in adapters.

bye
Darky
Thanks for the info Darky, I was not aware that there are two types of aerial connections. I have left it at the 644 option but have asked my dealer to confirm whether there is an external aerial or not for option 6NN. Might just get one of the older phones and leave it in the car permanently.

New Update : Just for the record I have now had it confirmed that the new Bluetooth option 6NN does not include the external aerial. I have left mine on the old option 644.

Last edited by mario486; 07-08-2010 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: New Update
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #12
iguassu
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 20d Sp

Bluetooth phone works fine in my X1 20d Sport Special. Just specify the BT prep and use a Bluetooth phone. It pairs immediately. The cradles/snap-in adapters are pretty useless unless you use a steam-driven old phone. Cannot find anyone who makes aftermarket adapters so am going to make my own for Nokia E90. Should not be too complex.
Induction antenna will just be a PCB with an etched helix in the copper track - worked fine in my last X5.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #13
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep GC Overland

Other market MY2011 changes

So they have also changed the steering wheel paddles. They are now pull only... on the right to change up and left to change down, like most every other car out there. They have also made them smaller so while you dont accidentally press them, they are also a bit annoying to reach.

Im on my second X1 and it may be my imagination but they seem to have made the seats far softer with more foam. The suspension tune also seems far softer... possibly for the soft-centric american market?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #14
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedsheet View Post
So they have also changed the steering wheel paddles. They are now pull only... on the right to change up and left to change down, like most every other car out there. They have also made them smaller so while you dont accidentally press them, they are also a bit annoying to reach.

Im on my second X1 and it may be my imagination but they seem to have made the seats far softer with more foam. The suspension tune also seems far softer... possibly for the soft-centric american market?
My MY11 X1 2.0d Auto did not come with the paddles as I thought it would. Not sure why but I will find out.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

Paddles are optional - I didn't chose them for my X1 23d. Might be fun for a few occasional fun rides, but annoying (IMHO) as hell 99% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #16
frayedsheet
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 Jeep GC Overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknik View Post
Paddles are optional - I didn't chose them for my X1 23d. Might be fun for a few occasional fun rides, but annoying (IMHO) as hell 99% of the time.
They are standard here. I actually find them useful... as intelligent as auto boxes have become, they still arent always in the right gear. LIke most boxes, the X1 hangs onto gears too long, which goes against the relaxed nature of a diesel. A quick tap of the right paddle and its all fixed. Gearbox reverts back to full auto after a short period of time.
Appreciate 0