Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel Locks

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
mbhforum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi Sedan

Wheel Locks

I was getting my rims repaired and I realized one of the wheel locks in the plastic package is missing. I assume they forgot to give it back to me. My question is this...are the 2 wheel locks identical? Or do I have to really track down the lost one or get another one made up? In the plastic wheel lock package that came with my car, there were 2 wheel locks. I have a 2010 E90.
2010 Monaco Blue 328xi Sedan - Dark Burl Wood Trim - Dakota Beige Leather - Steptronic - ZVP - ZSP - ZPP - Nav - Sat - PDC - Comfort Access - Heated Steering Wheel and Seats - Mods: 35% Tints - Sylvania Superstar Ultra H7's - Lux 5.0 Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

My car came with a lock on each wheel and a key in the trunk tool kit.

If you have the BMW key and bolts you can get a replacement from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
mbhforum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Damn, not the answer I was hoping for. Any idea how much it costs?
2010 Monaco Blue 328xi Sedan - Dark Burl Wood Trim - Dakota Beige Leather - Steptronic - ZVP - ZSP - ZPP - Nav - Sat - PDC - Comfort Access - Heated Steering Wheel and Seats - Mods: 35% Tints - Sylvania Superstar Ultra H7's - Lux 5.0 Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhforum View Post
Not sure, hit up the tischer site and check it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Whats the point of wheel locks? They only create headaches like these.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Whats the point of wheel locks? They only create headaches like these.
Deters your average thief from stealing your wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
SGitchev
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 328i Sport Pckg.

Wheel locks, perhaps the cheapest way of having a peace of mind that your wheels would be on your car every time you return to it.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGitchev View Post
Wheel locks, perhaps the cheapest way of having a peace of mind that your wheels would be on your car every time you return to it.
You're kidding, right?

The cheapest way is to be aware of where you park. Aside from that, any halfway good criminal can remove the wheel lock in minutes - probably in less time than it takes you to find the key in your glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
SGitchev
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 328i Sport Pckg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
You're kidding, right?

The cheapest way is to be aware of where you park. Aside from that, any halfway good criminal can remove the wheel lock in minutes - probably in less time than it takes you to find the key in your glovebox.
I don`t mean to argue, however a criminal looking for a good and expensive product to steal, would probably look for it at a place where people like your self assume it`s safe. Also a criminal would look for the most efficient way to complete it`s task. Wheel locks are meant to do just that, make it a hassle for those criminals and have them move on just to the guy who assumed it`s safe.
Criminals so good and experienced (remove my wheel locks in seconds as you stated) would go after my car, not the wheels. Probably not even a E92, but perhaps something of better value.

No dissrespect meant to your previos statement.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
chuckee98
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: = )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhforum View Post
Give McGard a call. The enhanced (puzzle) locks are made by McGard. I'm not sure about the standard locks, however. When I went to get a spare key from the dealer, the parts guy told me to call McGard because they were the supplier, and that it would be cheaper to get it direct from them. He said that if I still wanted him to order it, all he would be doing is calling McGard and charging me a premium to do so. Gave me a form with the McGard phone number and sent me on my way. When you call, you need to give them the info on the card that came with the wheel lock set.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

Like the alarm system (and particularly the flashing clown nose and alarm sticker), I think the locks are useful to discourage amateurs like crack addicts and kids.

A professional thief will not only know how to remove the locks, he will flatbed your car and have it in pieces before you can finish your dinner.
E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #12
mbhforum
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just tested my one remaining wheel lock on all 4 of my wheels and it's a fit. Didn't actually remove the rims b/c I didn't have the tool handy. So I guess they give you a spare wheel lock. The place I went to (Al's Hubcaps in Mineola, NY) lost my other one. I am annoyed b/c they did a good job fixing my scuffed rims, but are very unorganized.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 01:56 PM   #13
MMachines
BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2006 4Runner

My CPO car came with two identical keys, never really understood why but I'll accept it.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

Exactly. Do you people have insurance?....and quit calling them RIMS.......they are called WHEELS.
Appreciate 0