ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-22-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Z4MHawk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Roadster

OEM Rims and Maximum Brake caliper size?

What is the maximum aftermarket brake caliper size that I can run on the 2006 Z4M OEM rims (fit)? I have ordered a set of aftermarket track rims but would like the option to switch back-n-forth. It appears the 14" or 13" "big brake" packages in Brembo's or StopTech's will not fly according to Vivid racing.

The OEM brakes are well desgined and with better pads may be the solution most of you are running. I just want more pad surface and better heat distribution.
      06-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #2
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

unless your tracking very often, i don't see the justification in spending so much money on BBK's. you'd be surprised how much braided lines, different brake fluid and pads will go. If that still fails you then and only then would i suggest something like a BBK. i've only run for 25-ish minute track stints in the mcouper and have not had issues with any major fade with the above changes.

note: you can fully open up the brake ducts on the MC for better cooling with a dremel. a lot of the local bmwcca MC owners recommended it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansaysso View Post
note: you can fully open up the brake ducts on the MC for better cooling with a dremel. a lot of the local bmwcca MC owners recommended it.
I always wondered why the duct was half blocked off with a riveted piece of plastic. I feel like that has gotta be a conscious design choice vs. a fully open duct...
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Don't need a dremel. Just pull the plastic flap off. The plastic rivets will just break off.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ only to clean up the tabs that remain.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
hansaysso
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC, 93 RX7 FD3S

^ correct, sorry should have described it a little better

forgot to add, tires are everything. best braking system in the world isn't worth jack if your tires are horrible.
lastly, you have to wonder if bmw made the half covered brake ducts so easily "fixed" for a reason...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
Z4MHawk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Roadster

Anyone have A picture of one of these half covered brake lines and the plastic rivet?

I agree with the brake upgrade assessment. I will convert to steel braided lines, better fluid, and brake pads.

Thanks!
      06-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantacookie! View Post
Anyone have A picture of one of these half covered brake lines and the plastic rivet?
I agree with the brake upgrade assessment. I will convert to steel braided lines, better fluid, and brake pads.
Thanks!
You don't need a picture; just crank your steering hard left or right and take a peek at the lower front of the fender liner. You'll see the plastic panel that obstructs the ducting. Take a pair of pliers and give it a good hard pull and it should pop right off. If you're anal you can trim off the rough edges with a Dremel or box knife. Removing your front wheels makes the job a whole lot easier.
If you're not racing the car then SS brake lines are unnecessary bling. High temperature brake fluid like Ate Typ200 or Motul 660 and some competition brake pads like PF-01 along with R-compound tires like Toyo R888 or Nitto NT-01 is all you need for HPDS events. Of course I'm assuming you've got a lot of seat time and know how to get the most out of the car in stock trim.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
silversprint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
I always wondered why the duct was half blocked off with a riveted piece of plastic. I feel like that has gotta be a conscious design choice vs. a fully open duct...
I also assumed that the duct was for brake cooling until last year.

I met a BMW mechanic last year that was working on the new 3-series. They were putting the same duct on that car. He told me that forcing a small amount of air in the proper direction into the wheel housing will keep air from coming in from outside the wheels causing turbulence at high speed. The duct has a aerodynamic function. It has very limited if any brake cooling effect because it blows almost completely over the tire.

The flap was added during test to bring the correct amount of air over the wheels to produce the desired aerodynamic effect.
Appreciate 0