E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > interior of my car gets hot!

06-18-2010, 01:13 AM   #1
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

interior of my car gets hot!

I put about 140 miles on my 335is in 24 hours just driving around town and such and twice the interior of the car got pretty warm. Last night driving back to LA over about 70 miles in normal 7th gear cruising at night. Then tonight while driving a bit more spiritedly on surface streets.
The oil temp gauge stays just center or center left so that seems fine, however a lot of heat from the engine bay seems to seep into the car. Is this normal? Particularly the lower steering column area gets pretty warm as does the footwell. Is it normal for this much heat to dissipate through the firewall and into the cabin? Also, I have heated seats, but when I start feeling the heat, the seat gets pretty warm too despite the seat heaters not being on. It's not like I emit that much body heat haha.

I've been following break in and didn't pass 100 mph and also keep it under 4.5k rpm, though I do floor it to 4.5 and upshift.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

My car gets the same way. These cars are just hermetically sealed and little or no air gets in and out. Your temperature gauge sounds like it is right where it should be. I usually just crack open the moonroof, or leave the air conditioning very low. Or you can use the air recirculation feature to bring cold air from outside, in. I'm a big guy (280lbs) and I think I just use more air than others!

"Look, we are all reasonable men here. We don't have to give assurances as if we were lawyers." (Godfather: Part II)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #3
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

I should have searched. Found this thread http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=cabin+heat

Bunch of people confirming. As long as it's not a long term problem or something that needs to be fixed, I guess I can live with it. This car is a beast but it gets beastly hot. I remember some guy just days ago posted about his fender getting real hot right near the headlights. Mine get pretty hot also as does the entire engine hood even at night. I've even got the doubled up oil and water coolers and the stronger fan and it still gets hot as if I am driving in 4th gear on the freeway for hours like that one dude here.

The hot seat tripped me out though because underneath the seat the air felt cool and the carpet under the seat was also normal...however the seat surface got so hot and I know it has nothing to do with my own body temp. Not looking forward to long drives in the summer now haha. black inside and out with sweet ass engine heat pumping into the cabin. jeez.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 01:52 AM   #4
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Hmm. I thought I was crazy but I guess not. I just got my car last month and it's only a 335i. Since your car has the same engine but higher output, I can only imagine the burning you're going through!

Pro-tip: Don't touch your fenders after a long trip. I learned this the hard way -___-
Appreciate 0