E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Turn of passanger airbag?

06-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Norb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

Question Turn of passanger airbag?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering, how to I turn the passanger airbag off? I dont have anything on the side of the passanger dashboard where I heard there is a key slot for this. But I do have a PASSANGER AIRBAG TURNED OFF symbol in fron of the rear view mirror. And I do have isofix rear seats.

Any clue, possible to turn it of by myself?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #2
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

If the light's on, that means the airbag is off. If the car senses there's no one in the seat, it turns the airbag off and lights the lamp to let you know it has done this. I didn't know there was a key slot for it anywhere. I've only heard about that in trucks or other vehicles where a child seat can't fit in the back. That may just be a US thing though.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
Norb
Private First Class
Rep

Oh so the light is ON when there is no one in the seat, I will have to check that out next time. Yeah there is a keyslot to turn the airbag of permanently, check the attached picture.

So there is no way to have a child in the front passanger seat and have the airbag off, I guess the sensor feels there is a childseat there or am I wrong?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norb View Post
Oh so the light is ON when there is no one in the seat, I will have to check that out next time. Yeah there is a keyslot to turn the airbag of permanently, check the attached picture.

So there is no way to have a child in the front passanger seat and have the airbag off, I guess the sensor feels there is a childseat there or am I wrong?
If that key does indeed override the sensor, then I'd imagine you could put a child seat up there and not have the airbag armed. The weight of a child seat and a child would definitely be enough to arm the airbag unless you could override the system, which is what I would assume that switch does.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Norb
Private First Class
Rep

Okey so without the switch there is not possible to override the sensor. That sucks, this option only cost $100 when you purchase the car, but to get that override key ignition installed it costs $1500!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

If the "airbag off" light is on, it means there is a child in the seat and the airbag is off.

If there is a full sized person in the seat, the airbag is on.

If there is nobody in the seat, the airbag is OFF, but the "airbag off" light does NOT come on.

This is all in the owner's manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
If the "airbag off" light is on, it means there is a child in the seat and the airbag is off.

If there is nobody in the seat, the airbag is OFF, but the "airbag off" light does NOT come on.

Maybe I should get mine looked at then.

My work bag sets off the sensor. And my workbag does not weigh a whole lot.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Norb
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post

Good to know, will try this out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norb View Post

Um...Turn the switch in the picture to "OFF" permanently disables the front passenger airbag SPECIFICALLY for child seat purposes. Am I missing something here?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Um...Turn the switch in the picture to "OFF" permanently disables the front passenger airbag SPECIFICALLY for child seat purposes. Am I missing something here?
He doesn't have the switch, and it would cost him $1500 to have it put in.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

the OP is from Poland, and it appears that the airbag override switch is an option there. You might be able to pull a fuse somewhere to disable the airbag system, but definitely check your owner's manual before attempting anything like that.
Appreciate 0