E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Getting screwed by dealer, need help

06-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

Getting screwed by dealer, need help

Will be quick since I am posting from phone.........

In april bought cpo 335i. Car had internal scratches and cigarret burn on roof lining. Called bmw of america and complained, was told that its ok and there is nothing they or a dealer can do, so I let it go....

As it turns out its not ok, and purchasing dealer said that they could have fixed the car but its too late now since I purchased the car back in april....

Now I have a record of calling bmw of america about this issue on 28th of April which is only a week from purchasing date...... And now the purchasing dealer told me that I did all the damage myself with in that week which is obviously rediculous.......i traded in my audi which was 1 year old and was in much better condition then my 335 and they are telling me that I caused all this damage in 1 week.

What do you recommend I do ? Bmw of america advised to file a complaint on dealer if they fail to resolve the issue ? Should I let the dealer know about this or this complaint is really nothing more then stupid notes in bmw computer or something........

Ps. I didn't bother dealer at the time of purchase because I really liked the car and thought that this can be taken care of through the warranty later.......i know stupid me.....
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #2
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

Caught

Your caught between a Rock and a Hard Place I'm afraid, ,

, I would definitely file a complaint though , , ,

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #3
Baldur Abendroth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the economy, SG e92 335i MT

I have read similar threads on here where the general consenses was that bothering BMWNA reapededly and making a big fuss will make them come around and fix your stuff usually.
      06-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Scratches and cigarette burns are clearly NOT warranty. What possessed you to accept a car in such shape without pointing out these issues prior to taking delivery of the car?

Oh yeah - you were so excited to buy the car that you didn't look at it closely.

Nothing really to complain about - it is your own fault that you waited several months.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
noro
Colonel
Armenia
Rep
Drives: '91 M3, '04 E46 ZHP, '72 2002

Sorry but I think this is a typical case of buyers remorse. You saw the scratches right? You saw the cigarette burn right? You "thought" it's covered under warranty right? All i hear is you've made a mistake but you want somebody else to pay for it.

If I was the dealer I would tell you to go screw yourself. Sorry man, honesty is all you gonna get from me.
      06-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Scratches and cigarette burns are clearly NOT warranty. What possessed you to accept a car in such shape without pointing out these issues prior to taking delivery of the car?

Oh yeah - you were so excited to buy the car that you didn't look at it closely.

Nothing really to complain about - it is your own fault that you waited several months.
Read the post. I complained 1 week after I purchased. And at the time of purchase I thought warranty can take care of me. I have both factory and cpo warranties.

Called boa 3 times....they said they can't do anything since they have nothing to do with certification process.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:29 PM   #7
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
Sorry but I think this is a typical case of buyers remorse. You saw the scratches right? You saw the cigarette burn right? You "thought" it's covered under warranty right? All i hear is you've made a mistake but you want somebody else to pay for it.

If I was the dealer I would tell you to go screw yourself. Sorry man, honesty is all you gonna get from me.
This is true, but as it turns out the car was wrongfully certified and shouldn't dealer be responsible..........instead of telling me that I did all damage myself in ONE week
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
blacknbean
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

you never mentioned the stuff wrong at the time of purchase to the dealer? i bought a CPO and had the dealer replace everything I thought wasnt in like-new condition. they had everything replaced by the time i went to pick it up to drive home
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
Read the post. I complained 1 week after I purchased. And at the time of purchase I thought warranty can take care of me. I have both factory and cpo warranties.

Called boa 3 times....they said they can't do anything since they have nothing to do with certification process.
Realistically, a week is too late. Had you called the dealer the same day or the next, then you might have a complaint, but calling BMWNA a week later is a bit of a weak excuse. Why would you think that the warranty would cover this? Why not call the dealer?

Given that you've waited several months now, it appears that these issues really aren't important. Next time look at a car carefully before you buy it and ask the dealer to correct those issues BEFORE you take delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #10
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
This is true, but as it turns out the car was wrongfully certified and shouldn't dealer be responsible..........instead of telling me that I did all damage myself in ONE week
Minor interior scratches don't make a car "non-CPOable."

What else is going on?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #11
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknbean View Post
you never mentioned the stuff wrong at the time of purchase to the dealer? i bought a CPO and had the dealer replace everything I thought wasnt in like-new condition. they had everything replaced by the time i went to pick it up to drive home
I did the same. Sorry, but the OP's out of luck. What makes anyone think that scratches and cigarette burns are covered under warranty? Those are damages caused by the owner of the vehicle, not a failure thats covered under warranty. If you want issues taken care of you do it before you take possession of the vehicle, not a week after.

Also why exactly was the car wrongfully CPO'd? The more I read the posts, the more I think that Kolyan2K went in uninformed and inexperienced. No offense, but maybe next time take a checklist of things to ask and issues to discuss.
      06-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i, AP1

why the hell would cigarette burns or scratches be covered under warranty? you think bmw is responsible for how people smoke their cigarettes? would they also be responsible for coffee or ketchup stains?

cpo doesn't guarantee that the car is like-new in every regard. it's still a used car, it just has an extended (and more limited) warranty against failed parts, breakdown, etc... even repaired accident damage is allowed under cpo, i think.

this is not bmw's fault in any way. the dealer may fix it out of goodwill, but this is nobody's problem but your own. sorry.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Minor interior scratches don't make a car "non-CPOable."

What else is going on?
Dealer told me that if those damages were on the car they would not be able to certify the car, and therefore they say I have done those damages myself, which is not true.

On April 29, again about a week from purchase, I did tell dealer about those issues and only now they let me know they don't want to cover me.

Dealer also said that the most they can do is try to fix the cigarret burn........not replace anything, just try to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by granadablanca View Post
why the hell would cigarette burns or scratches be covered under warranty? you think bmw is responsible for how people smoke their cigarettes? would they also be responsible for coffee or ketchup stains?

cpo doesn't guarantee that the car is like-new in every regard. it's still a used car, it just has an extended (and more limited) warranty against failed parts, breakdown, etc... even repaired accident damage is allowed under cpo, i think.

this is not bmw's fault in any way. the dealer may fix it out of goodwill, but this is nobody's problem but your own. sorry.
I don't think you read the thread. Dealer told me that car in this condition is not certifiable. The told me that I caused all the damage. This has nothing to do with any warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

You bought a car with proof of reckless smoking in it?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #16
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think you read the thread. Dealer told me that car in this condition is not certifiable. The told me that I caused all the damage. This has nothing to do with any warranty.
I read the thread. It does indeed have "to do with any warranty".

"Certify" = CPO = warranty = still not BMW's fault that an owner damaged something

Again the CPO WARRANTY doesn't CERTIFY or GUARANTEE the car is 100% like new.

Sorry the dealer said you did it, but most dealers are known for behaviors like this. If you saw it before you bought it and didn't like it, you should've addressed it before you bought it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 02:36 PM   #17
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

LOL... My '08 335 had some scratches on the leather, rear seat... But it wasn't a deal breaker for me... I saw it when I purchased the car, and didn't make a big deal out of it... when they CPO a car, it's mostly for mechanical, the best they'll do cosmetically is put some touch up paint to the areas affected, but that's it... I know you want your car to look perfect, but it's a CPO... not a brand new one...

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #18
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Thanks for you advices.........i guess I will not file a complaint then....

By the way, bmw commercials advertise cpo car as "new"
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #19
granadablanca
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Welcome to the world of marketing.

Folgers Coffee claims to be the "best part of waking up". Wonder if that's actually true.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #20
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

Quote:
I think the choice of word here may be an issue, I would use the word sales person told you they would fix this and that, of course, I never like or trusted car salesman, they will say or do anything to sell you the car, although they work for the dealership, unless everything they say is written on paper and signed with the deal of your car, it is really not the dealership's responsibility, its that low life scum back car salesman is lying to you. I would go back to the dealership and complains about the sales person as well. although not sure if it will go anywhere, since they already blamed you for the damages and on top of that they already made the sales, what do they care! sorry bro.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #21
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for you advices.........i guess I will not file a complaint then....

You probably should try to get it resolved - but you also need to recognize that it is primarily your fault - none of thse issues would prevent a car from being certified.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #22
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

I don't want to push the dealer because they offered to try to fix the burn. If you guys say that its my fault then I will just let them fic that at least
Appreciate 0