E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Friction point moved--is my clutch burned?

06-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

Friction point moved--is my clutch burned?

Hey all,

the other night I was out with a buddy engaging in some spirited driving....nothing too crazy, but there were a few WOT pulls, 0-60 kinda deals on a few desolate, straight, smooth roads.....

Anyhow, about 1 hour later, after the car was parked for a while, I noticed that when I started driving again, that my shifts, particularly into 1st and 2nd, were not very smooth. I figured my legs were just tired cause I had been driving around the whole day, and from the bit "extra" I had done recently....

But the next day, and every day since, I notice the same thing: It feels as though my friction point has moved.....the position where I would engage the throttle and get into gear is now closer (ie I have to let OFF the clutch pedal further back in order for it to engage). 1st and 2nd are most noticeable, third I can just barely feel it, and after that its fine....

Any thoughts? Did I burn my clutch from only a few WOT pulls? WTF, how sensitive are these things.....I wanted to track it this summer, but now I'm having second thoughts......

And before anyone says "take it to the dealer", I already have an appointment for next week. I just wanted to hear what you guys have to say....

Thanks all,

smartys
      06-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
you must drive the car hard. Are you always "0-60" type of driver? As you know, the more aggressive take-offs, the more that plate is going to wear down, and eventually your engagement point is going to shift or change. I've seen a guy with a 1 year old Mustang Gt with a broken clutch plate for the 3rd time!!!! too much spirited driving there. And I don't want anyone to give me that bullshit "AMERICAN JUNK". It's how a person drives the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

hmm....

I don't really drive the car all that hard all the time.....I mean, yes, occasionally I enjoy the power of this thing, but maybe once every few months, and only in the spring/summer months, I get into the mood of some WOT pulls from 0. My car only has 40k miles on it.....

Is this something that will be covered by the dealer (i'm still under warranty)?

thanks eatrach73, appreciate the quick answer....
      06-15-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

The friction point will move as the clutch wears. Is it actually slipping now or is it still grabbing fine?

How hard you are on the throttle has little to no effect on clutch wear as long as it's fully engaged. Clutch wear happens when you are slipping it. How were you launching for those runs?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
The friction point will move as the clutch wears. Is it actually slipping now or is it still grabbing fine?
Its grabbing alright, but i do have to "blend" it a bit in first and second.....
      06-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
well Dealers have a special measuring tool that they use to measure the clutch plate. You can try to take it in and just complain. But I need to warn you, if you have any aftermarket software tuning, your SA will be a dick. Because, according to them, that can hinder the longevity of the product. Trust me!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #7
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
well Dealers have a special measuring tool that they use to measure the clutch plate. You can try to take it in and just complain. But I need to warn you, if you have any aftermarket software tuning, your SA will be a dick. Because, according to them, that can hinder the longevity of the product. Trust me!
Lol, ya i know the dealers can be pricks....but i'm one of the guys on here flamed all the time for getting the Dinan software....and I just got the intake as well....

I was actually gonna dyno it tomo, but now that i'm having clutch issues, I think I'm going to have to delay that.....sheeeeit.....

thanks for the advice man, appreciate it....