E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Conflicted about my Jet Black car

06-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
hayabusa55
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan

Conflicted about my Jet Black car

I know, I know: "Nothing looks as good as a black car when properly cleaned."

It's such a hassle, though. Often, I see E90's in dark gray, blue, gold and the lines look so nice and the cars look clean even if they're not spotless.

With black, the lines and creases of the car are not as noticeable and keeping it clean is a bitch. In addition, I need to get some paint correction done that I can't afford to do right now.

The other thing that pisses me off is when I see older black cars on the road that didn't age well. It makes me worry about mine a few years down the road

Tell me I'm just being neurotic.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

You're being neurotic

Black cars are beautiful. You are going to have to keep her maintained, though. There is no question about that.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
EZ_TUR90
Ez tur90
Armenia
Rep
Drives: M6

Monoco Blue is equivalent to Jet Black. Both are horrible. I feel your pain bud, I switched up from a JB e90 hoping that the color difference would make my life a tad bit easier, it backfired. Monoco Blue is just as bad.

06-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
Vertigo//SD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive28i (temporarily)

I've owned four black cars and there's a reason my current car is silver.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
aront
n00b
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post

It's such a hassle, though. Often, I see E90's in dark gray, blue, gold and the lines look so nice and the cars look clean even if they're not spotless.

With black, the lines and creases of the car are not as noticeable and keeping it clean is a bitch. In addition, I need to get some paint correction done that I can't afford to do right now.

The other thing that pisses me off is when I see older black cars on the road that didn't age well. It makes me worry about mine a few years down the road

Not to be mean, but who buys a black car without expecting to wash it every weekend?

I have Montego blue and it looks great two weeks out except for the damn brake dust on the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

I had a E36 JB and then a ti sil E46. Let me tell ya....you'll miss black. I'm back in black. (sapphire lol).

There is just nothing more masculine than black for a guy and it also helps the already feminine looking coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

If you need to get some paint correction done, pick up a buffer and do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
skiernan36
stick to your guns
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 2012 Audi Q5 2.0T

i had a montego blue 328 and now have black sapphire 335. i loved the montego but i think the black looks so much better. i also enjoy cleaning my car and do so once a week. theres something relaxing about wiping it with a microfiber towel and seeing every inch of the car and really looking at the paint and lines. just beautiful
      06-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #9
MrDummy
→сяuisiиg iи му вмш←
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Gray 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:

Unfortunatly I am in the SAME situation as you, My car NEEDS paint correction BADLY right now and it looks decent as is, but when the sun hits it I see swirls, scratches, scuffs, etc...

And PLEASE dont get a buffer and try it yourself UNLESS you know what the heck you are doing, because more than likely you will cause More damage than you have now.

My car looks Sick on cloudy or partly sunny days, but not when its a clear sky, at least upclose.

I would keep black as I love the color, and save up for a reputable detail shop in your area or a small garage one that has a good rep. See autopia.org to help locate a close by detailer.

Also how is your interior? Mine the plastic over the wood is all scratched and scuffed up and looks like crap, so I need the interior detailed as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #10
ShowTime12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW M4

I love my black sapphire e90. I try to wash it ever weekend but I'll wash it at least every other weekend. I used to have a white car but its just no fun. You wash it and it just doesn't shine or look as wet after waxing or anything like a black car. I've even gone 4-5 weeks without washing my car once in winter and it didn't look that bad other than the brake dust build up.

Just buy a buffer and polish the car yourself twice a year. Once before summer and once before winter and you'll be fine.

One bad thing about black cars is that the dealer really knows how to mess up the paint when you take the car in for service and they give you courtesy wash. I have to tell them not to wash it now.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Baldur Abendroth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the economy, SG e92 335i MT

I had a black e90 before, I had to wash it every 3 or 4 days to maintain the look that my current spacegrey e92 has after 3 weeks. Such a bitch to maintain.
      06-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
JayReplay
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 6MT Sunroof Delete

I have a black sapphire e90 and love everything about it. It really doesnt bother me to have to wash it every week since you get so much joy in seeing how shiny and deep the black paint really is. The only thing that I dislike is being able to see all the little rock chips so easily when the sun is out.

2002 Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3 6MT
2017 White C63 AMG Coupe
2002 Oxford Green E46 M3 6MT - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
GoKimiGo!
Private
Rep
Drives: Safety Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack View Post
If you need to get some paint correction done, pick up a buffer and do it yourself.
With all due respect I wouldn't advise that at all if the owner does not have previous experience doing it.

I have seen cars badly damaged even by people that claim to know what they are doing. My dealership buffed my car before I picked it up and made the finish look worse than it was.

Taking it to a pro that knows what he is doing and cares about the final product is going to cost me a little bit of change but it is well worth it.

I went from silver to black and it sucks but when clean and maintained right black does look great.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

i hate having black (esp in FL), but i will admit it is SSSOOOO rewarding to clean minus seeing the light swirls i have.
      06-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #15
ShowTime12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKimiGo! View Post
With all due respect I wouldn't advise that at all if the owner does not have previous experience doing it.

I have seen cars badly damaged even by people that claim to know what they are doing.
The only way to get experience is by actually doing it yourself. As long as you don't start out with a rotary you should be fine if you just use common sense. I picked up a 7424 last year and thought it was really easy to polish my black car. Granted I wasn't trying to do 100% paint correction but I was still happy with the 80% or so paint correction.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #16
akack79
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 M3 ZCP

Quote:

On your next time maybe try getting a lighter color car. I will never own another dark color car again, too much hassle.
      06-09-2010, 12:03 PM   #17
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
listen man, I have a black Jetta. I work out of it. It gets dusty, dirty, and water splashes all over. Two things I use to keep it dust free and water spots clean: California duster, and Quick detail by Chemical guys. Some people might argue, and disagree with me but, the reality is I used the same method for over 10 years. My very first black car was an E36 M3. I did the same thing, but at the time I used Meguiare's Quick detail. On top of this, I polish and wax the car every 6 month; that is claying, polishing, more polishing, waxing and then sealing it. And then on a day to day basis, dusting and quick details. Every Saturday or Sunday the baby gets a bath . You have to keep in mind that nothing will last forever. You are challenging nature; do the best to protect it and keep it clean. I hope this help.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
hayabusa55
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTime12 View Post
Just buy a buffer and polish the car yourself twice a year. Once before summer and once before winter and you'll be fine.
I don't know about that. I just recently figured out how to properly wash and dry (that's the part that always got me) a car.

Quote:
One bad thing about black cars is that the dealer really knows how to mess up the paint when you take the car in for service and they give you courtesy wash. I have to tell them not to wash it now.
Actually, the last time I took it in and got the car back, the car appeared to be a bit deeper black. Either that or absence made the heart grow fonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKimiGo! View Post

I have seen cars badly damaged even by people that claim to know what they are doing. My dealership buffed my car before I picked it up and made the finish look worse than it was.
The car was pretty dirty in the dealer parking lot. At pickup it was clean, but you could see the buffing marks. You can still see it. That kills me.

Quote:
Taking it to a pro that knows what he is doing and cares about the final product is going to cost me a little bit of change but it is well worth it.
I have a minor problem here. A buddy of mine is doing detailing now, but I'm not sure how experienced he is with that kind of stuff. His car looks great, plus I know he's detailed some Ferraris and stuff, but he just started. I don't want to deny him the business, but at the same time, I really want this done 100% right. Dilemma.

Quote:
I went from silver to black and it sucks but when clean and maintained right black does look great.
My E46 was silver. Loved the car, but I thought the color was a bit too light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akack79 View Post
On your next time maybe try getting a lighter color car. I will never own another dark color car again, too much hassle.
See above. Maybe metallic paint would have been a bit forgiving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
listen man, I have a black Jetta. I work out of it. It gets dusty, dirty, and water splashes all over. Two things I use to keep it dust free and water spots clean: California duster, and Quick detail by Chemical guys. Some people might argue, and disagree with me but, the reality is I used the same method for over 10 years. My very first black car was an E36 M3. I did the same thing, but at the time I used Meguiare's Quick detail. On top of this, I polish and wax the car every 6 month; that is claying, polishing, more polishing, waxing and then sealing it. And then on a day to day basis, dusting and quick details. Every Saturday or Sunday the baby gets a bath . You have to keep in mind that nothing will last forever. You are challenging nature; do the best to protect it and keep it clean. I hope this help.
Encouraging words. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #19
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian III View Post
You're being neurotic

Black cars are beautiful. You are going to have to keep her maintained, though. There is no question about that.
of course, Bavarian has to put his two pennies in to help
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #20
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Oh suck it up I been dealing with keep my baby clean since August of 07.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #21
benny90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Welcome to the downside of having a black car. The BMW's in particular, especially the Jet Black does not age very well. It definitely needs constant upkeep. I've noticed that the clear coat on them are very thin and easily scratched. Wax is your friend and pretty much the one thing that you can do to fill in the scratches and make it look new again!
2006 330i E90 || Jet Black on Terra || STEP | ZSP | ZPP | FULL M-tech Kit | Linea Corse LC818's / 19x8.5 ET30 / 19x10 ET22 / Falken FK452's | 35% Pinnacle Tint | Blacklines | CF Trim & Roundels | Predator ICE | Alarm | Cosmos Fogs | Smoked Corners w/ X5 Bulbs | BMW Performance Grills | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | M Sport E-Brake | ACS Roof Spoiler & Pedals | M3 Spoiler | Euro Fog Switch | Paddle Retrofit Kit | CF Mtech Splitters
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 01:00 PM   #22
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Space Grey all day!

I've had two other black cars - I don't think I'll go back.

So that goes against the saying "once you go black....", right?
Appreciate 0