E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Installing amp on e90, any recommendations?

05-28-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
cubanpapi
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Installing amp on e90, any recommendations?

Hey guys, I want to install an Amp and put 2 12s in the trunk, nothing crazy a simple add-on to just improve the bass a little...

My thing is

Can I tap the rear speakers in order to get a pre-out from the factory radio?

Also will I be able to run a 800 watt or less amp on factory alternator?

And last, which would be the best route to run the power cables to the trunk?

I've done this on other cars but being as BMW makes everything so easy for only the guys at the dealers, i might be able to get some tips here on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

What audio system?

No problem with the alternator and surprise surprise, the battery is in the trunk already!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

And what model year?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
cubanpapi
Rep

I have a 2007 335i, audio system... I will be using the stock system, I am just making the pre-outs from the rear deck speaker connection(splicing the speaker wire into an rca)... this should easily let the lows go into the amp and just give it enough kick.... like i said i dont want something crazy...

ohh and the "battery is in the trunk"... thanks for that!!!

i havent really messed with the car at all.. so i havent gotten into it much... am currently rebuilding my bike so been focused on that mainly.

to me the stock sound system isn't bad.... i would just like some more low bass kick on it... that is why i wanna do this.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #5
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanpapi View Post
I have a 2007 335i, audio system... I will be using the stock system, I am just making the pre-outs from the rear deck speaker connection(splicing the speaker wire into an rca)... this should easily let the lows go into the amp and just give it enough kick.... like i said i dont want something crazy...

ohh and the "battery is in the trunk"... thanks for that!!!

i havent really messed with the car at all.. so i havent gotten into it much... am currently rebuilding my bike so been focused on that mainly.

to me the stock sound system isn't bad.... i would just like some more low bass kick on it... that is why i wanna do this.
Unless your amp is specifically designed to accept a speaker level signal into the line level input, all you'll be doing is overdriving your aftermarket amp and producing distortion. Also, if you have one of the amplified systems, the rear speaker output might not even be full range so you won't get any lows at all out of it. First start out with, what OEM system do you have. Base, hi-fi, Logic 7? Second, what amp and speaker are you planning to install? That will help the experts here suggest the appropriate action.
      05-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

The 2007 335i has the Logic7 system, so it will need either a processor with up to 70W high level inputs or a LC6i before a processor for then to add an aftermarket amp.

The OP needs to go to a professional or he will damage his car/equipment.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
cubanpapi
Rep

I have the stock system, it doesn't show a model or anything on it, besides BMW Professional I think it says that.. cant remember right now.

and about the amp I was looking into getting a Pioneer 760w GM5400T
with 2 12s, haven't decided what brand the speaker or box style yet.

PS. I did ask for your help guys and I appreciate all the tips and info on this, like i said I've done my systems on all my other cars, but everything on the BMW seems like a mission, and I've never worked on this car before.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 11:44 PM   #8
cubanpapi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The 2007 335i has the Logic7 system, so it will need either a processor with up to 70W high level inputs or a LC6i before a processor for then to add an aftermarket amp.

The OP needs to go to a professional or he will damage his car/equipment.

Hey I looked up the LC6i, that will be the best result for what I want, as you mentioned I will need that to basically convert the speaker output into a pre-amp...

Thanks I think that will be the answer I was looking for!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Hey I looked up the LC6i, that will be the best result for what I want, as you mentioned I will need that to basically convert the speaker output into a pre-amp...

Thanks I think that will be the answer I was looking for!
The LC6i and a processor were just recommendations for a complete upgrade; if what you are looking to do is to just add a sub to your Logic7 system then this is the easiest way: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387678
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #10
cubanpapi
Rep

Quote:
The LC6i and a processor were just recommendations for a complete upgrade; if what you are looking to do is to just add a sub to your Logic7 system then this is the easiest way: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387678
Hey, I already got the LC6i wasn't really much more then what that piece is being sold for. I also changed the amp that I had in mind, and the new one I believe won't even need an LC6i as it has speaker level input and also signal sensing turn on, so no need for remote cable to the amp either... but I will use the lc6i sense I already ordered it... might upgrade the rest of the system later and then it will come to more use.

Thanks to everyone who put tips on the posts and recommendations!

I will try to get a friend to take some vids or pics of the install and post them up!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
hanggaw
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15

Quote:
Hey, I already got the LC6i wasn't really much more then what that piece is being sold for. I also changed the amp that I had in mind, and the new one I believe won't even need an LC6i as it has speaker level input and also signal sensing turn on, so no need for remote cable to the amp either... but I will use the lc6i sense I already ordered it... might upgrade the rest of the system later and then it will come to more use.

Thanks to everyone who put tips on the posts and recommendations!

I will try to get a friend to take some vids or pics of the install and post them up!
Any updates on the installation? Sounds like this is what I want to do myself.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
cubanpapi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanggaw View Post
Any updates on the installation? Sounds like this is what I want to do myself.
Hey, its been a while.. and been doing a bunch of projects at work... well so far on the car, I have all the cables setup and getting the new speakers by the 15th of this month... I will put up a picture of the trunk once I have the speakers installed, for now my system is just sitting in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #13
cubanpapi
Rep

Hey guys, I got the system done and its working very nice to my taste... its nothing crazy.. i get a nice deep bass that I like, the only cons so far is the tag which has a little rattling sense it is only held in by 2 screws... so that's an easy fix with some rubber spacers and adding the other 2 screws also...

Here are the pics..

I did all the installation by myself although am not any expert at this, but if anyone need I will lend a hand or w.e info I learn so far if needed by another "do things yourself guy" like myself..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #14
kingmatt
Rep
Drives: BMW 328xi

Hey cubanpapi - I was just checking out the pics, nice work!

Would you mind detailing how you connected to your battery? Straight to 12V+ with a fuse? Where did you ground?

My dealership is telling me there's no way to connect direct to battery (for a CarPC/power regulator in my case) and I don't believe them.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post

My dealership is telling me there's no way to connect direct to battery (for a CarPC/power regulator in my case) and I don't believe them.
You can actually order an insert that lets you connect to an unused port on the battery terminal distribution block...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=9
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #16
kingmatt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
You can actually order an insert that lets you connect to an unused port on the battery terminal distribution block...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...21&postcount=9
Thanks for that - I had seen this post a while back and I brought it up to my dealership... hoping they'd either be able to install one of these inserts or at least order me one. They looked at me like I had 4 heads and said there was no way to plug-in to the distribution block without screwing up the car's electrical system..... hmmmm. I still don't believe them.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #17
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They looked at me like I had 4 heads and said there was no way to plug-in to the distribution block without screwing up the car's electrical system..... hmmmm. I still don't believe them.
I could poke fun at the dealership... but why are you even ASKING them, dude? They don't want anyone to screw anything up, so they say EVERYTHING'S impossible.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 01:43 PM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that - I had seen this post a while back and I brought it up to my dealership... hoping they'd either be able to install one of these inserts or at least order me one. They looked at me like I had 4 heads and said there was no way to plug-in to the distribution block without screwing up the car's electrical system..... hmmmm. I still don't believe them.
More than a year later and my electrical system still works...

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #19
kingmatt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
I could poke fun at the dealership... but why are you even ASKING them, dude? They don't want anyone to screw anything up, so they say EVERYTHING'S impossible.
wellllll, because:

1) I'm a dealer-sheep

2) the BMW is new (to me) and I'm afraid to break it

3) if #2 does happen I wanted to be able to blame the dealer

But you're absolutely right... I shouldn't have expected much out of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
kingmatt
Rep

Quote:
More than a year later and my electrical system still works...
OK - sounds good. I'm going to order one of the dist block inserts. Where did you ground? Most of the bolts I've found don't seem like solid ground points.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #21
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
OK - sounds good. I'm going to order one of the dist block inserts. Where did you ground? Most of the bolts I've found don't seem like solid ground points.

Thanks!
I grounded to the same bolt the battery grounds to. Depending on the location of your amp, that might be a bit far. There is also a grounding point on the driver's side of the trunk on the wheel well. There is a ground distribution block grounded to it and you can ground to the same point that the distribution block is grounded to.
      09-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #22
cubanpapi
Rep

Quote:
Hey cubanpapi - I was just checking out the pics, nice work!

Would you mind detailing how you connected to your battery? Straight to 12V+ with a fuse? Where did you ground?

Thanks!
Hey kingmatt

I connected the 12V+ and ground also right into the battery, I didn't use the adapter although it is very nice, now that I see the picture of it, but I chipped of a plastic side cover from another clip hatch that the batter cover has, and easily lets you put on it a 0-ring clip to it, as it already has a nut on it and all you have to do is put cut out about 7cm's or plastic tiny side panel of it. My cabling had been done for almost a month now, my speakers where the only thing that held me back till yesterday, and my car was in for service about 2 weeks ago at the dealer, the rep said that it was perfectly done correctly with cables being terminated to proper tips, and that this add-on would never be able to cause an electrical issue do to the fuse box preventing it... I knew that already, I only asked the guy how much of an amp can I put on this before I will need a cap... answer was anything over 1k watts... which is pretty much standard for when your going into that high of a system.
Appreciate 0