E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Someone help me drive a manual...

05-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Woolygimp
Rep
Drives: accord

Someone help me drive a manual...

Just received my 2009 335i MT coupe and I'm loving it but I do need some help...

I haven't driven a manual since a Z3 I had around 8 years ago, so I'm having a few problems in first gear.

From a dead stop, I am having a very hard time getting the car through first without it jerking. Too few RPMs and it jerks, lugs, and possibly even stalls. Too many and it "kangaroos" and jumps and I end up going a little too fast intended.

I'm looking for consistency and the only time I can really get it going without it jerking is if I ride the clutch and disengage it far too slowly, which can't be good for the clutch.

Is it normal for MTs to have the jerk when getting it into first gear, lacking the fluid movement of ATs, or is it because I'm a noob?

And technically, what is the worst thing I can be doing to my car/parts as far as wear and tear...?

Too few RPMs and lugging/stalling, too many and jerking? Depressing the clutch too slowly and riding it?

Quote:
n a vehicle with a manual transmission, riding the clutch refers to the practice of needlessly keeping the clutch partially disengaged. This results in the clutch being unable to fully engage with the flywheel and so causes premature wear on the disc and flywheel.

A common example of riding the clutch is to keep slight continual pressure on the clutch pedal whilst driving, as when a driver habitually rests his/her foot on the clutch pedal instead of on the floorboard or dead pedal. Although this slight pressure is not enough to allow the clutch disc itself to slip, it is enough to keep the release bearing against the release springs. This causes the bearing to remain spinning, which leads to premature bearing failure.
Yeah, I'm not doing that. I guess I always took "riding the clutch" to mean clutch control which is perfectly fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolygimp View Post
Just received my 2009 335i MT coupe and I'm loving it but I do need some help...

I haven't driven a manual since a Z3 I had around 8 years ago, so I'm having a few problems in first gear.

From a dead stop, I am having a very hard time getting the car through first without it jerking. Too few RPMs and it jerks, lugs, and possibly even stalls. Too many and it "kangaroos" and jumps and I end up going a little too fast intended.

I'm looking for consistency and the only time I can really get it going without it jerking is if I ride the clutch and disengage it far too slowly, which can't be good for the clutch.

Is it normal for MTs to have the jerk when getting it into first gear, lacking the fluid movement of ATs, or is it because I'm a noob?

And technically, what is the worst thing I can be doing to my car/parts as far as wear and tear...?

Too few RPMs and lugging/stalling, too many and jerking? Depressing the clutch too slowly and riding it?

Yeah, I'm not doing that. I guess I always took "riding the clutch" to mean clutch control which is perfectly fine.
This car has a wierd clutch..Ive only ever driven manuals and I stalled it the first time I took off, first couple times were a bit hitchey. I cant comment on the wear but my best suggestion is to just keep at it. SMOOOTH and steady. Let the clutch out faster at higher RPM and slower at lower RPM is about all I can think. Its alot easier to do it then to suggest how to do it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
nyknickfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 335i Sedan

Congrats on your purchase...you shouldn't have too much of a problem if you've driven manuals before, but the 6sp on the 335s is a little interesting/tricky...the peak torque comes in at a really low rpm and can be a little tricky for even the most experienced drivers...the clutch delay valve also bothers some drivers

Try getting accustomed to when the clutch actually engages and catches the gear...do the no-gas method (in an empty parking lot) by slowly letting off the clutch while in first gear without touching the throttle to see when the vehicle will begin slowly moving forward...you'll have a better understanding of how to smoothly take off...

In this car there is more of a chance for rough shifts in the earlier gears if you're too light on the throttle...the more you get used to the clutch, the smoother your shifts and take offs will be...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Yeah 1st to 2nd is a bitch even if you know what you're doing so don't be too concerned if you can't get a smooth shift 1-2. The rest should be pretty easy though.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
MRQturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 91 MR2 turbo....07 335i...

if you've driven a manual before....it should still be the same...i find the car is very easy to drive......its not the car...its the driver.....lol...
      05-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
PsychoSlug
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Have you tried just starting in 2nd? 1st gear is very short, and I ony use it when making jack rabbit starts. Granted, I shift manually with an AT, but the gear ratios are the same as a manual.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Remove the Clutch Delay Valve.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
slavke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330i sport & prem

I didn't have a problem driving the car when I test drove my 330i but I have to admit its got one of the trickiest clutches of all manuals I have driven. I think the biggest problem is that clutch valve which interfers with your own control so as a result you get the worst 1-2 transition of all manuals. Some people use the modified valve to smooth out the ride. You will get used to it eventually just keep at it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #9
sneaks
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt34 View Post
Have you tried just starting in 2nd? 1st gear is very short, and I ony use it when making jack rabbit starts. Granted, I shift manually with an AT, but the gear ratios are the same as a manual.
Don't start in second on a manual transmission as a habit. First gear is there for a reason. So you should use it. The clutch won't last more than 30k miles starting in second all the time.

In snow is fine because your tires slip instead of the clutch. Downhill is fine because it doesn't take lots of slip anyway.

As a side note, did everyone see when Jeremy Clarkson started the corvette in 5th gear? "0-180mph..... in one gear!"
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #10
Baldur Abendroth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: the economy, SG e92 335i MT

Really it's going to take a lot of repetition and practice. I still have trouble from time to time in first making it smooth, my gf laughs at me but she has no clue how touchy the 335 is in 1st. It's much better than the piece of shit clutch on her IS250, god that thing has the dumbest timing ever.
      05-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Castel
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue '13 E92 M3

Woolygimp, really look into removing the CDV (Clutch Delay Valve). It'll make your learning easier and your clutch modulation more consistent. Do a search here, it's a quick mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
Pongdadong
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328XI (e92)

if your car is jerking your babying the the clutch, just let it go

Chuck Norris once kicked a horse in the chin. Its descendants are now known as giraffes.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
sn0wwhite335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i MSPORT.

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolygimp View Post

if a girl can do it, you can do it (hope that gives you the willpower)

......be happy your not driving a 328, you wanna to talk about jerking... thing gives you whip lash it has such little power ! i found my 335 much more pleasant to drive. just take it for a long drive and youll get use to it.

'10 e92 335i m-sport; AW/Blk | ZPP | ZCW | NAV | Alarm | Logic7
19' 225s | JB+ | BMS DCI | CF TRiM | OEM PERF SHIFT/EBRAKE KIT

sold: 07 e92 328xi & 07 e90 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
JoeyBananaz18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: metrocard

im going on almost a year with the car and the only way i can get a perfectly smooth launch is to release the clutch slower than i shoud, or as stated above, shift at a much higher RPM, at which theres almost no point to 2nd gear and ill go from 1st to 3rd.

also i'v found that going from 1st to 2nd as early as posible results in a much smoother shift. i'll launch in 1st, and my 2k RPMS i'll put it into 2nd. smooth as butter every time.

I also think that BMW clutches are pretty resilient, and can take much abuse. iv heard stories about people abusing the hell out of the clutches and car is perfect.
7/18/09- I pick up my baby- 2009 E92 335i Xdrive, Space Gray over Coral Red. Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, M-Sport Pkg, 193Ms, Gloss Black grills, Custom Gloss Black Mirrors, Performance shift and E-brake boot, M3 spoiler, Euro fog switch, gloss black interior tim, Coco-Mats (red/black), H&R coilovers, 19'' Alufelgen SF-71s......
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #15
JJB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

If you're getting into a situation where you gun it, try to let off, and the jerk puts your foot back into the gas - over and over (maybe this is what you mean by kangaroo?), you can try a trick I learned wheelin' my jeep on really bumpy trails...

Keep the right side of your foot against the tunnel (the hump, whatever you call it), and gently roll the left edge of your foot onto the gas pedal. That keeps your foot somewhat stationary, and will avoid the start/stop jerkiness.

I've driven lots of sticks, and this seems to be the most temperamental. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyknickfan View Post
Congrats on your purchase...you shouldn't have too much of a problem if you've driven manuals before, but the 6sp on the 335s is a little interesting/tricky...the peak torque comes in at a really low rpm and can be a little tricky for even the most experienced drivers...the clutch delay valve also bothers some drivers

Try getting accustomed to when the clutch actually engages and catches the gear...do the no-gas method (in an empty parking lot) by slowly letting off the clutch while in first gear without touching the throttle to see when the vehicle will begin slowly moving forward...you'll have a better understanding of how to smoothly take off...

In this car there is more of a chance for rough shifts in the earlier gears if you're too light on the throttle...the more you get used to the clutch, the smoother your shifts and take offs will be...
Agreed, starting in first without the throttle (somewhere safe, like a parking lot) is a great way to learn where the clutch point is and get a feel for the timing. Then, add some throttle, hold the throttle for a moment with the clutch disengaged, and let out the clutch until the car inches forward, and then disengage again. Don't be afraid to give it more throttle than you think it needs until you get the hang of things, then back off the throttle as you get more comforable. Try that a few times and you'll really get a feel for where the clutch engages and I think you'll be syrup smooth in no time. (not a great thing to do everyday, but a little practice won't hurt anything).

BTW, there were a few posts about shifting quickly out of 1st. Just be careful not to make the mistake of trying to make up time by jerking on the shifter from 1st to 2nd, ESPECIALLY when the tranny fluid is cold. Pull smoothly down from 1st, and when you're in between gears wait for the synchros, when they line up the linkage will slot in smoothly, it doesn't need to be forced.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 01:05 PM   #17
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow in the left lane.

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaks View Post
Don't start in second on a manual transmission as a habit. First gear is there for a reason. So you should use it. The clutch won't last more than 30k miles starting in second all the time.

In snow is fine because your tires slip instead of the clutch. Downhill is fine because it doesn't take lots of slip anyway.

As a side note, did everyone see when Jeremy Clarkson started the corvette in 5th gear? "0-180mph..... in one gear!"
Link?
      05-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #18
shuarma
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e92

sounds like you're releasing the clutch too fast
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #19
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Remove the Clutch Delay Valve.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #20
CarForHire
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow in the left lane.

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
Never mind, I found the review.
      05-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #21
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpratt34 View Post
Do NOT start in second gear regularly. You will wear out your clutch. Like the other guy said, try the no gas method. The lower the revs the less wear you will have on your clutch.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #22
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
the easiest way i was taught was let the clutch up slowly so u can feel it grab (thats without pressing the accelerator.) if that makes sense to you.
Appreciate 0