E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Warranty questions about an American 335i in Canada (and pics!)

05-08-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Warranty questions about an American 335i in Canada (and pics!)

Hi guys,

So after the longest time I am about to make the jump from 325xi to a 335i over here in Alberta. I would like to get the car from America as they are literally about $12,000 cheaper and considering the CAD is worth about 96cents USD at the time of writing I think it's the perfect time to do this.

My questions are;

1) Is the warranty completely voided when the car enters Canada?
2) If so, is the HPFP warranty also voided?
3) Can I pay for 'new' warranty through BMW Canada?

Any help would be much appreciated guys n gals.

Here's a few pictures of my current ride.. (Sorry for crappy BB pics!)

Front-windows down. Car is fully limo tinted all the way around except windshield.

Angel eyes only (car has to be off with the light switch in the 1st position to the right of 'off')

Random shot of the Xenons.

Car park in Downtown Calgary.

Overlooking the Calgary skyline.

And lastly a spot I found in the NW of Calgary.

Enjoy, and thanks again for the help!

PS (Still going to keep the 325xi for winter driving on the stock 16's with snow performance tires )

Last edited by BMW Fanatic; 05-10-2010 at 11:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

Nice car!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
tcc230
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

Imported car to Canada...

I imported a car from the US 4 weeks ago...as far as I know, the vehicle warranty is still available in Canada...so the 4 years 80 km...

I don't know about the extended warranty...

The hpfp...I am pretty sure that is still covered in the US. I am not 100% sure though...

Easy process in Ontario, hopefully it goes smoothly for you!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
BMW Fanatic
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
Nice car!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcc230 View Post
I imported a car from the US 4 weeks ago...as far as I know, the vehicle warranty is still available in Canada...so the 4 years 80 km...

I don't know about the extended warranty...

The hpfp...I am pretty sure that is still covered in the US. I am not 100% sure though...

Easy process in Ontario, hopefully it goes smoothly for you!
Thanks for the input, and I hope it does!

Anyone else ...
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fanatic View Post
Thanks!

Thanks for the input, and I hope it does!

Anyone else ...
your car is warrantied through BMWNA(BMW North America) and last i checked Canada was in North America, the dealer doesnt warrant the car, BMWNA does making it to where you can bring your car to any dealer under warranty and walk out without paying a penny(unless its a rare instance)
      05-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #6
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
your car is warrantied through BMWNA(BMW North America) and last i checked Canada was in North America, the dealer doesnt warrant the car, BMWNA does making it to where you can bring your car to any dealer under warranty and walk out without paying a penny(unless its a rare instance)
BMWNA is the Holding company for BMW in the United States. The distributor for Canada is BMW Canada.
At least the past few years, BMWNA in conjunction with BMW Canada, have really cracked down on gray market cars. From my experience working at a BMW Center, your car will be marked as a gray market car, warranty will be voided, and the selling dealer will be fined (if the car was sold new).

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
BMWNA is the Holding company for BMW in the United States. The distributor for Canada is BMW Canada.
At least the past few years, BMWNA in conjunction with BMW Canada, have really cracked down on gray market cars. From my experience working at a BMW Center, your car will be marked as a gray market car, warranty will be voided, and the selling dealer will be fined (if the car was sold new).
thats dumb, i was just assuming...sorry OP i was incorrect
      05-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #8
jaybird124
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
thats dumb, i was just assuming...sorry OP i was incorrect
We all have a little piece to share and learn from each other.

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport |'09 335d Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #9
Spoolin335
Justin Herass
Canada
Rep
Drives: X6M / M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2012 Audi TTRS  [10.00]
2012 BMW X6M  [9.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [9.00]
You will still have full warranty, all you will
lose is your free routine maintenance.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #10
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Man those wheels look like a bitch to clean
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
wuchao1
台北 台灣
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2004 MazdaSpeed Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
Man those wheels look like a bitch to clean
Thats the first thing went cross my mind when I saw the pic. Looks great tho.

2004 Mazda Speed Miata... Bone Stock...
2000 Ford Explorer... Beater all the way
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
slavke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 330i sport & prem

before I bought my cpo here in ottawa I looked at some other bmws that were just used once and when I went to the dealer with vin number to check the history first thing he asked me is if the car was from states. They all seem to hate the customers that bring cars from states for some reason. He was trying to tell me that a lot of people get screwed and bring junk cars from states thinking they are getting a better deal. I cant really tell you much else just to maybe give you heads up that dealer might hate you when you bring the car from states for maintenance check up.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
tcc230
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

warranty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavke View Post
before I bought my cpo here in ottawa I looked at some other bmws that were just used once and when I went to the dealer with vin number to check the history first thing he asked me is if the car was from states. They all seem to hate the customers that bring cars from states for some reason. He was trying to tell me that a lot of people get screwed and bring junk cars from states thinking they are getting a better deal. I cant really tell you much else just to maybe give you heads up that dealer might hate you when you bring the car from states for maintenance check up.
I get that sense too, but the nice thing is that you have options, hopefully....if you are not happy with one bmw dealership you can go elsewhere...I would call them and let them know that you have an american car and go from there....Unfortunately, the disparity between cost makes it logical....I would understand why dealership would not be happy...but they should be trying to keep you happy in order to have your business from here on in.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 04:36 PM   #14
smartys
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 e93 335i

YOU'RE WARRANTY WILL BE FINE! I have an imported 07 e93 335i, and have had my hpfp, power-steering pump, wastegate rattle fixed (with NEW turbos), ALL under warranty. The extended hpfp warranty is ALSO good in Canada.

The only thing that is NOT covered is the MAINTENANCE warranty (oil changes, etc). However, if you don't wish to pay for scheduled maintenance, you can go to any US dealer and it will be covered---that is, only when the car's computer tells you it's time to service your car.
      05-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #15
beamer
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavke View Post
He was trying to tell me that a lot of people get screwed and bring junk cars from states thinking they are getting a better deal.
He was trying to scare you into buying a car off of his lot. I went to Otto's in Ottawa (I assume same dealership as you) and the used car manager told me that my car was worth NOTHING, and he wouldn't even accept it on a trade in for a future purchase. ha.

I went through the RIV process a couple months back to import my CPO e91 from US to Canada. As stated a few posts back:

1. New Car Warranty will be honored in both Canada and US (4 yrs, 50k miles)
2. US Maintenance will NOT be honored in Canada.
3. CPO repairs done in Canada should be eligible for reimbursement through a US dealer after the work is completed (+2yrs, +50k miles).

Hope that helps.
      05-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #16
martinc
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi 6MT

I agree with smartys and beamer, although I haven't yet experienced it first hand just yet. Purchased my car in Minnesota last January and I plan to take it in for a rattle in the exhaust (left exhaust flap). We'll see what happens then.

The Canadian dealers will not give you a recall letter (required by the RIV as part of the registration process) unless you change your American cluster for a Canadian one. There're other things as well, such as running a software update which takes about 3 hours. I haven't done any of those things yet, nor plan to. One of the dealers in the Montreal area told me that as long as my warranty repairs don't have anything to do with the cluster, any warranty work should be honored. But there is a lot of misinformation out there; the other 2 dealers I called were much less forthcoming and tried to scare me off.

I'll post my warranty service experience after I take the car in. So far, besides the exhaust rattle, the car has been clean.
Appreciate 0