E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can someone run a carfax for me???

05-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Can someone run a carfax for me???

If someone has a carfax account please PM me and I will send you the VIN. I found a what looks like a too good to be true deal for an X5 on craigslist in my area, and it says it has 18 reports, and I want to know what they are....if the car checks out Im buying it cash....LOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
slimysnails
Leaving slime trails...
United_States
Rep
Drives: a black brick

i still have a valid autocheck account if you want me to run it there, i can.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimysnails View Post
i still have a valid autocheck account if you want me to run it there, i can.
You cant get PM's, the VIN is 5UXFE83577LZ43480 I typed it into yahoo and it came up with some ebay auctions. I found it on Craigslist in Denver for 19,5k....something seems fishy on this.

Nevermind looks like this thing is going up all over the country and it was on EBAY twice and such...a dealer in NYC has it listed on thier site. Im thinking either scam or something is a miss big time....like I said it sounded too good to be true LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

we were looking for a car for our 16 year old. Craigslist is full of scammers. I would say 9 out of 10 of the ads were scams. The ebay/craigslist scam is a particular favorite. Just email the seller and if he wants to use ebay to seal the deal then STAY AWAY!

http://www.simplysoldstore.com/wordp...omment-page-4/
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Morpheus
Captain
Rep

We’ve had several people come to our store or call us lately asking about a car they’re buying online. They’ve found the car on the popular classifieds website, Craigslist. The ad usually offers a very good deal on a car and looks very legitimate. The seller appears to be looking out for your best interest, because they tell you that they would like to insure the transaction through eBay, for both your protection and theirs.

You then receive an e-mail which appears to be coming from eBay’s Transaction Services division (which doesn’t exist), and it even has a Transaction Service ID number for you to reference. The e-mail tells how you will be protected and provides payment instructions using Western Union, or some similar money transfer service. You send the money and waits for the next instruction regarding delivery of their car. That’s where the happy store ends.

Your money is gone. You’ll never see the car. You’ll never be able to reach the “seller” again.

Here are the keys to this transaction:

* eBay and Craigslist are competitors. In fact, they’re suing eachother right now. eBay does not assist with any transactions that are not being peformed on eBay, and especially not with a competitor. GM doesn’t warranty Toyota cars. eBay doesn’t guarantee Craigslist transactions either.

* Any time someone wants you to pay through Western Union or some other money transfer service, that’s a huge red flag. Those services are the next best thing to sending cash through the mail. They’re great if you are sending money to someone you already know and trust, a family member for example. However, they’re immediate and non-cancellable. Once you’ve sent the money, you can’t get it back and the thief knows that too. The thief is using a fake name too, so when they pick up their money (and it is theirs now), it’s gone forever. Do not pay using a money transfer service!

Thankfully, these potential victims have come to us first and asked about this transaction. We’ve been able to stop them before they made the mistake and helped them report these fraudsters. One potential vicitm was very adamant, claiming that this couldn’t be a fake because the person was so nice and polite. We finally convinced her not to send her hard-earned $3000.

If you’ve been approached by someone online and this scenario sounds familiar, run far and run fast from this deal!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
We’ve had several people come to our store or call us lately asking about a car they’re buying online. They’ve found the car on the popular classifieds website, Craigslist. The ad usually offers a very good deal on a car and looks very legitimate. The seller appears to be looking out for your best interest, because they tell you that they would like to insure the transaction through eBay, for both your protection and theirs.

You then receive an e-mail which appears to be coming from eBay’s Transaction Services division (which doesn’t exist), and it even has a Transaction Service ID number for you to reference. The e-mail tells how you will be protected and provides payment instructions using Western Union, or some similar money transfer service. You send the money and waits for the next instruction regarding delivery of their car. That’s where the happy store ends.

Your money is gone. You’ll never see the car. You’ll never be able to reach the “seller” again.

Here are the keys to this transaction:

* eBay and Craigslist are competitors. In fact, they’re suing eachother right now. eBay does not assist with any transactions that are not being peformed on eBay, and especially not with a competitor. GM doesn’t warranty Toyota cars. eBay doesn’t guarantee Craigslist transactions either.

* Any time someone wants you to pay through Western Union or some other money transfer service, that’s a huge red flag. Those services are the next best thing to sending cash through the mail. They’re great if you are sending money to someone you already know and trust, a family member for example. However, they’re immediate and non-cancellable. Once you’ve sent the money, you can’t get it back and the thief knows that too. The thief is using a fake name too, so when they pick up their money (and it is theirs now), it’s gone forever. Do not pay using a money transfer service!

Thankfully, these potential victims have come to us first and asked about this transaction. We’ve been able to stop them before they made the mistake and helped them report these fraudsters. One potential vicitm was very adamant, claiming that this couldn’t be a fake because the person was so nice and polite. We finally convinced her not to send her hard-earned $3000.

If you’ve been approached by someone online and this scenario sounds familiar, run far and run fast from this deal!
Good information - nice of you to share it to help others keep their hard-earned money. So who is this "us" you're referring to?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #7
Morpheus
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
Good information - nice of you to share it to help others keep their hard-earned money. So who is this "us" you're referring to?
Actually that was from the link I posted. Looks like a consignment dealer. I should have used quotes or given credit for the source-It's not me. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #8
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep

THanks for the info. I knew it was too good to be true and did that little digging. That car should be going for closer to 38k....half price I was like wtf???

Id never wire transfer anything that is a total tip off to scam stuff. If I was getting this thing it would be a bank check and me handing the money over only after inspecting the vehicle and such.
Appreciate 0