ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Arrow How to: remove plastic trunk tray, and still have a open & closing top.

Hey guys, I dont know about the majority on here, but I've always had problems with that almost useless plastic tray coming off its hinges and thus not triggering the switch: allowing the top to go down or up.

The tray is one thing, but having it positioned so that it properly activates the switch is another, so I opted to remove it: since for my subwoofer install, it just rattled itself loose constantly, and was quite poorly designed in the first place.

So step 1) Remove the tray, as it'll pop off its hinges, from there just angle it out of the trunk of the car and set it aside in some far corner of your garage: as you'll never need to use it again.

Step 2) Use a medium torx bit to remove the switch assembly (two screws, about 3/4" in total length), of which the knob on the tray will hit against.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49522574@N06/4582669686/
Here, this is it fully removed. Its a bit of a PITA having to force your body into these orgami like contortions to fit into the trunk, and properly dis-connect it, but after you do that, this will be the back side that needs to be modified (dont get worried its painfully easy)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49522574@N06/4582669688/
Use a trouble light/flashlight to see what you're doing inside the trunk, seriously! Remember not to force the connector apart or it'll never properly re-attach as its locking mechanism will be broken.

Step 3) Basically you want to bypass the switch. Using a multimeter I found that when the switch is in the (physical) closed position, the circuit is closed. When ever the electrical system is not in a closed loop (as in: the switch has not been tripped/closed) that tells the car to not attempt to operate the power top in anyway. So: bypass the switch by closing the circuit yourself/soldering the two wires together.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4952257...n/photostream/
Obviously, COVER IT IN ELECTRICAL TAPE AFTER! You dont have to solder it per se', but I have a soldering gun and I can do it, so I did. Alternatively you can use the "Marrett" twist connectors, but make SURE they're on there tight, and electrical taped on there. Since I dont know about you, but I dont want these wires separating and thus you can't close the top when it starts raining.

Now, you can re-install the old switch cover if you want, or just leave it be. Either way, you're done. !
any questions, just ask here or PM me, and I'd be happy to help
      05-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
assclown
The Main Act
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335xi

Great write up Graham! Keep in mind if you remove the trunk tray with the soft top up people can directly see into your trunk (I just found this out today..).
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Graham M
Canada
Rep

^ Yeah thats true. I noticed that after finally doing this myself. It doesn't bother me, even with a stereo in the back of it, but if it were to really bother other people: just put a light tint on the rear window and that'll cure the problem.
      05-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #4
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

thanks,

Ironic b/c last week while installing my coilovers I busted my microswitch and I ended up doing the same thing

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Graham M
Canada
Rep

summers right around the corner, just thought I'd bump this for anybody interested.
      07-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #6
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

This sounds great.. that microswitch has ruined many good opportunities for me
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Graham M
Canada
Rep

Bump, holy shit I forgot I even made this thread until I checked this car audio DIY guide a made a LONG time ago as well. I forgot I even had a Flickr account too. hahaha
Talk about a trip down memory lane.
      08-18-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Graham M
Canada
Rep

just thought Id bump this for everybody that hasn't seen it.