E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > car got rear ended =(

05-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
nyknickfan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Alpine White 335i Sedan

car got rear ended =(

Hey guys,

I just got my CPO '08 335i alpine white sedan back in February and it got rear ended today. I was on my way to get my oil topped off a Bloomfield BMW and was at a stop light when a Mitsubishi Mirage rear ends my car going 10 - 15 mph. The Mirage had no front bumper so my rear bumper took the impact from the Mirage's frame!!

I was fortunate enough to notice in my rearview the car was coming too fast and braced myself before impact. It makes me angry because you try so hard to drive cautiously, but some things are just out of your control. On top of it...the a$$holes did not care to ask if I was alright and apologize for the inconvenience. Thank God I am alright though

The purpose of this thread is just to point out how well-made BMW vehicles are . The damage was mostly scratches and slight dents on only my rear bumper coming out to a $950 estimate. The impact was completely absorbed by the vehicle and I came out without a scratch or bruise. If this was my previous car, a Mazda RX-8, the entire back end would have been demolished since the other car's frame impacted my car (who knows what would have happened to me ).

The accident makes me somewhat angry, but I am enjoying the feeling of safety after the fact. I know that the car will be able to protect me better than most of the cars out on the road and that gives me some relief.

I would post a pic, but I don't think you guys would like to see a damaged 335. I get sad every time I look at it...

To sum up, this vehicle has amazing performance as well as safety. THANK YOU BMW AND BLOOMFIELD BMW FOR TAKING CARE OF ME. I would recommend any nearby owners to go there.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyknickfan View Post
Hey guys,

I just got my CPO '08 335i alpine white sedan back in February and it got rear ended today. I was on my way to get my oil topped off a Bloomfield BMW and was at a stop light when a Mitsubishi Mirage rear ends my car going 10 - 15 mph. The Mirage had no front bumper so my rear bumper took the impact from the Mirage's frame!!

I was fortunate enough to notice in my rearview the car was coming too fast and braced myself before impact. It makes me angry because you try so hard to drive cautiously, but some things are just out of your control. On top of it...the a$$holes did not care to ask if I was alright and apologize for the inconvenience. Thank God I am alright though

The purpose of this thread is just to point out how well-made BMW vehicles are . The damage was mostly scratches and slight dents on only my rear bumper coming out to a $950 estimate. The impact was completely absorbed by the vehicle and I came out without a scratch or bruise. If this was my previous car, a Mazda RX-8, the entire back end would have been demolished since the other car's frame impacted my car (who knows what would have happened to me ).

The accident makes me somewhat angry, but I am enjoying the feeling of safety after the fact. I know that the car will be able to protect me better than most of the cars out on the road and that gives me some relief.

I would post a pic, but I don't think you guys would like to see a damaged 335. I get sad every time I look at it...

To sum up, this vehicle has amazing performance as well as safety. THANK YOU BMW AND BLOOMFIELD BMW FOR TAKING CARE OF ME. I would recommend any nearby owners to go there.
M-Tech rear bumper painted and installed is maybe $500.
Time for an upgrade

glad it wasn't worse and everything (basically) is ok with u and ur car
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #3
335ny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

ah man i sympathize, got my front one smashed yesterday too, as long as your ok, car can be fixed, just a hassle that you have to deal with all the stress.
plus now you can get mtech so its not all bad. good luck
      05-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #4
burningchicken
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Whiteboy View Post
M-Tech rear bumper painted and installed is maybe $500.
Time for an upgrade

glad it wasn't worse and everything (basically) is ok with u and ur car
uhhh mtech rear painted and shipped from longtran is 1100..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningchicken View Post
uhhh mtech rear painted and shipped from longtran is 1100..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
nyknickfan
Private First Class
Rep

Yah I got quoted by tischer at $488 for the m-tech rear bumper (unpainted), but there is a cheaper online price...the estimate I received has the stock bumper at $488 (unpainted) as well...I'm thinking I'll go through with it if there is a price difference of a hundred dollars or so...thanks for the heads up guys
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Pics?
      05-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #9
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

sorry for your plight
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
ibeclueless
What
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

sorry to hear

My E92 Photos
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #11
Mutau052
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

We want pics! Do these cars have an actual bumper under the cover? Is so make sure you get that replaced also! Most cars have a real bumper under the cover and insurance will try just to replace the cover, but the real safety portion is ugly and under the cover.

Sorry I'm new two BMW but been in the automotive business for 8 years before becoming an engineering technician for CHK in Oklahoma city.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #12
TT3 iN NyC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS

Since your in NJ, which is not too far from NY, take your car to Martino Auto Concepts. Check the NY section for more details and what they do. You won't be disappointed one bit.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 08:40 PM   #13
nyknickfan
Private First Class
Rep

thanks for the advice guys...fortunately I already have a body shop that I've been going to for a few years now...and thanks for the heads up Mutau...I made sure the adjuster looked under the body to get a glance at the reinforcement...he said that there appears to be no damage but there is no guarantee until the bumper comes off...I don't mind though since its the other person's insurance

Here are a few pics as requested though...I can't believe I was persuaded into keeping a record of this depressing incident...but I can't deprive you guys

Like I said...the BMW took the impact real well...I was shocked when i saw the damage...I was expecting the taillights to be smashed, trunk lid to be messed up, etc....These pics are from after the car was rinsed to see the actual damage...enjoy? lol

Sorry for the crappy iphone pics!!

Rear Bumper

Name:  accident.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  76.9 KB

Closeup of Center of Rear Bumper

Name:  IMG_0280.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  66.4 KB

Closeup Above Left Exhaust

Name:  IMG_0279.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  68.0 KB

Closeup Above Right Exhaust

Name:  IMG_0281.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  74.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
linlaoboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 328xi 6MT

stop in the strip club there in bloomfield and go to the massage place next door, will make u feel better. Make sure you get the police report asap and file a 3rd party claim without your own insurance co.
      05-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
nyknickfan
Private First Class
Rep

^^linlaoboo - hahahaha i'll explore next time I'm around there

i'll be picking up the police report right when it's available...it's newark even though i was on bloomfield ave. so it's going to be 5-7 days...the people who hit me were consistently telling me they were going to leave after I called the police...I simply told them I'd tell the police you were fleeing the scene of an accident (6 point ticket)...oh and my back hurts a lil' bit (8 points total for fleeing the scene of an accident with personal injury)...yah...they stayed...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 12:22 AM   #16
bsamoul
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

That actually looks fixable
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #17
nyknickfan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamoul View Post
That actually looks fixable
I thought the same thing...but the adjuster told me that there are too many random dents around the area of the crease on the rear bumper for a repair (the area making it appear like it is two separate pieces)...I would agree because the added cost for labor and materials for the repair of the several dents would be too close to the cost of a new bumper.

I think since the damage is around the area of the accent lines makes it more difficult/expensive to repair...it's difficult to see in the pictures but the crease is entirely warped and crooked as well...I'm just going to wait and see what happens when I drop it off though..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:08 AM   #18
e90carbon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90-2009

It reminds me a similar case with my Toyota RAV 4 (sold and bought a BMW after5 years) that was new, only 2 month after it got out of Toyota dealership, a Bus rear ended, back window blows and my son (5 years old) didn't got hurt (thanks god) he also was in a children seat attached safely but have minor cuts due to broken glasses, all the rear door was awful, they have to replace everything in the back. I can tell you a Bus is not a car and impact is powerful. According to experts and my insurances, hydrolic brake fail to work.
Well what's most important is personal safety. So I hope that BMW is also as secure as my RAV 4.

Also many time on freeway I see some "bad guys" with their japanese cars or muscle cars driving really close behind me and they want to race with me, I really hate this situation as I have a kid and don't like race stuff that is dangerous on the road; I like sports cars for the look but not for racing, I'm always nervous when that happens; I try to let them know that I don't race. In that situation what do you do to avoid any racing?

Good luck for your car now, get a M bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:23 AM   #19
fruition3000
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Down Ocean Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by linlaoboo View Post
stop in the strip club there in bloomfield and go to the massage place next door, will make u feel better. Make sure you get the police report asap and file a 3rd party claim without your own insurance co.
oh yes..
eroticmp.com
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #20
nyknickfan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90carbon View Post
It reminds me a similar case with my Toyota RAV 4 (sold and bought a BMW after5 years) that was new, only 2 month after it got out of Toyota dealership, a Bus rear ended, back window blows and my son (5 years old) didn't got hurt (thanks god) he also was in a children seat attached safely but have minor cuts due to broken glasses, all the rear door was awful, they have to replace everything in the back. I can tell you a Bus is not a car and impact is powerful. According to experts and my insurances, hydrolic brake fail to work.
Well what's most important is personal safety. So I hope that BMW is also as secure as my RAV 4.

Also many time on freeway I see some "bad guys" with their japanese cars or muscle cars driving really close behind me and they want to race with me, I really hate this situation as I have a kid and don't like race stuff that is dangerous on the road; I like sports cars for the look but not for racing, I'm always nervous when that happens; I try to let them know that I don't race. In that situation what do you do to avoid any racing?

Good luck for your car now, get a M bumper.

I definitely feel for you...it is very annoying/dangerous when people tail you to get your attention (especially on the highway/higher speeds)...

what I do is if there are multiple lanes, I simply gradually slow down by lifting off the throttle...either that or slow down then switch out of the lane until the guy passes...these "bad guys" just wanna keep going fast and will not fail to pass you if you're not going at their desired speed...

if there is only one lane then just keep you speed constant and pretend they're not even there...imo the worst thing you could do is speed up

- also good to hear your rav4 protected you and your kid in that accident...sounds scary...i hate buses...in my area they merge into traffic from bus stops without even looking for passing cars
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Mech_Man
I'm feeling much better now, Dave
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92 (MontegoBlue/Bk)

I feel for ya, my previous e36 was rear ended while I was stopped at a red light by an inattentive taxi driver. My car was too old to fix so it got totaled --- and I got a new car several years earlier than planned !!!

But here's a few tips: Make sure the police report states that you were stopped, and that you were rear ended. That makes it obvious that it's the other driver's fault. (My report actually spelled that out). This makes it all on the other guy's insurance.
You'll still need to notify your own insurance, but not file a claim with them unless the other insurance renigs.

Also, check the internet and your own insurance to find out your rights in regard to:
1) The loss in value of the car, damaged but repaired (Depreciated value from damage, I think it's called). Some states allow you to ask for this, others don't.

2) The difference in value of your car if the replacement parts are genuine BMW parts, versus 3rd-party new parts. If they claim that using 3rd party parts is 'just as good', then get the appraisers to give you their expert opinion of the depreciated value of a damaged car, repaired to spec with and without genuine parts.

You can get these value differences by requiring the insurance to pay for a 3rd party professional car damage appraiser's opinion. If the insurance has you go to a national chain repair shop, then they should have an appraiser that can give you these.

Most of the above won't be provided by your insurance, if you are at fault, but if the other driver is at fault you have the very significant extra leverage of always being able to take them to court for damages, plus costs.

I did that, (the value difference was less than the maximum limit for my local Small Claims Court, and the work to file was tiny). I ended up accepting their adjusted-counteroffer of several hundred dollars more. Worth the effort and more fair.
Appreciate 0