E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Angel Eyes on a lease vehicle with regular Halogens

05-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Angel Eyes on a lease vehicle with regular Halogens

I am planning on leasing a MY 2010 328i, still waiting on the news about incentives this month.

I am not able to find Xenon headlights on 95% of the vehicles in stock with dealers. Anything, if at all, comes with Xenons has Nav and other bunch of stuff which adds to my cost.

The Question for me is, is it possible to REPLACE the Halogens with Xenons? I believe bulbs can be replaced, but how about performance comparison. Day time running lights Look is one thing, convenience in Night driving is another, and I am concerned about both.

I believe the construction of Halogen headlights is different from Xenon Headlights and mere replacement of the bulbs may not suffice. I do not know for sure though.

If there is a good solution to this issue, does it create any issues with warranty (battery/electronics), since I will be leasing.

Any comments and suggestions. I greatly appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
mbhforum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi Sedan

I wish I had your problem! I wanted Monaco Blue with ZSP, Nav, ZPP, but all that was left in stock for 2010 were Halogens. I really wish I had xenons. I upgraded to Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's and also got the LUX 5.0 Angel Eye LED replacements (while cool), nothing cosmetically or safety wise provides the look of Xenons. Don't beat yourself up over it since it's a lease though.
2010 Monaco Blue 328xi Sedan - Dark Burl Wood Trim - Dakota Beige Leather - Steptronic - ZVP - ZSP - ZPP - Nav - Sat - PDC - Comfort Access - Heated Steering Wheel and Seats - Mods: 35% Tints - Sylvania Superstar Ultra H7's - Lux 5.0 Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

No, you dont put HIDs in halogen housings.

It will cost you over $1k to put in OEM HID housings, and you'll still void electrical warranty with the HID kit.

You gotta pay to play. Lease a car that has what you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
bavarianboar
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 540i, 2020 430i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbhforum View Post
I wish I had your problem! I wanted Monaco Blue with ZSP, Nav, ZPP, but all that was left in stock for 2010 were Halogens. I really wish I had xenons. I upgraded to Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's and also got the LUX 5.0 Angel Eye LED replacements (while cool), nothing cosmetically or safety wise provides the look of Xenons. Don't beat yourself up over it since it's a lease though.
THE reason why I have not leased yet. I would have got it last week and put 500 miles on it by now.

I struggle a bit in night driving though have not had major issues. It is more of convenience and comfort than style right now.

2011. Convenience Package has Xenons. Wish they made them standard, why would anyone want to use Halogens if they had a better option.

Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
No, you dont put HIDs in halogen housings.

It will cost you over $1k to put in OEM HID housings, and you'll still void electrical warranty with the HID kit.

You gotta pay to play. Lease a car that has what you want.
Will get a car with Xenons, hope some exist in this country .

My dealership told me right thing I believe, about $1K and still voiding warranty.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianboar View Post
THE reason why I have not leased yet. I would have got it last week and put 500 miles on it by now.

I struggle a bit in night driving though have not had major issues. It is more of convenience and comfort than style right now.

2011. Convenience Package has Xenons. Wish they made them standard, why would anyone want to use Halogens if they had a better option.

Thanks for the info

Will get a car with Xenons, hope some exist in this country .

My dealership told me right thing I believe, about $1K and still voiding warranty.

Thanks!
your dealer is dumb or lieing to you(probably just to get you to forget about the headlights and buy already), bc the cheapest ive seen on here for real xenons is 1200 a set(which is a good price), 750 for the LCI halogens that have the halo ring, but still halogens
      05-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

If you are set on the xenon option, get them from the factory. You can retrofit the option after the fact but I don't think you will save anymore by doing it. It may add to your lease but figure that if you spend the same amount on parts as the overall added cost to your lease, you are no better off and it's not under warranty.

With that said, if you find the vehicle of your dreams and the only thing it lacks is xenons, it is possible to do it with an OE set. We are also working on aftermarket replacements that will be more affordable.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #7
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Where's the part about the angel eyes?

It's a lease. No major tampering with electronics. I know you can find one with xenons.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
rothwem
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Wagon

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
If you're leasing, why not order exactly what you want? In my mind, that's the ONLY reason to get a brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
mbhforum
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328xi Sedan

I had to decide on color I wanted (Monaco Blue being discontinued in 2011) or xenons. I chose color as to me that was my #1 priority. I would say when I added the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, I improved the stock halogens by about 15-20%, so that might be an option for you that didn't void the warranty.
2010 Monaco Blue 328xi Sedan - Dark Burl Wood Trim - Dakota Beige Leather - Steptronic - ZVP - ZSP - ZPP - Nav - Sat - PDC - Comfort Access - Heated Steering Wheel and Seats - Mods: 35% Tints - Sylvania Superstar Ultra H7's - Lux 5.0 Angel Eyes
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Angry3
All your 1 are belong to us!!!
Rep
Drives: '08 135i 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrothwell View Post
If you're leasing, why not order exactly what you want? In my mind, that's the ONLY reason to get a brand new car.
Doing an order is always the best way to go all things being equal, but BMWFS lease terms on leftover MY cars are often considerably better than those on the current model year (either in terms of money factor or rebates). I would have loved to custom order, but I found a car that was almost exactly what I wanted. That premium hi-fi just wasn't worth another $240 a month

Plus with a lease it doesn't matter that the car is an extra model year old, the depreciation becomes someone else's problem at lease end.
Appreciate 0