E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Carputer with 7" touchscreen in ashtray

05-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Apander
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Carputer with 7" touchscreen in ashtray

Hi everyone.
Just wanted to post some pics of my carputer project that is finished, for now "till i have more time". My car didn't come equipped with iDrive, I lack any sense of direction and Fayetteville NC lacks a structured road system, so GPS was a must.
I looked into many options, but none fit my criteria of: keeping the car looking stock, not an attractant to thieves, and a fixed system. I almost went the route of swapping the dash with the iDrive dash and placing a touch screen in the hump. But that option was to expensive and labor intensive.
So what i ended up with was a carputer. It also has the benefits of being an entertainment center, JB3 interface and having the power of a pc in your car at all times.
The computer used was a Dell Mini 9 netbook, monitor was removed and usb powered fans were taped on to keep it cool in the glove box. The mini 9 is cooled by heat sinks, so in the enclosed space i ran into overheating problems but the fans fixed it.
the screen is a 7" Lilliput EBY701 touchscreen. Outer casing was stripped, only the screen and accompanying controls were placed into the ashtray space. I bought the sunglasses tray to work on so i wouldn't botch my stock components. but it turns out no cutting was required.
The view angle from the seat is perfect at night, however in "direct" sun light you would have to look straight down at the screen to operate it, but most of the time its usable. I am in the process of looking into some type of anti glare coating. A very small portion of the bottom of the screen is covered by the console trim, but it doesn't interfere with operations. If you need to see it just adjust your head over the screen a bit. Overall the functionality of the screen is very good.
To get the car back too looking completely stock. simply place the trim piece back over the screen and you have a bone stock 335i to deter thieves as well.
To be able to turn the laptop on remotely "the ghetto switch pictured in the armrest", you have to solder 2 wires to the laptop switch and run it to a place of your choosing "not a hard task". The audio from the computer runs into the armrest input so volume, etc.. can be controlled from the stock head unit.
GPS used was a 2008 or 2007 "cant remember" Microsoft GPS unit and running Garmin PC 2010 Q1 maps.the GPS was placed in the glove box at the very top directly against the dash, so no interference from metals, the signal is great. For interface software i used both Centrafuse 2.0 and Ride runner, Centrafuse was nice and very clean looking but very CPU intensive so i am currently using Ride Runner. I also have my Palm phone set to tether to the computer when i want Internet anywhere, to update weather and lookup places, etc.

Things to work on: 1. Make a nicer power switch 2. Find a way to have the computer turn on with the car 3. Find a way to reduce glare 4. Clean up the install.

I will put up some pictures of the screen at night once it is dark here as well as some pics of my concealed Passport 9500ci radar detector and laser shifters. I love that thing.
Sorry its not a DIY yet, i was learning as i was making it and i dont want to pull the center trim off right now to take pictures of the inside of the screen as i am prone to braking trim. Maybe when i have a bit of free time i will do a DIY. the project was very cheap $160 for the screen (ebay), $230 for the netbook (craigslist) and $25-30 for the gps which you can find anywhere.

Feel free to ask questions and i will help to the best of my abilities.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
smellfish
No one on the corner has stagger like us
Rep
Drives: '11 AW E90

That's a sweet setup man! Very cool fitment even if it is a bit of an akward viewing angle. For starting up with the car there maybe a BIOS setting like "boot after power failure" or something that might work similar to how my media center is setup.
      05-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Apander
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellfish View Post
That's a sweet setup man! Very cool fitment even if it is a bit of an akward viewing angle. For starting up with the car there maybe a BIOS setting like "boot after power failure" or something that might work similar to how my media center is setup.
Thanks man. Unfortunately there is no option in my BIOS for "boot after power failure". I know there are options out there, but costly options, for a one time momentary switch when the car is initially powered on. I was trying do improvise such a device but i dont have the electrical expertise.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
Ovalcram
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Damn son, that looks sick!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Apander
Enlisted Member
Rep

some pics of the screen at night from my line of sight sitting, and the concealed radar detector.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

I think I may do this with a small motorized tilt behind it to get it up about 30*. I'll do it with a 6" screen

I've built a few of these. Very good job. Piece of advice. You can clean up the appearance by taking a piece of thin abs plastic and putting some black suade on it. Cut it to fit the opening of the screen. That will frame the screen better and give it a bit of a cleaner look. That was constructive. It came out great!!

This is the screen I have used in the past - I may cut the opening a bit more and use this one again. I'll fiberglass the outside to fit flush with it and then cf the trim. Thakns for the motivation!

http://store.mp3car.com/Mimo_720_S_S..._p/mon-070.htm

Last edited by Jake@MOTIV; 05-01-2010 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Wow! That is very cool. Have you looked on mp3car.com? They have power supplies that power on and off with your car. They also have a great forum. Check out their store. Last time I was interested in getting a carPC setup, I think the price for the power supply was like $100 - $150.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
Apander
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Wow! That is very cool. Have you looked on mp3car.com? They have power supplies that power on and off with your car. They also have a great forum. Check out their store. Last time I was interested in getting a carPC setup, I think the price for the power supply was like $100 - $150.
Yea, i have looked on mp3 car. My problem isnt a power supply though, since its a netbook, not a true carpc. I suppose i should do some research and figure out what type of relay i would need to use to improvise a "turn on with car power" relay.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
Apander
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i View Post
I think I may do this with a small motorized tilt behind it to get it up about 30*. I'll do it with a 6" screen

I've built a few of these. Very good job. Piece of advice. You can clean up the appearance by taking a piece of thin abs plastic and putting some black suade on it. Cut it to fit the opening of the screen. That will frame the screen better and give it a bit of a cleaner look. That was constructive. It came out great!!

This is the screen I have used in the past - I may cut the opening a bit more and use this one again. I'll fiberglass the outside to fit flush with it and then cf the trim. Thakns for the motivation!

http://store.mp3car.com/Mimo_720_S_S..._p/mon-070.htm
Thanks for the advice. I originally tried to install the screen with a tilt and even spring loaded, but the 7" is too big for the opening. a 5" or 6" might work though.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

82nd?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #11
Apander
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000fl View Post
82nd?
2/7th
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

Wow that is siiick, absolutely astonishing
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
issabmw
cool beans
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi

A little curious, what do those modules under the wiper and behind the grille function as?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #15
Apander
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by issabmw View Post
A little curious, what do those modules under the wiper and behind the grille function as?

Thanks
Behind the grill is the radar detector, lower grill is the laser shifter and the windshield wiper is the GPS for the radar detector to warn at red light cameras speedtraps and log false locations.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #16
Jake@MOTIV
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

What interface are you running on the touchscreen?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
very nice, im not sure if i like the placement but its very cool
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #18
atlxkevinx
Never 2econd
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

Wow, that's pretty cool!

2007 E92 335i Coupe | Space Gray | Coral Red | Sport | Cold Weather | Navi | iDrive | Logic7
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #19
um_fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 Montego Blue

Nice

What front end are you using? That looks nice...
Have you checked out www.mp3car.com
For start up and shut down, why not look here
http://store.mp3car.com/Automotive_A...plies_s/22.htm

I'm using a 150 OPUS PSU since I installed it in my car back in 2005
Here is my install in my truck http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...lots-pics.html

Do you plan on using a keyboard? I know of a nice small wireless keyboard that you could pick up for about $50
Let me if your interested!
-----EDIT------
Notice your using RR...still wanna know what front end....I haven't been keeping up on MP3Car as I use to!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #20
Apander
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by um_fan View Post
What front end are you using? That looks nice...
Have you checked out www.mp3car.com
For start up and shut down, why not look here
http://store.mp3car.com/Automotive_A...plies_s/22.htm

I'm using a 150 OPUS PSU since I installed it in my car back in 2005
Here is my install in my truck http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...lots-pics.html

Do you plan on using a keyboard? I know of a nice small wireless keyboard that you could pick up for about $50
Let me if your interested!
-----EDIT------
Notice your using RR...still wanna know what front end....I haven't been keeping up on MP3Car as I use to!
The front end is Elite lite 2.0. For the power on with car issue i created a fix today. I pulled out the ignition button and ran the laptop power button wires to the back of the ignition switch. Since the ignition switch is just a momentary button i improvised the two wires to make contact when the start button is pushed, so the computer now powers on when i start the car and of when i turn it off. I still have a separate switch in case i need to reset the computer while driving.
I haven't had a need for a keyboard yet since the touchscreen is running flawlessly, but i do keep one in the trunk if i need to troubleshoot.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #21
Apander
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyLow335i View Post
What interface are you running on the touchscreen?
Riderunner with Elite lite 2.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
very nice, im not sure if i like the placement but its very cool
Thank you, i know its not the ideal placement for viewing, but given that the E90 has limited dash space for peripherals and the fact that i can conceal it, worked out great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlxkevinx View Post
Wow, that's pretty cool!
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 12:46 AM   #22
wareagle900
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Very Very cool! I am planning an Ipad install into mine here in the next month. will be attached to the cupholder and removable.
Appreciate 0